Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

I know oil consumption is not unusual in the 997.1, but thought I'd share my experience over the last year. I have a 06 C2S cab with 33,000 miles. It is my daily driver, and I drive 7 miles each way to and from work, half of which is on arterial streets, the other half on freeway. Weekends typically involve similar running around Orange County, driving in a spirited manner. After gassing up today, I got a low oil warning. When I checked the electronic oil gauge (after waiting 9 minutes for it to give me a reading!), the bottom bar was flashing. I typically keep an eye on it, but somehow lost track of time and miles between checks. I've been keeping a log of oil top-ups over the last year, in which time I've put about 8000 miles on the car. It turns out that my car has used an average of a liter for every 1100 to 1500 miles. So now I've made a calendar note on my iPhone to remind me to be sure to check the oil at least every 2 months.

I'm not worried or concerned, but just curious if others have experienced similar oil consumption.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keninirvine,

I have a 2008 C2S with 23,600 on the clock. I use my car almost identically to yours. DD 7 miles to work and back(28 miles a day - I go home for lunch). Some freeway like streets (55+) and some "city driving". I have only used about 1/2 a quart in the last 5000 miles.

I am in Houston and the drive back from California was very hot - yet only 1/2 quart total. To be fair, i have only had the car 6 months and I changed the oil about 2,500 miles back. I added 1/4 quart before the oil change and 1/4 quart about 1000 miles after the change, but not a drop over the last 1500 miles and I check the oil gauge every morning before work.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Short trips result in condensation in oil. This hides consumption. Run it long enough to boil it out though (a good thing) and you have an unexpected drop in oil level. As to consumption, do a search. Don't need a new thread imo.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Don't need a new thread imo.
You're right. I just thought it might be beneficial to remind folks that it is a good idea to keep an eye on their oil level.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
You're right. I just thought it might be beneficial to remind folks that it is a good idea to keep an eye on their oil level.
It is a good idea to remind folks to keep an eye on their oil level.

However, I would offer the warning that assuming the oil consumption remains constant while it most likely will remain constant or at least change slowly is not a given.

Better would be to develop a habit of checking the oil level more often than every couple of months. A good time to check the level is after gassing up the car. However, even this might prove to be too infrequent. Even though I drive quite a bit I can go nearly a week between fillups and I'm sure there are many owners who go even longer between fillups. For me and my cars, though, I can't imagine going even a week between oil level checks.

Since we can check the oil level just about any time we want from the comfort and convenience of the cabin and the driver's seat there's no reason not to check the oil more often.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

You are absolutely right Macster. I seem to have gotten into the bad habit of just jumping in the car and starting the motor, instead of waiting 5 seconds for a oil level reading. I think your suggestion of at least checking at each fill-up is perfect, as that occurs every 200 miles or so for most of us (no matter how long it takes to rack up 200 miles). And during fill-ups is a good time to be focusing on the car, including oil, tires, clean windshield, etc. It is a good opportunity to check those things we can easily take for granted if we're not careful. I guess the problem is, these cars are so freaking trouble free, it is easy to not think about these things.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

My current '07 C2S has 27,500 miles. I drive it to work about 4 times per week, 5 miles each way on slow freeway. I also take it for a spirited run of about 80 miles every week or so. Between 20,000 and 27,000 (when I last had the oil changed), I topped it up once with about 1/3 of a quart. It was down one bar when I brought it in for the oil change. I check the oil while waiting for the garage door to roll up, at least before the spirited runs, so every week or so.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

I don't have my manual handy but seem to remember oil level check is automatic at gas fill up ?
The oil level meter is as much a driveway level meter it is sensitive and affected by car not being level. With 997.2 I find if nose is down slightly level will be up.
Although it will measure oil level at lower temperature than normal (not if engine is cold) it is best to have it at normal temp to get more accurate reading.
I would wait until the level is near the lowest bar before putting in say half a quart/liter. The oil readings are for the top 1.2 liters while the engine holds over 7 liters.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr2001
keninirvine,

I have a 2008 C2S with 23,600 on the clock. I use my car almost identically to yours. DD 7 miles to work and back(28 miles a day - I go home for lunch). Some freeway like streets (55+) and some "city driving". I have only used about 1/2 a quart in the last 5000 miles.

I am in Houston and the drive back from California was very hot - yet only 1/2 quart total. To be fair, i have only had the car 6 months and I changed the oil about 2,500 miles back. I added 1/4 quart before the oil change and 1/4 quart about 1000 miles after the change, but not a drop over the last 1500 miles and I check the oil gauge every morning before work.

Hope this helps.
I am very similar too, a bit less (~ 5K/yr) due to int'l travel

< 1 qt/yr
Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm really surprised that the oil isn't checked more frequently by all. It couldn't be any easier. (I suppose that's why Porsche designed the electronic sensor for that).

My car has been using oil at the rate of 1 quart per 1000 miles from day one. I'm on my 64th quart of oil---I mean, I'm at about 64,000 miles! I could almost do without an odometer, it's that consistent.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I'm really surprised that the oil isn't checked more frequently by all. It couldn't be any easier. (I suppose that's why Porsche designed the electronic sensor for that).

My car has been using oil at the rate of 1 quart per 1000 miles from day one. I'm on my 64th quart of oil---I mean, I'm at about 64,000 miles! I could almost do without an odometer, it's that consistent.
100$ a year on oil? No big deal imo. Especially at 7000 rpm in third gear
Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I couldn't agree more! The price of oil (oel) is way down in the noise.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

I agree. I checked the oil in my '04 996 at least twice a week, because I could do it when I got in the car in the morning.

However, checking the oil level in DFI engine isn't quite as "convenient" because, A) the engine has to be running B) the engine has to be at, or very near, operating temperature, and C) the engine has to be idling. So checking the oil must be done at the end of a drive and I don't always remember to do that. Fortunately, I do manage to check it about every two weeks, so that works.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I agree. I checked the oil in my '04 996 at least twice a week, because I could do it when I got in the car in the morning.

However, checking the oil level in DFI engine isn't quite as "convenient" because, A) the engine has to be running B) the engine has to be at, or very near, operating temperature, and C) the engine has to be idling. So checking the oil must be done at the end of a drive and I don't always remember to do that. Fortunately, I do manage to check it about every two weeks, so that works.
That's funny, Tim. I was just thinking the opposite: "Boy, it's sounds like a pain in the 997.1. Glad it's so much more convenient in a my dot two."

I do like to check it at other times, but basically my habit is to pull onto the fuel island and sit there for 45 seconds or so until it gets a reading. The only real challenge is picking a station that has fairly level islands.

Gary
Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
That's funny, Tim. I was just thinking the opposite: "Boy, it's sounds like a pain in the 997.1. Glad it's so much more convenient in a my dot two."

I do like to check it at other times, but basically my habit is to pull onto the fuel island and sit there for 45 seconds or so until it gets a reading. The only real challenge is picking a station that has fairly level islands.

Gary
That is funny! Totally different views on the exact same subject.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption