Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealer not willing/able to CPO a car they are selling..??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Why don't you just pass on it? Let someone else deal with it...
just trying to figure out on what basis you say that... sure passing is easy, but if car is right, if engine/service is done right, and if deal is good, then I am not sure it makes sense to pass if you cant get a CPO (as long as I can get 3rd party and get a good deal)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Have you seen the carfax report? Is the accidental damage reported and flagged on carfax? If there is a redflag, I'd walk. It will be much harder to sell this car down the road. My rule of thumb, always buy cars with no stories. How many miles per year do you plan on giving the new car?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
I'm looking at buying a 2007 997 from a local dealer. From the carfax it looks like the car was a lease/fleet vehicle in CA and the dealer bought the car at auction. The car has 40k miles on it and is being offered without a CPO

In transporting the car from CA to the local dealer it apparently got damaged and three body panels had to be repaired. When i asked the dealer if they could CPO the car for me, they mentioned that they couldn't due to the shipping damage/repair.

Does this make any sense? I know PNA wont let dealers CPO a car if there is aftermarket equipment installed or if the car was in a serious wreck. Had not heard that they can't CPO if there is damage/repair on some panels during shipment.

Any thoughts/advice/insight is appreciated.
My 03 Turbo sustained damage to 3 body panels: front bumper cover; front trunk lid; passenger side fender; and required (arctic silver paint) paint blending on adjacent panels and still retained its CPO coverage.

I had the car repaired at a Porsche Approved Collision Center. The repair cost came to over$25K.

I might mention though at that time the program wasn't quite implemented but I contacted the dealer and insisted that it direct me to a shop that could handle the body/paint work while the dealer and its service department took care of the mechanicals: lights, cooling system, A/C; so the car would retain its CPO warranty.

Unless the car in question suffered some big damage -- fell off the truck? -- or was subjected to a sub-par repair, I do not see why it can't be CPO'd.

But maybe there's something I don't know? Thus I would in this car's case want to know what happened and ideally I'd like to see pics of the damage and a repair invoice which details the damage repairs (the invoice/document can be pages long, too) so I could ascertain the extent of the damage.

As for the car being bought at an auction, Porsche runs lease return cars through Porsche only auctions all the time. Dealers from around the country can participate (via IIRC a private/secure Porsche web site) and bid on these cars, so this would not necessarily be any cause for concern.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

There is a difference between retaining existing CPO coverage, and qualifying for it in the first place.

Regarding the post prior, even if CarFax is currently clean, it doesn't mean this repair won't show up at a later date. Even if expertly repaired, when negotiating, the potential buyer needs to assume the incident will show up on CarFax at some point.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
I understand it was at auction since it came off lease.

I haven't seen the car yet, but supposedly the damage was at the rocker panel and the rear bumper. Understand I may take a hit on resell, but would probably keep the car for at least 4 years, so not massively concerned about that.

As for the price... it is a very nicely loaded 2007 S with 40k miles asking about $48k
In a quick check, I find that in my area (which is a pretty high priced area), we can get a 2007 for about $50k. I found this one for example for $52k: 2007, 31,000 miles, Sun/Moonroof, Heated Mirrors, Power Mirror(s), Rain Sensing Wipers, Power Seats, Pass-Through Rear Seat, Rear Bench Seat, Keyless Entry, Premium Sound System.

On the other hand, other examples rise as high as $85k (which was probably a Turbo, so not relevant) with prices in the sixties and seventies being quite usual. And that option list on my find originally had been inflated seriously by a dozen items I removed for clarity. Items that distinguish any Porsche from most Fiat Unos and are otherwise meaningless and obviously just inserted by a text paste. The lack of concern for accuracy or outright intent to deceive is clear from the assertion of a "pass-through rear seat" which would create interesting sound effects, and the "rear bench seat" which might have been true of that first prototype Porsche built in the fifties, but I'm not even sure about that.

