Sponsored by:

Kids these days! *sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Once in a while, somebody close to my own age will come by as I open the frunk, and they say something like: "Wow! Surprised me! I wondered where the engine went!" If they seem serious, I explain. But one guy clearly was pulling my leg, so I shook my head and said "Damn. See what's happened? I heard a loud noise and it just seemed to lose power..."

Gary
I just say, "Damn, the gerbils escaped again and all that's left is the treadmill. Wanna' see?"
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Once in a while, somebody close to my own age will come by as I open the frunk, and they say something like: "Wow! Surprised me! I wondered where the engine went!" If they seem serious, I explain. But one guy clearly was pulling my leg, so I shook my head and said "Damn. See what's happened? I heard a loud noise and it just seemed to lose power..."

Gary
I love doing that- "wanna see the engine?" It's funny when get all smug and say "Oh yeah, that's right, it's a Porsche, and the engine's in the back!" and then get REALLY confused when they see the back of a Boxster.

Adults figure it out pretty quickly, but it's funny to watch kids try to figure out where the engine is.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
bbbradley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Wow, really? The 308 GTB was an emission strangled pig; 240HP for the US version and couldn't break 6.0 seconds 0-60 unless it was going downhill. Pretty car, no doubt, but not even close to being in the same class as a 996 TT in any perfomance catagory.
An Italian icon vs fried egg headlights? I'll take the Italian, please.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Wow, really? The 308 GTB was an emission strangled pig; 240HP for the US version and couldn't break 6.0 seconds 0-60 unless it was going downhill. Pretty car, no doubt, but not even close to being in the same class as a 996 TT in any perfomance catagory.

Back OnT, a while ago I parked in front of the ATM in my Carrera S and as I climbed out of the car a wide eyed little guy about 8 or so was focused on my car and pulling to get free of his mom's hand. She let him go and he rushed around to the back of my car. He came back looking very satisfied and announced to her, "It's a Porsche", properly pronounced. All is not lost......
I got another one. Walking up to my Turbo after leaving a gas station. A guy and his kids (pre-teen boys) passed by. I overheard one kid say something like "girls like those cars" referring to my Turbo.

I glanced over just in time to catch his dad giving him the 'shush' look then dad looking over at me to see if I was going to react.

I didn't react of course.

But as I continued on to my car I kind of laughed to myself because I think the kid was referring not to the car being a girly car which is probably what his dad thought, but the car being a babe magnet.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bbbradley
An Italian icon vs fried egg headlights? I'll take the Italian, please.
Ugh.....

Sometimes the really beautiful girls are all glitter and no substance, while the slightly more modest ones have many more desireable qualities.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
But as I continued on to my car I kind of laughed to myself because I think the kid was referring not to the car being a girly car which is probably what his dad thought, but the car being a babe magnet.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Sounnd like those kids were growing up faster than their Dad imagined....
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

I once had a guy come up to me at a gas station as I was filling my Turbo. In his best redneck voice he tried to imitate the guy in the Dodge commercials and asked loudly, "Hey, has thing got a Hemi it it"? My reply was a wry smile and a reply that there were things in this world a lot better than a Hemi. And yes, It does have a Hemi, but it's a turbocharged Hemi.

I could gone on all day with the questions and comments I got with my F430.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Word.

Ugh.....

Sometimes the really beautiful girls are all glitter and no substance, while the slightly more modest ones have many more desireable qualities.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Picking my 7 yr old son up from school. Walking to our car and talking all things Porsche he tells me how he has a German friend in school. We get to the car and it just so happens his friend is parked right next to us. I pop the frunk to put in the backpack and hear his friend exclaim "daddy, what is he doing?" Then I hear a slightly embarrassed father with a German accent begin to explain with perfect pronunciation "that's a Porsche..."
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a chance to take a kid for a ride in your P-car, do it - you may plant a seed.

I rode in my first Porsche (a neighbor's new '64 912) in 1964. Those memories are a large part of why I own a Porsche today.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 997
If you get a chance to take a kid for a ride in your P-car, do it - you may plant a seed.

I rode in my first Porsche (a neighbor's new '64 912) in 1964. Those memories are a large part of why I own a Porsche today.

I agree w/ this. As a 7 year old, I got to ride in my dad's boss' black 928. I was instantly hooked on Porsches and had posters on my wall, matchbox cars of all the Porsches they made, and built model kits of them for my room.

Now I have a 911 & 944, and spend an inordinate amount of time on here!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 57 Posts

Since I have a 4S, my kids have taken to calling it "The Force".

My son told me the other day, "Dad, sometimes on days you don't take The Force to work, I'll just sit in it in the garage!" Boy, I love that kid!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Last year my neighbor came by with her 2 year old in tow while I was washing the C2S in the driveway. She made a point of sharing with me that her kid thought I had a nice chu chu. Oh boy.

I think it's the Guards Red - brings out the aggression in these mommies.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while...but I was all those kids. In the 70's I would bring a cassette tape with me to the race track (Laguna Seca) tape the cars, and then for weeks after listen to the thing with a tape player all over the house. No ear buds or iPods in those days...even one got to "share" in teh experience. My mom would laugh. I still have the tape...it's actually in my car now. 935s are a wonderful sounding car...even on a 30 year old cassette tape.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Its interesting what effect this car will bring, last fall driving slowly through my sub-division, coming to a stop sign, and adjacent to this sign is a fella washing his BMW, he sees me coming and just stands there, slightly bent over with a dripping sponge of lather gathering on his driveway. He is motionless like a deer in the headlights.

As I pass I give him a thumbs up, and he returns a smile and watches me dissapear.

Quick Reply: Kids these days! *sigh*