Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend: Corvette vs. 991 Carerra S

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about buying a Z06 Vette especially since my parents worked for GM but I'm very pleased that I purchased a slightly used well maintained Porsche. The car is fantastic!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DHC, that's really a great avatar...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ralt12
DHC, that's really a great avatar...
Nice ***...

... just need that bloomin' woman to get out of the way so we can get closer.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Well you all seem to think the performance is an inherent and monolithic aspect of a vehicle.

One thing you can notice over the years is how much difference a tire can make.

Cannot speculate what "might have been" but even the rag mentioned the tires as a weak link. If I were driving for fun would agree with 1 Carnut. he's only had a few more Porsches than me, and also a Z 06. They are a great car and you can put a few $$$$ into them and make them even nicer...

On the track, a proper Z 06 can catch and dress an RS. Been there, both sides...

These are new cars. A Gran Sport... meh.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice avatar, allegretto.......

And your's too, DHC, although in a different way!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

^

Thanks. My puppy with my youngest...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

what kind of asinine comparison was that. Ridiculous price difference (grand sport plus a daily driver E-class for that rain...), in the rain, brand new platform vs one that is 7 years old.

waste of time.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what kind of asinine comparison was that. Ridiculous price difference (grand sport plus a daily driver E-class for that rain...), in the rain, brand new platform vs one that is 7 years old.

waste of time.
Interesting one.....you get what you pay for and you can actually use a 911 as a daily driver ......Chevy is still hyping and selling it aren't they?

I enjoyed it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting one.....you get what you pay for and you can actually use a 911 as a daily driver ......Chevy is still hyping and selling it aren't they?

I enjoyed it.
Most people's daily drive doesn't including topanga canyon. I'd think the corvette can handle the trip on the highway in the rain just fine.

Of course you get what you pay for...and in this case you're paying about $55k more. That isn't chump change.

Of course chevy is still hyping and selling it. Its entering its last 2 years or so of production, and they are trying to squeeze it to the last drop. Why wouldn't they?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove my previous Boxster once in conditions where it was in the mid to upper 30's and snowing, but the roads were wet and I had my summer tires mounted. It was probably very similar conditions to what this test was done in. That was down right scary in a 245 hp whimpy Boxster. The Boxster was moving constantly from side to side at 55 mph on the freeway as I white knuckled it to work (and everyone blew past me at 70+ mph). I can't imagine what those conditions would be like in a large horsepower 'Vette. Even more scary. Those massive performance Goodyear Supercar tires are hard plastic in temps below 40 or 45.

With winter tires, my Boxster was a snowmobile, but I got caught in a late spring snow fall but had my winter tires swapped out already and was too lazy to change them for this late April batch of winter.

Obviously the 991 was on summer tires as well in this test and those OEM Pirelli's (I assume) did well in the 30 degree temps and with wet roads from the snow, but I bet there is a bit more all season compound in the OEM tires Porsche has equipped the 991 with.

It would be very interesting to equip both cars with winter performance tires and run the same test. Would the 'vette still be a handful?

Tires are everything...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

People are overthinking this and focusing on the wrong issues, IMO. That price is skewing the results, in particular, is way overblown. For example, let's say that the comparison was between a 991S and a Ferrari 458. The 458, at more than twice the base price of the Porsche, would outshine the 991 in performance by close to the same amount as the 991 beat the Vette, but in terms of quality and everyday useability the Porsche would be close and even superior in some ways. The 458 would come out on top overall but I guarantee that no one would conclude that it was "10 times better" than the 991.

This was a look at the quintessential German sports car and the quintessential American one. They are the only two sports cars that have been around for 50 years, give or take. It's a natural comparison and has been since the beginning of both models. Everybody knows the Porsche is more expensive. Everybody knows the Corvette has the big V8 and more power. German technology versus American muscle. Get over the money part, look at the objective facts and subjective impressions, and evaluate them at face value. Then if the money part of the equation is important to you, decide for yourself if the extra cost is worth the extra capability. But no excuses; in this test, between these cars, the Porsche was the best, by a lot. Simple.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
People are overthinking this and focusing on the wrong issues, IMO. That price is skewing the results, in particular, is way overblown. For example, let's say that the comparison was between a 991S and a Ferrari 458. The 458, at more than twice the base price of the Porsche, would outshine the 991 in performance by close to the same amount as the 991 beat the Vette, but in terms of quality and everyday useability the Porsche would be close and even superior in some ways. The 458 would come out on top overall but I guarantee that no one would conclude that it was "10 times better" than the 991.

This was a look at the quintessential German sports car and the quintessential American one. They are the only two sports cars that have been around for 50 years, give or take. It's a natural comparison and has been since the beginning of both models. Everybody knows the Porsche is more expensive. Everybody knows the Corvette has the big V8 and more power. German technology versus American muscle. Get over the money part, look at the objective facts and subjective impressions, and evaluate them at face value. Then if the money part of the equation is important to you, decide for yourself if the extra cost is worth the extra capability. But no excuses; in this test, between these cars, the Porsche was the best, by a lot. Simple.
You seem to still feel that there are some left over bones to pick between the 911 and the Vette-which is fine. For me, the Vette/Porsche thing may have been valid 10-15 years ago. The two models today IMO from a consumer's eye, have never been more further apart. What's left for me is the value proposition.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I could understand the comparison better if these cars ended up on a race track against each other..... I sure wish these cars would wind up on a race track to face off. Maybe an endurance race something..
Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Franklin229
You seem to still feel that there are some left over bones to pick between the 911 and the Vette-which is fine. For me, the Vette/Porsche thing may have been valid 10-15 years ago. The two models today IMO from a consumer's eye, have never been more further apart. What's left for me is the value proposition.
No bones to pick. I just read the test at face value and found it interesting. It wasn't until people started making excuses for the results and the Vette's relatively poor showing because of price, age of platform, different consumer demographic, etc. etc, that I decided to make a comment about the "value" issue and the relevance of the comparison. More power to you if, because of cost or some other reason, you prefer the Corvette. For me, and FWIW the guys at MT, even taking the price disadvantage into account, the Porsche clearly wins. If we can at least agree on those points we've got nothing else to argue about.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: Corvette vs. 991 Carerra S