Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with clear bra, question for you...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those with clear bra, question for you...

Hi Everyone, so I finally buckled and installed a clear bra on my 997.2. Very good job but noticed one thing. Noticed at some of the edges, the 3m doesn't reach the very end. In some parts, the cut appears a bit short on the bumper (in some of the edges). Is this normal? The installer told me that was the design of the pre-cut piece.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

These never held any appeal to me! It's just a car.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

There are two types of clear bra installs, one is precut which will typically not cover the entire panel and will have visible edges. A custom install is more expensive and requires the installer to use a razor to careful cut the pieces after application. A custom install allows for full coverage with edges placed behind the body panel out of sight.

What you see is normal for precut pieces.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 02-21-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My custom job shows zero lines. Headlamps, blinkers, side markers by wheel well all came out first.

Took installer about 3 hours. Cost was about $450 for bumper only, no hood or fenders. You would never know I had clear bra unless I told you or you had a trained eye.

Like previous poster stated mine was one sheet and the installer was an artist with a razor blade.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mark Harris; 02-20-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

As said above, it is normal to have a small edge on the pre cut.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Minimal extra cost for custom made bumper.
Go with Premiere if you are in NCAL.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

normal, but if you go custom, use an installer with a lift
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
normal, but if you go custom, use an installer with a lift
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
best installer here says what he does isn't rocket science, but one of the reasons he is perfect is he puts his cars on a lift. Gives him better access and perspective... makes sense.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 PM
saint828
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Agree. I finally buckled but you notice I only did it for the bumper. Won't do it anywhere else!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

As other forumers mentioned, it depends on the installer. Good installers will 'tug' the film edge behind the end of the gaps, so the film will not be visible to naked eyes.

Regards,

Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM
pro-tect mobile
AutoX

It is farily common for kit installers to not wrap the edges. I have found over the yaers that 3M installers typically use 3M patterns. Just like films not all patterns are the same. The two best pattern companies out there are Pro-Form Designs and Xpel. Both companies will make kits providing maximum coverage while minimizing seam lines. Most of their kits will have wrapped edges too htus eliminating anyone from cutting on the paint. There are only a handful of installers out there that take their time and have the skill set to cut the film on the car without cutting the paint. If you go that route make sure you check his work out. You dont want to pull film off the car only to find the paint was cut everywhere.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
J.G. Rausa
Advanced

Default Xpel Ultimate

Just picked up my GTS yesterday after appliaction of Xpel Ultimate, full hood, mirrors and replacement of stock rear fender stone guards. Self-healing with a 10 year warranty is an attractive offering. Here is a link http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

As has been mentioned previously, a quality installer is critical. I used Bill Yeager at ACAP in Manheim, PA. Bill is widely known among Porsche enthusiats in Central PA. Experienced, knowlegeable and proud of his work. In addition to the new Xpel application, he cleaned the Xpel I applied to my headlights and driving lights last year as well as correcting the bumper fitment (the dealer incorrectly fitted bumper after installing the mesh infront of the radiator vents). Bill comes highly recommended.

To the OPs question, the pre-cut Xpel only showed an edge at very rear of the hood, on either fender side for about 4 inches. The advantage to precut is the installer does not use a blade to trim/cut. The edge that shows is not objectionable to me.

Pics show reflective quality of the Xpel. I had considered a matte finish clear protection over a matte black vinyl, but glad I choose the clear Xpel instead.

Joe
Attached Images   

Last edited by J.G. Rausa; 02-25-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: reduce pic size
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by J.G. Rausa
Just picked up my GTS yesterday after appliaction of Xpel Ultimate, full hood, mirrors and replacement of stock rear fender stone guards. Self-healing with a 10 year warranty is an attractive offering. Here is a link http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

As has been mentioned previously, a quality installer is critical. I used Bill Yeager at ACAP in Manheim, PA. Bill is widely known among Porsche enthusiats in Central PA. Experienced, knowlegeable and proud of his work. In addition to the new Xpel application, he cleaned the Xpel I applied to my headlights and driving lights last year as well as correcting the bumper fitment (the dealer incorrectly fitted bumper after installing the mesh infront of the radiator vents). Bill comes highly recommended.

To the OPs question, the pre-cut Xpel only showed an edge at very rear of the hood, on either fender side for about 4 inches. The advantage to precut is the installer does not use a blade to trim/cut. The edge that shows is not objectionable to me.

Pics show reflective quality of the Xpel. I had considered a matte finish clear protection over a matte black vinyl, but glad I choose the clear Xpel instead.

Joe
Interestin product that I aint seen before Joe !

Just havin the 3M done to the front and partial hood in two weeks.

Quick Reply: For those with clear bra, question for you...