Sponsored by:

Kids these days! *sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Strange
It's been a while...but I was all those kids. In the 70's I would bring a cassette tape with me to the race track (Laguna Seca) tape the cars, and then for weeks after listen to the thing with a tape player all over the house. No ear buds or iPods in those days...even one got to "share" in teh experience. My mom would laugh. I still have the tape...it's actually in my car now. 935s are a wonderful sounding car...even on a 30 year old cassette tape.
Not to change the subject, which I love, but may I say what a great photo that is? Very well composed and evocative.

G
Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC 997
If you get a chance to take a kid for a ride in your P-car, do it - you may plant a seed.

I rode in my first Porsche (a neighbor's new '64 912) in 1964. Those memories are a large part of why I own a Porsche today.
You know, I remember kids asking for a ride all the time when I was young. These days it's rare, so when it happened a few years as I leaving the golf course, I said sure and adjusted the seat back from where Cindy had it forward for herself. Took him on a reasonably brisk run down a nearby canyon and back to the club.

He'd been looking at everything including details I hadn't noticed him noticing: "Is that your class ring?"

Oh. "Yes," I said.

"You went to Stanford, huh?"

"Yep," and I smiled as I added: "Math class paid off," with a pat on the shift lever.

I don't know which impression will be longer lasting: the love of a good car or the value of higher education.

Gary
Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bbbradley
An Italian icon vs fried egg headlights? I'll take the Italian, please.
You obviously do not know what the fried egg reference refers to. Look it up before you use it in the future lest you continue to look as foolish as the kids in the OP's first post.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A few weeks after I got my 997 I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and hear this approximately 7 year old boy yell to his brother, "It's a Porsche!" and as I let my two year old son out of his seat, "...with a baby!"
Old 02-12-2012, 07:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Recently, on my way to work one morning, I was stopped at a red light and had my window rolled down. I hear someone say "I like your car!" I look to my left and see a boy about 14 years old sitting in the passenger's seat of a SUV, smiling at me. I say "Thanks!" Then I look over at the driver, it is apparently his Mom, and I notice she was really HOT! I wanted to say, "... and I like your Mom!" but decided to keep that part to myself.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

One day a week or so ago, as I was leaving the daycare with my two year old grandson, a lady in a beat up mini van who had parked nearby said ...."that sure is a nice car to be carrying a young'un in...what is it anyway...a Mazda?" Before I could answer my grandson piped up..it's a Porsche (pronounced properly).
I love my grandson and his budding enthusiam for cars.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
You obviously do not know what the fried egg reference refers to. Look it up before you use it in the future lest you continue to look as foolish as the kids in the OP's first post.
Okay, I'm stumped. I was pretty sure "fried egg" referred to the shared cover on the headlights and running lights of 996 models. What does it mean?

Gary
Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Early 996/Boxster headlights had the distinct amber bottom portion, hence the white and yellow sections which resemble a fried egg.

For the 911, only the early 1999 models have the amber section in the headlights and thus the "fried egg" look.

However it doesn't surprise me that you and others here use the term without knowing its real meaning. After all, it's simply meant as a disparaging slam on the 996 that's what's really important, who cares about the real meaning of the reference.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Early 996/Boxster headlights had the distinct amber bottom portion, hence the white and yellow sections which resemble a fried egg.

For the 911, only the early 1999 models have the amber section in the headlights and thus the "fried egg" look.

However it doesn't surprise me that you and others here use the term without knowing its real meaning. After all, it's simply meant as a disparaging slam on the 996 that's what's really important, who cares about the real meaning of the reference.
Actually, I've never used it myself, but thank you. I try to understand what other people are saying.

Gary
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by simsgw
Actually, I've never used it myself, but thank you. I try to understand what other people are saying.

Gary

Quick Reply: Kids these days! *sigh*