Basically, when we read the material carefully, I found a very basic Porsche at a non-Porsche dealer for ten percent more than you found a nicely optioned example at a dealer. Not that a 'basic' Porsche isn't a hell of a lot of car, but my point is you seem to have a good price there. With a little care about the quality of repair to those body panels, you'll be getting a bargain because the price is being hurt by factors about which you care nothing.

If he would add a couple of years of service contract from a reputable source, I'd be quite happy with that deal. That is, assuming I liked the car as it stood, which we're taking for granted by your interest. I might not even insist on the service contract. That's just my bargaining instinct cutting in.

Just my thoughts,

Gary
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Have you seen the carfax report? Is the accidental damage reported and flagged on carfax? If there is a redflag, I'd walk. It will be much harder to sell this car down the road.

+1

I think folks on this forum make too much of paint work. Quality documented work isnt something to shy away from. If its a story told by a dealer with no documentation to prove anything, Id walk. I have been shopping myself and have learned to trust nothing that a seller tells you. I want to see before/after pictures. Oh, and remember that a clean carfax/autocheck means very little...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Low ball em and buy it..........as it sounds like it turns your crank.

But if you decide not too. Do not dispare , others will come.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

If the history looks good and you get the real story on the damage and its the right car for you, then I would throw an offer of $45k at him siting all the issues. Or perhaps see if they will include an aftermarket warrantee in the deal.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Thanks all... Good input and feedback. More due diligence to be done, but appreciate all your insights
Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dutchie,

Nice to see you back on the forum again!

My advice.... skip the 997.1 models and jump to the 997.2. You won't be sorry.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a used car from your local dealer, CPO or not...... but that's just me.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 PM
equ
Racer

Pass.

Nothing wrong with paintwork if you know what happened and the price reflects it. The problem with this car is that it's supposedly shipping damage, yet dealer doesn't cpo it. I don't think there is a hard & fast cpo rule. If it's just like a scratch along 3 panels and they are resprayed, why shouldn't they cpo it? It sounds like they don't really know what happened.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

go here. It explains cpo eligibility requirements
http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned-vehicles/approved/

it says all scheduled service must be performed by Porsche dealer. Maybe this car was serviced by Joe the mechanic?
It also says the car must have a clean carfax.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Tim,

Long time no talk... Where are you these days? I have been without a p-car far too long... Need to get back in. Do like the 997.2, but don't want to spend that much money.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

There is a ton of bad information in this thread, which is sort of surprising to me, since I'm new to Porsche and I know this stuff. It is not the dealer's choice to certify a car. There is a 111 point checklist from Porsche, and if the car scores 110/111, it is not eligible. End of story. There is no reason to think the dealer is hiding something because the car is not CPO. If there has been any scheduled service performed at a non-Porsche dealer, it's ineligible. if there's anything negative on the Carfax, it's ineligible. This car had damage to three panels, now repaired. It is ineligible.

I'm sure your dealer will still be happy to sell you an extended warranty that is comparable to the CPO, maybe better.

As far as the damage affecting resale, again, these are mass-produced cars. There are plenty of nicely maintained 996s that are selling for about the price of a new Honda Civic. The same is going to be true of 997s in a few years. Minor damage and resprays will have no appreciable effect on the resale price of the car by the time you're done with it; certainly not enough to cause you to walk from a deal you're otherwise happy with.

Again, I haven't researched prices on this model, so I can't tell you whether this is a fair price. I'd certainly take advantage of all this to get the best price you can from the dealer but, if you like the car, and an independent PPI blesses it, I sure wouldn't let the lack of a CPO or some (apparently) minor damage deter you from getting it.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 AM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

Not sure about Porsche, but you won't believe what I found out about a CPO'd BMW a few years back. I took this car to an independent body shop for a scrape on the rear bumper, and the foreman looked the car over and said that was the least of my problems.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealer not willing/able to CPO a car they are selling..??