Sponsored by:

997.2 - plastic vibration around frunk/battery @ >70mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 - plastic vibration around frunk/battery @ >70mph

I have a plastic vibration (plastic 'buzzing' sound) when driving around 70mph+. It seems to happen more with the colder weather, around freezing.

I believe the vibration is where the battery chamber meets the adjacent plastic panel that houses the brake fluid, and the long plastic piece that runs along the edge and length of the funk. I pulled up the long panel along the side of the frunk, and applied new velcro strips. I also tried to tighten the plastic connections. This lessened the vibration slightly, but it is still happening.

Has anyone else had this issue? It seems that the plastic panel at the brake fluid area is really..... well.... cheap. Flimsy! It has lots of 'give' when you push down on it.

I am 3 months new to this car. Everything else is fantastic. This vibration is driving me a little nuts though. I'm thinking of trying to apply some adhesive felt, but am interested to see if someone else has come up with a solution before I start to troubleshoot. I also don't want to 'problem solve' with duct tape!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

The dealer fix squeaks with felt tape so I think this is a good idea. That entire trunk area has a nice cosmetic look to it but I struggle with the way everything fits together sometimes. The stuff isn't very secure. My DVD door flops open while driving and the top panel isn't very secure. I have the same problem with those long plastic strips. The velcro doesn't work. I bought some better velcro so I'm hoping the glue works.

Check your battery to make sure it is secure.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

The battery is secure. I replaced it when I took ownership of the car... first thing that went!

The fit of the plastic definitely seems to be the issue.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I like the felt idea. I think if you clean the plastic surfaces really well and apply the felt rolling it around the edges this will do the job. Let me know how it works.

Originally Posted by cash-man
The battery is secure. I replaced it when I took ownership of the car... first thing that went!

The fit of the plastic definitely seems to be the issue.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

I'll grab some today and test it out. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Felt installation part 1 = FAIL..... Somewhat. I put it between the loose bits, and I am still getting the buzz vibration sound at >70mph. It has lessened by about 50%. This could either be my amazing felt installation abilities, or the warmer weather. I'm hoping it's my installation.

Going to have to monkey around with this a bit.

BTW Spokane5150, I dig the colour of your ride.... got the same myself, but with full beige interior.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Originally Posted by cash-man
Felt installation part 1 = FAIL..... Somewhat. I put it between the loose bits, and I am still getting the buzz vibration sound at >70mph. It has lessened by about 50%. This could either be my amazing felt installation abilities, or the warmer weather. I'm hoping it's my installation.

Going to have to monkey around with this a bit.

BTW Spokane5150, I dig the colour of your ride.... got the same myself, but with full beige interior.
Nice...the Ruby is beautiful in the sun light. Pictures don't do it justice. The felt installation worked a little. I wish there was a better way. You could buy some Dynamat and stick it to the underside of some of these plastic bits. I bet that would work. It's the stuff they use for sound deadening when putting in big subs. Don't ask me how I know this but it works like a dream. Link below:

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Dynamat.... good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. My neighbor is always tinkering with his car stereo - I'll have to borrow some from him on the weekend.

Have you had to install sound deadening/felt on your 997?

It is quite stunning in the sun! The dealer I picked it up from had posted some horrible looking photos. Awful white balance and lighting. Made the car look more like a bad/dull Carmen Red. I think those photos provided little attention from buyers, but gave me quite the deal!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I've used dynamat in my Audi. I have about a $10k stereo which was a total waste of money but fun to say the least. The dynamat work very well.

I don't have any issues with vibration or squeaks in my car. It is perfectly sound.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

So we sound matted (with Hushmat, as he had a LOT of it to spare) the underside of each plastic panel surrounding the 'frunk pit'. #FAIL.

The noise is still there. My helpful neighbor described it more as wind buffeting. Sounds like it is coming right in front of the driver. The saga continues!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Have you had your windshield replaced lately?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Nope. Windshield is original. Car is a 2009 w/ 28,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: 997.2 - plastic vibration around frunk/battery @ >70mph