Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on-location PPI (NYC)? update:now req for sample dealer PPI

Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default on-location PPI (NYC)? update:now req for sample dealer PPI

I am interested in a car being sold by a non-Porsche franchised dealer in NYC. When I asked to take the car for a PPI, they offered me a lift for an onsite PPI but are not willing to let the car go to my mechanic 30 miles away - with the local traffic etc, I can sort of understand that. I dont think they are being sneaky, they are just not familiar with the process... they sell 99% CPO cars of their own brand.

Any idea where I can find a person familiar enough with 997's to perform a PPI at their dealership in? My only other option is to have the PPI done at Manhattan Motors but I dont trust them much and they only offer the "mild" PPI (test drive, walk around with pain meter, tire thread depth and brake measure - almost useless), they dont offer the CPO like PPI at all.

Any ideas before I just walk away?

Thanks

Last edited by PasPar2; 01-24-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Interesting challenge you have. Most would say to walk away and continue your search. Usually, the PPI includes some DME output reports, etc. which you will not be able to do at a non Porsche dealer.

However.. give Formula Motorsports in LIC (across the Ed Koch (Queensboro) bridge). Mark is the owner and well respected. He might be willing to make a "house call" or have other suggestions.

No affiliation...yada ya.

Phone number 718 482-0515.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Formula Motorsports is top rated, and I'd trust them for the PPI in a heartbeat. I doubt they will travel to a dealership to do a PPI. You might need to walk.

When you say NYC, which borough? FM is in Queens, and Queens is part of NYC. And what neighborhood?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

dealer is in Manhattan.. thanks. Looks like Formula is 5-6 miles away... Ill see what they say about that.

I can pull the DME using my durametric (Im pretty sure)... but Im not mechanically inclined beyond thread depth gauge usage
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Every dealership has car jockeys, runners or flatbeds that pick up their inventory cars that are either stored in LIC or NJ. Going to Formula should not be a big deal for them if they want to sell you the car.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Just spoke with mark - the guy is really a character on the phone

$550 for a PPI is pretty steep though, isnt it?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

$550 is clearly on the upper end of the pricing scale. I have heard of higher too. Maybe you need to think about what you are most concerned about.

I am surprised that Manhattan Motor Cars would not do the kind of inspection that can manage your concerns. Maybe similar to what they should be doing prior to certifying a car.

My list.
(1) Visual inspection of vehicle, both interior and exterior
(2) Paint meter test to see if any body work is present
(3) Hook up to the diagnostic machines to see if any codes appear(ed).
(4) DME output.
(5) Mechanical inspection. RMS, IMS, etc.

Some can add on to this. I suspect this would satisfy me. And, maybe there is a way to get them to certify it (if eligible) for $2,500.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Mark S
Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

thanks Mark...

Does a piwis show cleared codes as well? I know my durametric doesnt...

I agree with your list, and I am most concerned with (5) since that I cannot do myself. the others I can cover myself (2) with their assistance.

Anyhow, have yet to get a call back about go/no go on this... dealer is on carribean time
Old 01-24-2012, 01:13 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

update...

car sold to someone who couldn't get financing and I was contacted to see if I was still interested. After some back and forth, they revealed the check engine light is on and "volunteered" to take it in to the local dealer for a checkup. The check engine light was for a bad evap canister(?) and was corrected under warranty and while at it the dealer also preformed a ppi per the sellers request..

This is what I now have... pretty insignificant, wont you say? I expected a PPI to be .... mo' bigger...

I called the dealership and the advisor who handled the car said that basically its "very clean and very nice..." they didn't test drive it extensively (~2 NYC city miles) but everything they checked was up to spec

they didnt scan the DME but I can do that with my durametric ...

If this wasnt a white on black car I would tell them to shove it a long time ago but... I *want* it. I just dont want that to overshadow things

Does anyone have a dealers PPI to compare?

thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

There are a couple of things that don't show up on that report. For example did they measure the paint depth in various areas and confirm that it hasn't been painted?

I know when I have had PPI's done in the past it included a compression check, did they do this?

They patched a hole in the tires sidewall, isn't this a no no?

The check they performed is what I typically see for an oil change, not a PPI.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be a silly question but have you done a basic 'CarFax'?

Never do a side wall patch or some say a tread patch on an 'Z' rated tire. They might not leak air but the construction integrity is compromised.

DME readout is a must on a manual tranny. Not so much on a Tip since you can't over rev a them.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
moorejd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sample PPI

Just my $0.02. but $550 sounds *ridiculous.* Here's a PPI that I received from a dealer in CA, that cost me $255. I also spoke to the mechanic, who sent me the DME report, and some high-res shots of the car.

Best,

Julian
ps Turns out the "nail" was just a screwhead that was about 1mm deep - phew
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ppi-redacted.pdf (325.1 KB, 202 views)
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

The tire was plugged just to get the car to the dealer...

Anyhow, had trouble with this dealer agreeing to taking the car out for a proper PPI and passed on it.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
The tire was plugged just to get the car to the dealer...

Anyhow, had trouble with this dealer agreeing to taking the car out for a proper PPI and passed on it.

Good move . . . There are plenty of solid 997's in the used car marketplace. It just takes patience and vigilance to find them.

Good luck in your quest!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: on-location PPI (NYC)? update:now req for sample dealer PPI