Sponsored by:

Vaseline on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The same recommendation appeared in my '84 Carrera manual for use on the forged Fuchs wheels. I tried it. After rubbing the vaseline in thoroughly and removing the residue the black centers on particular looked good. But the wheels obviously still had a slight greasiness to them which, while providing protection, made them dirt magnets. Went back to waxing.....
I've been using petroleum jelly for 16 years now on Fuchs. The key to avoiding the greasiness is to really buff out those black paddles on the Fuchs. Almost like you are trying to completely remove the stuff. I use flannel and have had excellent results with no greasiness for years...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
I've been using petroleum jelly for 16 years now on Fuchs. The key to avoiding the greasiness is to really buff out those black paddles on the Fuchs. Almost like you are trying to completely remove the stuff. I use flannel and have had excellent results with no greasiness for years...
Maybe I wasn't concientious enough. Actually, I figured that if I was going to completely rub off the vaseline what was the point in the first place? Ultimately, wax just ended up being a better solution for me. But obviously the petroleum jelly works for you and for Amar (wootPorsche), and Porsche has been recommending it for years so there must be something to it.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe I wasn't concientious enough. Actually, I figured that if I was going to completely rub off the vaseline what was the point in the first place? Ultimately, wax just ended up being a better solution for me. But obviously the petroleum jelly works for you and for Amar (wootPorsche), and Porsche has been recommending it for years so there must be something to it.
The first few times around, I thought, man, this petroleum jelly thing is weird. Big greasy mess. But, being a way too **** retentive concours enthusiast, I kept working with it. On a "naked" untreated Fuchs rim, you can never really remove all of the jelly with just a flannel towel and elbow grease. That surface is always covered with jelly and I think it works in the tiny pores of the anodized surface.

Mike, no offense was meant to you in my previous post.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
Mike, no offense was meant to you in my previous post.
None taken, Jay!

Quick Reply: Vaseline on wheels