Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20K with no service records available - PPI & Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 141 Posts
Default 20K with no service records available - PPI & Buy?

Next on the block for me is a '08 C2S with 19,800 miles, available at a non-porsche dealer.

Car is priced about 10K below average.
It's still under original factory warranty until mid-2013 - looks like it was punched in May '09.
Dealer does not have any service records to speak of
Carfax looks clean, at least.

If I take it to a Porsche Dealer for a full PPI and it comes back clean, does it make sense to buy it? Or is the lack of records/prior owner info enough to make me walk no matter what happens?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked up a car on car fax once that has no service records at all. after a test drive I checked the owners manual and in it was a very comprehensive set of receipts for service at a dealer who simply doesnt report to carfax. I called this dealer to confirm and they know the car well and service it regularly...

nothing on car fax doesnt mean no service.

ppi and buy if it checks out...

curious, what are they asking?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I've also learned not to rely on carfax. It's actually the DEALER saying they have no service records available. It could mean that the records just never came along with the car, or it could mean that someone doesn't want them to be shown...
Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

the dealer is lying, it left porsche in 08 when it was delivered, and never returned to porsche for any reason untill it pops up for sale, didnt happen that way. Hes covering up, so go to another dealer with the vin and get them to look up the history
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
07Carrera
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

"the dealer is lying, it left porsche in 08 when it was delivered, and never returned to porsche for any reason untill it pops up for sale, didnt happen that way. Hes covering up, so go to another dealer with the vin and get them to look up the history"

Not always true. I bought an '07 C2 from a dealer in '09. Since '09 I have done ALL the serviceing and scheduled maintenance myself. I will continue to do that as long as I own the vehicle unless something major is needed at a dealer. When I sell the vehicle there will be no registered records from '09 forward. BUT I keep meticulous records and use Porsche forms when applicable. All those records will stay with the vehicle.

Kirby C.
Rice Lake, WW
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

The carfax actually does show that it's had maintenance done at 10K and 20K, so I guess that means something. I was hoping to see actual service records instead of relying on carfax...

It's also got a lot of other little things like:

950 miles:
Fuel system checked
A/C refrigerant recharged
Tire condition and pressure checked
A/C performance checked

4000 miles:
Wing/spoiler replaced/repaired
Horn replaced

5200 miles:
Hub cap(s)/wheel cover(s) replaced

10,000 miles:
Brakes checked
Tire condition and pressure checked
Maintenance inspection completed
One tire mounted and balanced

The only thing in there that MIGHT be interesting is the spoiler repair and the A/C recharge. But those were 16K and 19K miles ago, respectively, so I'm thinking they're non-issues.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Next on the block for me is a '08 C2S with 19,800 miles, available at a non-porsche dealer.

Car is priced about 10K below average.
It's still under original factory warranty until mid-2013 - looks like it was punched in May '09.
Dealer does not have any service records to speak of
Carfax looks clean, at least.

If I take it to a Porsche Dealer for a full PPI and it comes back clean, does it make sense to buy it? Or is the lack of records/prior owner info enough to make me walk no matter what happens?
It is always a bit suspicious to me when a car dealer prices something below market.

Any dealer.

If anything the dealer will price the car above market and let one "negotiate" the price down some and after one buys the car he leaves with the feeling he got a great deal.

Meanwhile, in the back room the car salesman and his manager are doing their happy dance.

As for the warranty... be *sure* -- get something in writing (fax) from PCNA -- that if the car is sold by a non-Porsche dealer the warranty remains in effect. For CPO warranties (at least) if the car is sold to a broker or traded in to a non-Porsche dealer the CPO warranty becomes invalid.

The indy dealer will not have any service records unless the car came to it with them in the glove box and chances are the detailer will throw those away.

With CarFax you can probably determine where the car spent some time and then you can call dealers in those areas and with the VIN see if you can learn what servicing the car received.

Also, what servicing the car received is only part of the story. What the car's condition is *now* plays a role too. IOWs, even if the car was serviced like it was the last car on earth the car the engine the drivetrain could still be crap.

You have to really give the car a thorough used car checkout. Then a PPI by an expert.

If your check out of the car turns up no issues -- and I've covered this before and won't cover it in length here but you must give the car a good test ride and then drive of 15 or more miles (each time) to give the DME time to flag any problems (misfires, bad cats, etc) and to give any leaks a chance to show themselves for the PPI -- then if a PPI turns up nothing...

That $10K under market though still bothers me.

Are you sure the price is $10K under market? Or you just relying upon what the car seller is telling you?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Hello again, Macster. As always, you are extremely helpful.

This is an '08 C2S with 20K miles priced at $57,000. That's about $8-10K under, by my estimation.

The close of the story is that I gave the dealer my offer (pending PPI) of $53K and he sent me packing. So unless he wants to deal further, I'm still looking around.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

I dont think that 57 is 8-10 under market for non cpo car. is it a grey car with "Porsche" lettering on the side? that car was priced at 66k back in October and has been sitting around for a while. I considered it but decided against it due to lack of some options I was after. I think 57 is probably the dealers break even price or very close to it. Given the miles I think its a pretty good deal. The wholesale price on the car is right around 54k-55k.

re service:
you can always call the dealer who serviced the car according to the carfax and try to get more info about what was done, I did that on several cars I looked at and some dealers are chatty and some not so much...

good luck in your search
Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PasPar2
is it a grey car with "Porsche" lettering on the side? that car was priced at 66k back in October and has been sitting around for a while.
That's the one. The salesman and servicing dealer both confirm that the Porsche lettering is a vinyl sticker and peels right off with no problem. That was a deal-breaker for me. It's a beautiful car - I love Meteor Gray and I don't need too many options. In fact I'd even lose the Bose stereo to gain the extra storage space behind the seats, but it's almost impossible to find a car without it!

Most, if not all of the '08 C2Ss I'm seeing with low miles are at LEAST $65K. That puts this one about $8K under. The issue of course is that my top limit is about $53K. But I'm pretty much looking for any 997.1 S I can find as long as its production date is in the Spring of '06 or later. I don't need an '08.

I don't think it's outrageous to think that I can get a low-mile 997.1 S in the low $50s. I just have to find the right one.
The following users liked this post:
911-24/7 (02-04-2020)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find one at that price point, I'm sure.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

if you hang around a bit, you may catch Judd on his "my car is for sale" day... currently, its not.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, ya' never know!

Quick Reply: 20K with no service records available - PPI & Buy?