Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just check mine every time I pull into the garage to put the car away. Get a check oil warning light after 45 days of owning your first Porsche and checking the oil will become your new religion!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You really need to catch it before the idiot light goes on if you know what is good for you and your motor.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I agree. I checked the oil in my '04 996 at least twice a week, because I could do it when I got in the car in the morning.

However, checking the oil level in DFI engine isn't quite as "convenient" because, A) the engine has to be running B) the engine has to be at, or very near, operating temperature, and C) the engine has to be idling. So checking the oil must be done at the end of a drive and I don't always remember to do that. Fortunately, I do manage to check it about every two weeks, so that works.
^^^ This. And even if you do remember to check it at the end of a drive you still have to wait for almost a minute to get a reading. Sometimes I wonder if the 997.2 oil consumption stories are at least loosely related to the hassle of checking it. Because of all the conditions that must be met, it's almost certainly done less frequently and the consumption may seem more dramatic once a reading is taken. Happened to me. First time ever in any car owned that I got a check oil level warning light. I've kept records since that event and this car actually uses less oil than my -06 did.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpjli2
You really need to catch it before the idiot light goes on if you know what is good for you and your motor.
Yes, lets go back to all those threads about burning off condensation and contaminates at high temperatures. The car was approx 2000 miles past it's 20000 mile service thus I did not know that oil consumption was in my future as DFI owner. Say what you will about the corvette , but I have never had to add oil, especially to a car with 21451 miles. I know from Gary's excellent synopsis that oil is a consumable and that edgy is a quart every 1000 miles since birth, but that wisdom was lacking at inception . Live , learn do not repeat!
Cheers!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I added 1 quart after my light came on which brought it to one bar short of full. Poured another 1/2 of quart in and left it at that. You're saying 1.5 quarts low with 7.5 quarts still in the sump will damage the engine?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume if the engineers decided at what point the light comes on to add more oil, then it is still safe at this point. Although the manual says "Add engine oil immediately"
BTW the manual for the .2 cars states that additionally oil level is measured "in the background while driving", seems like at certain distance intervals. If the minimum is reached or it is well above maximum "Check engine oil level" is displayed.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
^^^ This. And even if you do remember to check it at the end of a drive you still have to wait for almost a minute to get a reading. Sometimes I wonder if the 997.2 oil consumption stories are at least loosely related to the hassle of checking it. Because of all the conditions that must be met, it's almost certainly done less frequently and the consumption may seem more dramatic once a reading is taken. Happened to me. First time ever in any car owned that I got a check oil level warning light. I've kept records since that event and this car actually uses less oil than my -06 did.
How can that be? According to a certain Rennlist "someone" (Canadian) "all 997.2 DFI engines burn more oil than the 997.1 engines. That's a FACT!" You have just blown his theory into small pieces!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Carry on!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bijan
I assume if the engineers decided at what point the light comes on to add more oil, then it is still safe at this point. Although the manual says "Add engine oil immediately"
BTW the manual for the .2 cars states that additionally oil level is measured "in the background while driving", seems like at certain distance intervals. If the minimum is reached or it is well above maximum "Check engine oil level" is displayed.
In a Porsche, the "check oil" light is a safety net, and you should not see it. What they've done is identify problems delivering oil to critical engine areas and use that to trigger the light. It's like chest pains in a cardiac patient, not a routine measurement result being reported.

Gary
Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
That is funny! Totally different views on the exact same subject.
That's what I love about sports cars.

G
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by simsgw
That's funny, Tim. I was just thinking the opposite: "Boy, it's sounds like a pain in the 997.1. Glad it's so much more convenient in a my dot two."

I do like to check it at other times, but basically my habit is to pull onto the fuel island and sit there for 45 seconds or so until it gets a reading. The only real challenge is picking a station that has fairly level islands.

Gary
Tim of course is right.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

I added 1 quart after my light came on which brought it to one bar short of full. Poured another 1/2 of quart in and left it at that. You're saying 1.5 quarts low with 7.5 quarts still in the sump will damage the engine?
I'm saying that it is an "idiot" (emphasis intended) light and a last resort on the part of Porsche to get owners to pay attention. It is not an oil level gauge. If it fails the motor is in danger of being toasted. I'm sure, however, YOUR motor survived and that you don't think that is the way it is should be done.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

So if you are driving down the highway and a leak developes in your oil system causing the 'idiot' light to come on you are an idiot? I look at it as a save your bacon light.

However, I do check my oil level every time I pull in the garage and when filling the gas.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by simsgw
In a Porsche, the "check oil" light is a safety net, and you should not see it. What they've done is identify problems delivering oil to critical engine areas and use that to trigger the light. It's like chest pains in a cardiac patient, not a routine measurement result being reported.

Gary
If that's really the case, then shouldn't a scan for "check oil" lights being triggered be every bit as mandatory as a DME scan for overrevs when buying a used 997? Critical engine areas being starved for oil? Sounds worse than a brief journey north of 7,200 rpm.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:05 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

If that's really the case, then shouldn't a scan for "check oil" lights being triggered be every bit as mandatory as a DME scan for overrevs when buying a used 997? Critical engine areas being starved for oil? Sounds worse than a brief journey north of 7,200 rpm.
Darned if I know what the computer records. Might do just that. I'd certainly tell one of my coders to record every warning.

However, the tech material does not say that any area is starved for oil. What it says is something to the effect that the computer is recognizing difficulty getting that oil, not delivering it. If I'm reading it right, that means you could go for some possibly brief period of time with the oil delivery just enough to avoid damage, but with the engine beginning to have problems gathering the oil it needs. I always supposed it to mean something about occasional cavitation in pick-up pumps, something like that. But honestly, I noted it in passing when I was reviewing the material back when we bought the car. My memory might be wrong, and in any case what I do remember of the discussion was that it was tantalizingly void of detail.

I really don't know any more except that once that warning light goes on, it means you waited longer than you should have to check the oil level. You haven't hurt the engine -- yet -- but neither are you being warned merely to add oil. You're being warned not to ask much of the engine either.

In case my tone isn't painful enough to convey this: I once wrote off the engine in a German car by relying on the "check oil" light. The fact that it was a 1955 VW and I was only a newlywed of 19 only heightened the pain. [Do we have a little icon for the shudder that memory just caused me? Apparently not.]

Definitely not recommended.

Gary
Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it true that the oil consumption problems found in the 2009's (1st year of direct injection) have been solved in the 2011's abd 2012's?

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption