Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has that used PDK 997.2 you're considering been "Launch Controlled" to death?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Has that used PDK 997.2 you're considering been "Launch Controlled" to death?

Let's say that your dealer calls you up and says that he has an interesting PDK 997.2 C4S Cab (with Sports Chrono Plus of course) that he wants you to take a look at. Is there any way of knowing if the car has been flogged to within an inch of it's life - specifically with "Launch Control" - or if it's only been driven to church by the proverbial little old lady down the street? It's not like a 6-speed where you can run the DME and look for excessively exuberant Range 4+ over-revs.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Speaking to the previous owner may help or get a feel for the care he applied to the car

For me I checked the tires for wear to miles travelled. But its a tough call. Hopefully the original owner broke the car in correctly for 2k.

I don't think you can over-rev a motor with PDK ....
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't you bump the PDk against the rev limiter which would also mean you could screw up a downshift and record some Range 4's +?

Subscribed because I was considering a PDK (CPO'ed) but would want to still run a DME or at least understand the question also.

I was at the Rolex 24 and as a fund raiser a non for profit was giving rides in 991's around an autocross course for a $15 donation. There was a line the whole weekend. These cars where just getting hammered all day and night. Pirelli was a sponsor and the rep said they would go through 50 sets of tires that weekend. Pirrelli had 2 guys off in a corner continually mounting tires.

I assume Porsche provided the cars. I kept thinking to myself that PCNA will clean up those cars and sell them off as mfg/exec cars, some dealer will clean them up some more, CPO them and then an unsuspecting sap like myself would buy one.

Did I mention these cars were having the crap beat out of them?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the car with PDK but I aint messed with it too much, its all still new to me.

But I did read that you can go by several gears by holding the shift button/paddle. In automatic it shifts three to four gears very quickly at low mph.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
Let's say that your dealer calls you up and says that he has an interesting PDK 997.2 C4S Cab (with Sports Chrono Plus of course) that he wants you to take a look at. Is there any way of knowing if the car has been flogged to within an inch of it's life - specifically with "Launch Control" - or if it's only been driven to church by the proverbial little old lady down the street? It's not like a 6-speed where you can run the DME and look for excessively exuberant Range 4+ over-revs.
While I read someplace that Porsche doesn't count the number of times the launch control feature has been activated I suspect there's a counter.

Ask for a DME overrev readout. And what you get post here for comment.

At the same time, ask if there's a launch control usage count and if so you want that read as well.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Can't you bump the PDk against the rev limiter which would also mean you could screw up a downshift and record some Range 4's +?

Subscribed because I was considering a PDK (CPO'ed) but would want to still run a DME or at least understand the question also.

I was at the Rolex 24 and as a fund raiser a non for profit was giving rides in 991's around an autocross course for a $15 donation. There was a line the whole weekend. These cars where just getting hammered all day and night. Pirelli was a sponsor and the rep said they would go through 50 sets of tires that weekend. Pirrelli had 2 guys off in a corner continually mounting tires.

I assume Porsche provided the cars. I kept thinking to myself that PCNA will clean up those cars and sell them off as mfg/exec cars, some dealer will clean them up some more, CPO them and then an unsuspecting sap like myself would buy one.

No. The PDK won't shift in to a lower gear if doing so would cause the engine's redline to be exceeded.

BTW, some months ago parked on the street in front my work I spotted car hauler loaded with some nice new cars (no Porsches, but some MINIs, BMWs, and other brands) and noticed right away the brake discs had been overheated.

I took pics and talked to the driver of the car hauler. He told me he had picked up the cars at a northern CA race track where the cars had be made available to the press for track time/evaluation. He was taking the cars to a business that specialized in refurbishing the car; replacing worn tires (some were quite worn); brakes obviously; and I do not know what else; so the cars could then be turned around and sold.

As mfg/exec/demo cars? Who knows?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 530 Posts

I doubt you would find anything beyond range 1. I know of no way to determine if launch control has been used or not. I can say that I never used launch control on my 09 Cayman S. I haven't used it on my GTS either.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they will. I almost bought one once.

You can tell because the CarFax will show original title issued at xx,xxx miles with no prior history. From what I've seen, PCNA gets rid of them at about 12k - 14k miles.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 566 Posts

?
not possible w pdk
Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

$15.00?? I was charged $20.00. WTF. I guess they is why they call those launch vehicles.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by function12
$15.00?? I was charged $20.00. WTF. I guess they is why they call those launch vehicles.
Mentioned this previously. I purchased my 2009 PDK Sans sports chrono but had found that it could be added after market before buying car. Purchased the car at a good discount ("pdk no sports chrono = sucker move") with no worries about excessive launch control and will add sports option in Spring.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of 2009 Launch cars out there when I was looking a few yrs ago, ParkPlace had a couple with 3-4K miles on them , never titled in a private owners name. PDK with SC....I thought the same thing, that they were 'test' cars...

Quick Reply: Has that used PDK 997.2 you're considering been "Launch Controlled" to death?