Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm ready for Race Season!! Just arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012 | 01:56 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
Hi Ed,

I actually had a couple opportunities to use my new helmet on the track and go karting, I found the Arai design to be very comfortable and well constructed. Actually I believe each Arai helmet is finished by hand thus the cost is higher.

I have NOT had a chance to race with the helmet yet but I did install the HANS anchors. This helmet being predrilled, the HANS anchor install was super easy and looks great.

FWIW, I have owned OMP/AGV, Bell, Simpson (car racing) and Shoei (motorcycle) helmets. Shoei and Arai by far are the most comfortable for me, this is probably due to my weird head shape, I pretty much have a flat head.
Haha. Flat in which dimension?
I have a Bell which is quite comfortable (as much as a helmet can be comfortable, I guess). Was going to go that route again but having heard such great things about Arai, I had to give it a try.
Just wish they made the cheekpads interchangeable like they do in the considerably more expensive PED model. This would make the decision a no brainer.
Old 04-12-2012 | 02:19 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Lol - pics of head please

My bell had some 2 thin foam strips around forehead under the lining. I removed one and the fit is now less tight with the head sock on and comfy. Don't think it affects helmet strength as it was only tax-glued to the liner. Still looking for a cool visor. Painting th helmet while you wait for season is a great mod

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...s-motif-2.html

Last edited by HiWind; 04-12-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Add
Old 04-18-2012 | 03:05 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Just got mine in the mail today. Haven't had a chance to wear it for any extended period of time, but it is pretty snug around the cheeks as I remembered it. Need to source a HANS. Then next stop.....paint

Old 04-18-2012 | 09:45 AM
gonz911
Pro

Really nice equipment.
Old 04-18-2012 | 04:12 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
As my daughter says, "Meh!" Free info is free info some of it has value some of it doesn't; I could not possible care less whether you pay or not. I haven't contributed anything to this site other than selling a fellow member a car at about $6k under market - because he was a decent guy and a member. I wouldn't put words in his mouth but he might think $18 was worth it. Oh, I think I also saved someone a few thousand on a CA sales tax issue - I don't think he paid his $18 either and it didn't bother me a bit. This probably pales in comparison to what you've contributed but over time maybe I'll do better.
Good job! Adding value, right there. I definitely get my 18 bucks worth. Not sure I contribute 18 bucks worth though - so my guilt makes me pay
Old 04-18-2012 | 05:01 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

He can't be the Stig. I'm the Stig!
Old 04-18-2012 | 07:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Wannabe....are you turning your GTS into a club racer or you have another car you are building to race in?

I do a lot of DE's in my GTS...few minor mod's to it most is safety...would love to do a few more things though.

I've been through various wheels, tires. brake pads and so forth for my GTS and alignment settings. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Quick Reply: I'm ready for Race Season!! Just arrived!