Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking out quite aggressively?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Coolant leaking out quite aggressively?

Had a low coolant light on the weekend so filled it up with almost a gallon of coolant. Drove to work this morning and saw coolant starting to run out from a tube (i presume) right up by the passenger front fender. Thought it was just a bit of overflow but when I came back after work it was apparent that quite a bit had come out and the warning light came back on.

Went to pick up more coolant and noticed it was coming out again when I parked at the autoparts place. The warning light goes out once the engine warms up nut its losing a lot of coolant.

I have already replaced the cap so it is obviously something more serious. Suggestions? Its a 2006 C4S

Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Probably a hose clamp let loose in that front right radiator. If a smaller amount was leaking I would probably suspect only impact damage.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
vern1
Drifting

Is it easy to get at? (too dark to see at the moment)
Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very likely the hose just came loose. They're just spring clips. It's quite easy to fix once you get all the undertray bits off. Same thing happened to me.

BTW I've read you should not put standard auto-shop coolant in these cars! The OEM fill is some weird polymer junk that supposedly congeals when mixed with normal glycol stuff.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM
vern1
Drifting

Looks like i will have to drop at the mechanic - no time to be crawling around under there this week.

I just used regular pre mixed antifreeze that is supposed to be ok for all cars. Is the Porsche stuff really something that NEEDS to be used or just another Porsche fable designed to get you to buy their overpriced stuff?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vern1
Looks like i will have to drop at the mechanic - no time to be crawling around under there this week.

I just used regular pre mixed antifreeze that is supposed to be ok for all cars. Is the Porsche stuff really something that NEEDS to be used or just another Porsche fable designed to get you to buy their overpriced stuff?

Thanks
Lots of threads, here and on some of the Porsche other sites, from some very knowledgeable folks that indicate mixing of antifreeze will cause gelling of the coolant. Also some concerns WRT the correct antifreeze for aluminum engines. If you flush the system and change over to a non OEM product that is specifically formulated for aluminum engines you will be fine but I think mixing is a bad idea.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
vern1
Drifting

I checked some threads but didnt find much but will look again - thanks

Funny thing is that I refilled it this morning, drove to work again and as of right now, there is no leaking. If its a loose hose then it seems to pick and chose the times it wants to come loose
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

if you `re lucky it is hose mount, if not - a small hole in the radiator. see here DIY of how to take off front bumper, it is not hard, then investigate. suncoast may sell new radiator if needed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...carrera-s.html

sorry here is a direct link to front bumper removal

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album430
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
Very likely the hose just came loose. They're just spring clips. It's quite easy to fix once you get all the undertray bits off. Same thing happened to me.

BTW I've read you should not put standard auto-shop coolant in these cars! The OEM fill is some weird polymer junk that supposedly congeals when mixed with normal glycol stuff.
Is this true? you can omly use Porsche coolant? I did not know their coolant is different than other's ?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coolant at dealer $40.00/gal. From Suncoast $25.00. In some other archive threads others have said that Volkswagen coolant is the same as for Pcars. Jury is out. Maybe we should ask Loren at renntech.com.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sullivas
Coolant at dealer $40.00/gal. From Suncoast $25.00. In some other archive threads others have said that Volkswagen coolant is the same as for Pcars. Jury is out. Maybe we should ask Loren at renntech.com.
Exactly where I get mine, even with shipping its a great deal. Wayne Dempsey has a good article on coolant on the Pelican parts site.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ATER-Flush.htm
I believe the Porsche coolant is manufactured by ELF. They also provide the same coolant for VW and Audi so you may be able to find it cheaper at your local VW/Audi dealer. For me it's just easier to call Ryan at Suncoast and have it delivered to the house.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i really doubt there is any truth in 'special' coolant for 997 cars as plenty of track only porsche cars - gt3, strreet and cup run on pure water with waterwetter with no side effects. regular coolant would do nothing bad imho but if manufacturer wants us to use $40 per gal mix - why not.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

Why not? Its $10/gl for Prestone. If there is a real need for the Porsche "special" coolant then I would use it. But as I said before if its just that Porsche wants you to spend $60 on coolant (and hence the reason for their recommendation), then no thanks.

From Wayne on that Pelican thread "The reality is that any good, modern coolant will work"
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

my last post-season re-build with clutch work, new AOS, new RMS and other bits went above $6K, honestly, $10 for coolant or $100 makes no real difference. plus,like was said, suncoast sells it for $25.

there are probably reasons on why they advice on this bramd and not other but most likely it is all driven by inter-brand wars as VW/Audi stuff is trying to sell what is theirs.

i would not overestimate importance of that stuff. use any coolant you find fit, add some waterwetter to it, watch temperature, if it stays normal then i would say - everything is tip-top. more important issue than just a brand of coolant is to make sure you do not have air bubbles in your coolant hoses - you need to be careful with disconnecting radiators or get a special vacuum tool to suck out all air out of cooling system, also always pre-fill radiators when you`ll mount them back.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 123 Posts

Thx. Any special precautions when toppin off the resivour?

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking out quite aggressively?