Sponsored by:

What Mileage is the best time to sell

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Mileage is the best time to sell

I guess what i'm asking. Is there a certain mileage where the maintenance is going to become too costly where it would make sense to sell? I'm thinking of things like brakes/rotors, thermostats, water pumps, shocks,clutch, big things like that. I love my car and haven't had one thing go wrong with it but obviously it will need brakes/rotors and some point. My car is an 07 C2S with 31,000 miles on the clock. Just trying to determine when the best time is to sell if the 991 grows on me.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I guess what i'm asking. Is there a certain mileage where the maintenance is going to become too costly where it would make sense to sell? I'm thinking of things like brakes/rotors, thermostats, water pumps, shocks,clutch, big things like that. I love my car and haven't had one thing go wrong with it but obviously it will need brakes/rotors and some point. My car is an 07 C2S with 31,000 miles on the clock. Just trying to determine when the best time is to sell if the 991 grows on me.
If you really like your C2S, the big maintenance jobs you mention will always be less than what you'll be out-of-pocket on a 991.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

True...second that.. .the out of pocket maintenance unless something goes really bad will be nothing in comparision to the acquisition cost of the 991S..they're MSRP'ing around the mid $90k now correct? Just go to PCNA configurator and see what it looks likes. Most of the times unfortunately the numbers don't lie.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

my first 911 had 178,000 miles on it when I sold

wish I still had it, never was an issue
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Regardless of the mileage, the value of your car will be X less deferred maintenance. Trading the car to avoid those expenses is futile. You will pay up front or on trade value.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

in my opinion - when you have at least 6-7 more months left on the warranty, original or CPO. after car gets off warranty it continues to lose value.

in your situation, if you already decided that you want new car - what`s the difference? trade car in, dealers seem to take them now in fine and suffer for the rest of the bill to pay.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with the erroneous nonsense in the first paragraph of the immediately preceding post, but if you've made up your mind to get a 991 then I do agree your best course on all fronts is to do it as soon as possible.

If you weren't decided upon a 991, then buying a six-year exclusionary warranty on your car would be the most economical sense. Mine (initial cost $4600) has already paid back $1350 in the first year...and my car has only about 35K miles on it. I have no reason to doubt that during the next five years, covered repairs (which is pretty much everything except brakes, clutch, shocks and body/interior trim) will amount to far more than the warranty cost. In addition, I found myself a well-reputed independent shop to perform all the non-covered maintenance jobs at roughly half the dealer's hourly rate, and about 60% on OEM parts.

My Porsche with 20K miles, CPO and several options (full leather, Bose, Xenons, dual power seats) cost me half what a new one with no options sold for at the time. Now after 3 years I could sell it easily for $8K less than I paid. $225/mo to drive a 997 is light enough that I can stand buying brakes and tyres and changing the oil as needed. There is nothing other than vanity I could possibly gain from selling it on a 991. In six years when the warranty is out, I'll see how I feel about it.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Unless you are really unlucky repairs are always cheaper than depreciation. My 07 Turbo was sold to me buy a dealer with 10K and 2 year cpo for 50K less than new. You could replace the engine for that.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,733 Posts

Glass half empty? I look at it half full.

I typically by used low milage cars where someone else has taken the depreciation hit. There are 1000's of cars to choose from. Sure there is some maintenance but its cheaper than the depreciation. have the benefit of knowing about recalls, etc as well. Has worked well for me over the years.

Just my .02
Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Going by mileages alone under 50K and the more miles under 50K miles the better -- and ideally with some remaining new car warranty still in effect -- is a pretty good number. You can 'spin' the car as like new with some warranty remaining. It helps if the car's servicing is current so you can sell the car as needing nothing for months and thousands of miles.

Based on what experience I've had with my Porsches (which doesn't include a 997 though) there's no magic mileage number when things start to go wrong.

And sometimes what goes wrong is kind of unexpected.

(For instance, my 02 Boxster with over 249K miles is on its original engine and clutch but I have had to replace the brake light, cruise disable and clutch interlock switches.)

You might do the best with your car *now* or as soon as the 991 models are available if you trade your car in on a 991 model. Dealers are starved for good quality used Porsches and of course they've probably loaded up on 991 models so they have an incentive to "deal" on a new car and offer you a pretty good trade-in for your used car.

You'll still take a hit on your used car and compound it by the on paper hit you take on your new car, but if you want a new 991 and want to do the best you can to minimize the hit on at least your used car...

As an aside, every time I think of getting rid of one my Porsches for something new or even newer the cost of a new car really brings me back down to earth.

It becomes clear that putting several thousand dollars into even the Boxster is cheaper than replacing it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
As an aside, every time I think of getting rid of one my Porsches for something new or even newer the cost of a new car really brings me back down to earth.
every time when itch of reading gt3 forums gets unbearable i jump into my lowly C2, get on the road and drive a bit keeping revs way above 4500.

it cures a desire to trade it in for anything else for a week or so, usually. more you drive it - less you`ll want to replace it.

plus, when i read of $200K new 4L RS car it really keeps me thinking - even if my wife will ever allow me to do such a thing, will i ever be brave enough to take this car to a track to enjoy it fully? and if not taken to a track - what on earth will i do with it? it will rot in my garage and that will be the end of it.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I personally think under 30k or the next big one is under 50k. Don't know why but over 50k seems to be a different catagory, as when people search say in Autotrader "mileage is entered"

I got lucky with mine with only 2k and 2.5 yrs old
Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no "best" mileage to sell. The depreciation curves are slight steady, there's no jump at 30k or 50k or whatever imaginary numbers people justify.

There *is* a jump when you go out of warranty, or when the car gets past 3 years or 4 years old. So, utkinpol is correct - if you have a car that still has about 6 months of warranty and you are thinking of selling very soon, you should go ahead and do so before the warranty expires.

Other than that, keep it until you don't want it any more.

(there's also a jump whenever the next model comes out, but that's almost too late for us now, any effect the 991 will have on 997 prices has already started)
Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
... (For instance, my 02 Boxster with over 249K miles is on its original engine and clutch but I have had to replace the brake light, cruise disable and clutch interlock switches.)...
Porsches in Germany accumulate many trouble free miles... To learn of a Porsche in the US with over 200k miles is a sign its owner is a great driver.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Do you mean:

(1) Best milage before the maintenance becomes costly
or
(2) Best milage before depreciation cuts into the car value too much?

Quick Reply: What Mileage is the best time to sell