Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK emergency run

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012 | 11:53 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Default PDK emergency run

Got my first one today (10,700 miles on the dial). Did a search and this was a little different than the ones that came up. Mine happened in the middle of a pretty hard run from a stop sign in manual/sport plus. An eye opening "thump" with loss of power along with the light on the dash. Best I can tell, whatever happened caused the sport and sport plus mode to fail and the system also reverted to auto/normal. That would explain the "loss of power" sensation since it went from third to sixth the moment it went to auto/normal.

I was not in a good spot to pull over so I continued for about a mile. Another thing I noticed was that in emergency run it would skip a gear, going from 1st to 3rd and then to 5th. And the shifts were ridiculously slow and clumsy. Excellent proof though that this is a manual transmission operated by electronic hands as opposed to an automatic. Fantastic when all is in order but this was like someone trying to shift gears with a broken arm. Finally got it shut down, let it rest for a minute and all was back to normal.
Old 01-03-2012 | 12:29 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Interesting.. It's not hard to over-rev the car in manual mode, but the computer should shut down fuel delivery before any damage occurs. Hopefully you haven't 'hurt' the motor.

Keep us in the loop...
Old 01-03-2012 | 06:46 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Being dual clutch, the one that controls 2nd 4th and 6th seems to have shut down temporarily
Sports plus from a stop sign, no P-Police ?
Old 01-03-2012 | 08:59 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Were you able to use the shift buttons to any affect? Was the engine over revving between the missed shifts?
Interesting it went from 3rd to 6th when if failed in sport/sport plus - looks like it flipped over to the other side during the failure.

This should be interesting....
Old 01-03-2012 | 10:10 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bijan
Being dual clutch, the one that controls 2nd 4th and 6th seems to have shut down temporarily
Sports plus from a stop sign, no P-Police ?
I think that's exactly right.

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Were you able to use the shift buttons to any affect? Was the engine over revving between the missed shifts?
Interesting it went from 3rd to 6th when if failed in sport/sport plus - looks like it flipped over to the other side during the failure.

This should be interesting....
Manual didn't work at all. Over revving....no. Quiet the opposite. It shifted as if in auto/normal, i.e. at around 3,000rpm but again, skipped every other gear. As for 3rd to 6th, typo on my part. Went from 3rd to 5th. I only saw 1st, 3rd and 5th during this episode. As Bijan said, one of the clutches seems to have been sidelined along with other things that stopped working.

Quick Reply: PDK emergency run