Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

I think this thread just confirms how reliable the 9A1 engine is. Anyone with bad experiences would already be all over this.

I do think that the IMS issue was and remains a real problem, at least for early 997.1 cars -- the failure rate was statistically significant and at least mildly brand-damaging.
+ 1 but beyond the early 997.1 cars I feel that there doesn't seem to be a major problem with IMS. Alternator cables, yes. But that is a one time fix, kind of like early 997.2 HPFPs. Overall, it seems like the entire 997 line is pretty good. Especially when you consider the on again off again use of non DDs and garage queens in combination with spirited and track driving.

We are a picky bunch, and the venue here is stacked to amplify the problems. What I see indicates we have some remarkable cars.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
All flat 6s can smoke on startup. Not a thick blue cloud of smoke mind you. Not an issue.
Some difference MUST exist to those that only smoke from one side of the engine and those that don't smoke at all!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Oil is on the cylinder walls (bottom side) when the motor stops, car is angled to the side, oil runs to the rings, metal parts cool, oil gets to the combustion chamber, ...
Wayne, unsure if you noticed that this is exactly what occurred to my .24s last Monday, after we met up on Hicks Valley Rd?

I had parked on an off-road slope after the car was warmed up. I believe that it was parked ~30 minutes. Upon start-up, a bit of white smoke emanated from the downhill (passenger) side of the 911. While the slope was very minor, it was enough for the oil to cool as you suggested and the result was a few exhaling puffs.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Some difference MUST exist to those that only smoke from one side of the engine and those that don't smoke at all!
It could be something to look into, unless the car parks on an incline sideways and one bank of cylinders rests lower than the other.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

It could be something to look into, unless the car parks on an incline sideways and one bank of cylinders rests lower than the other.
And what about that H6 engined Porsche that never smokes incline sideways or otherwise.

That's my target and I'm hoping I can find a 997.2 like it. Can I ?!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by david

Wayne, unsure if you noticed that this is exactly what occurred to my .24s last Monday, after we met up on Hicks Valley Rd?

I had parked on an off-road slope after the car was warmed up. I believe that it was parked ~30 minutes. Upon start-up, a bit of white smoke emanated from the downhill (passenger) side of the 911. While the slope was very minor, it was enough for the oil to cool as you suggested and the result was a few exhaling puffs.
I saw this, figured it was just the situation, and opted to not mention it since I didn't wish to criticize or make you worry over something that was quite explainable.

Now ...

The same thing happened when we took off from our last stop with Dan 9 days earlier. My conscience is cleared!

Note ... These were the only two cases I saw. And I am impressed that you saw either from your place in the driver's seat!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Wife parks on a flat garage floor and there's always a bit of white smoke when she starts the engine. (Not steam, you can smell a slight oil/gas odor.) Goes away in less than 1/2 mile. 2011 Carrera S.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

And what about that H6 engined Porsche that never smokes incline sideways or otherwise.

That's my target and I'm hoping I can find a 997.2 like it. Can I ?!
I have not found one that, guaranteed, in every start there's no smoke. Most of the time there's no smoke. It helps to let the engine idle a minute or so before shutting it off for the day, if it helps your concern... It never worried me because I know the reasons for that phenomenon.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:58 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The same thing happened when we took off from our last stop with Dan 9 days earlier. My conscience is cleared!

Note ... These were the only two cases I saw. And I am impressed that you saw either from your place in the driver's seat!
Yup I saw it the previous time as well. In fact, both of those instances are the only two that I've seen since I owned the car!

When I'm in the pilot seat (actually just about any time), I'm hyper-aware of my surroundings...this can be good and bad...
Old 02-20-2015, 03:19 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

I have not found one that, guaranteed, in every start there's no smoke.

Apparently, I am about to introduce you to one of a kind at 74k miles:

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Bore Scoring: Scary stuff.... no smoke with mine. Actually I find the fact that I don't get smoke as a bit of a surprise. The M96 engines used to smoke at apparently random starts. I could get my 2000 Boxster S to smoke if I started the engine and immediately shut it off (like when moving it a few feet in a garage. Start it back up and I would get a nice puff. Of course the air oil separator was a common source of this and I went through a few of them.

