Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking out quite aggressively?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
Thx. Any special precautions when toppin off the resivour?
Obviously wait until cool.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Why not? Its $10/gl for Prestone. If there is a real need for the Porsche "special" coolant then I would use it. But as I said before if its just that Porsche wants you to spend $60 on coolant (and hence the reason for their recommendation), then no thanks.

From Wayne on that Pelican thread "The reality is that any good, modern coolant will work"
I've had so little use for my special gallon of Porsche fluid that it has probably gone past it's shelf date by now - bought 5 years ago in Colorado. Suncoast or VW dealer best alternative to Porsche price markup.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 01-10-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have to put a gallon in, at that point, you should realize there is a serious issue with a leak somewhere. Normal operation would not loose any coolant.

If the hose clamp came off, the other question to be asked is, why did it come off? Was there an overpressure due to an obstruction such as a stuck thermostat? Or was the clamp just not installed properly.

I think the crazy issue with two different types of coolant that have bad interactions have been resolved.. but its always good to make sure you have one that matches the active ingredients in the coolant you currently use. Where you buy the coolant is irrellivant.... as the same formations are likely used in all sorts of cars.. there is nothing magical about Porsche cars that changes the boiling point of water or the need to keep it from boiling at operational temps, and the pcars don't run at an unusually high water temp.

If you run in cold winter, the antifreeze component of the coolant would be important, where plain distilled water would not be ideal.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

And therefore back to the original problem. As mentioned I put a gallon in and it drained out. Put some back in, drove the same route and nothing drained out?? If no further drainage then I will get it off the ground on the weekend and check out the clamps to see if I can find the problem

(And I will use the Prestone stuff unless I can find some evidence somewhere that Porsche has a "special sauce" ....and if I spent $6k on a rebuild the diference between $10 and $100/gallon would make a difference but thats just me
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche coolant uses corrosion-inhibiting additives that are based on a chemistry called "Organic Acid Technology" (OAT). Antifreezes with OAT corrosion inhibitors contain organic acid salts of mono- and dicarboxylic acids such as sebasic and octanoic acids, plus tolytriazole. The coolant is less alkaline and protects with a pH reading of only about 8.3. Brands with the OAT additive package include Texaco/Havoline’s "Dex-Cool" and Prestone’s "Extended Life 5/150" antifreeze. OAT coolants contain orange dye to distinguish them from other coolants with conventional additive packages.

Porsche has a TSB out as of 1997 that clearly states to use silicate free antifreeze. So, as long as you use the correct type it really doenst matter whether it’s Prestone, ELF or whatever.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks thats helpful
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had a leak issue, you'll need to bleed the coolant system. The procedure for bleeding the coolant system is at Pelican.com

Best of luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM
vern1
Drifting

Post mortem: Took it to my mechanic and the coolant pipe and coupler were damaged. It has started to leak more aggresively but he said it had been damged a while ago as there was some corrosion. He replaced the parts and all set.

These pipes on both sides are right above the under panelling so an aggresive hit to the panelling (speedbump etc) can damage them
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Speedbump? More like bottoming out on a curbstone. Good to know.. now if I ever do bottom out the paneling (under the doors or where.. at the nose?) I'll know to pull the panel and check the plumbing.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking out quite aggressively?