One thing is certain, in the event of some bore scoring, or any other piston/oil rings to bore clearance issue the boxer engine will smoke upon startup, occasionally or otherwise - it only depends of the situation's severity. That's guaranteed!

If the engine smokes frome one side's tail pipes ONLY, at least you get to know what cylinder bank is affected.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Bit alarmist are we? Any posts not related to engine/oil smoke?

Your post/response to the dyno posts earlier seemed a bit off-base (given the context) and I think technical explanations have been provided for majority of these issues...

Finally, how can you guarantee no smoking on startup over 74k miles (apologies if I missed something in your posts to explain)? I've never witnessed it for my car but I certainly can't guarantee it since I am usually not outside my car at start-up.

One thing is certain, in the event of some bore scoring, or any other piston/oil rings to bore clearance issue the boxer engine will smoke upon startup, occasionally or otherwise. That's guaranteed!

If the engine smokes frome one side's tail pipes ONLY, at least you get to know what cylinder bank is affected.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:29 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

I think Bruce In Philly addresses all your relevant doubts pretty well the car is his not mine:

Bore Scoring: Scary stuff.... no smoke with mine. Actually I find the fact that I don't get smoke as a bit of a surprise. The M96 engines used to smoke at apparently random starts. I could get my 2000 Boxster S to smoke if I started the engine and immediately shut it off (like when moving it a few feet in a garage. Start it back up and I would get a nice puff. Of course the air oil separator was a common source of this and I went through a few of them.

Yes, I did.... it uses less and less. I purchased my 2009 C2S with 26K miles on it and it ran through oil... don't know the amount but I was concerned. Between then and now at 74K miles.... it consumption has steadily declined and is uses practically nothing now. I may put 1/2 quart in in 7K miles now. I always thought engines broke in within the first 15K miles or so. This engine is odd.... but in a good way.

At the current pace of miles vs oil consumption, my engine will be producing Mobil 1 in about a year.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by CaymanPower; 02-20-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

One thing is certain, in the event of some bore scoring, or any other piston/oil rings to bore clearance issue the boxer engine will smoke upon startup, occasionally or otherwise - it only depends of the situation's severity. That's guaranteed!

You misinterpreted what I meant by 'guaranteed'. I meant - no one can guarantee that a flat 6 will not emit some smoke if the right circumstances are present. Since 1948 every Porsche - flat 4 then - did and will on occasion emit some smoke at a cold startup. It has not been an issue. My cars do not emit any smoke 99.9% of the time, but on a very rare occasion they do. They all do. I can create the circumstances where the car you mention will smoke too. But never mind, enjoy your car and check your smoke with a mass spectrometer every morning. Every week borescope your cylinders and keep a record. Meanwhile I will drive my cars without worry, as I have been doing for decades.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

You misinterpreted what I meant by 'guaranteed'. I meant - no one can guarantee that a flat 6 will not emit some smoke if the right circumstances are present. Since 1948 every Porsche - flat 4 then - did and will on occasion emit some smoke at a cold startup. It has not been an issue. My cars do not emit any smoke 99.9% of the time, but on a very rare occasion they do. They all do. I can create the circumstances where the car you mention will smoke too. But never mind, enjoy your car and check your smoke with a mass spectrometer every morning. Every week borescope your cylinders and keep a record. Meanwhile I will drive my cars without worry, as I have been doing for decades.
Lol. I'm with you Adias. My 2009 has been great. I refuse to worry- about my car that is. The 9a1 is a big success to date. If there's a problem in the future so be it. I feel like I've got my money's worth and so I'm ahead already. If it breaks, oh well. To date, nothing apart from maintenance and a HPFP replaced under recall. And nails in my tires 😁.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodsky
Lol. I'm with you Adias. My 2009 has been great. I refuse to worry- about my car that is. The 9a1 is a big success to date. If there's a problem in the future so be it. I feel like I've got my money's worth and so I'm ahead already. If it breaks, oh well. To date, nothing apart from maintenance and a HPFP replaced under recall. And nails in my tires 😁.
I often wonder if some of these fear mongering posts are shills for the competition or other ruses.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability