Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prep for Spring DE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your first several DE's, (in my opinion this is good until you're promoted to a solo run group):

1. Helmet
2. Tech inspection (do it early enough to fix issues, not so early that the info isn't good anymore)
3. Tow hook
4. A field chair
5. A duffel bag or plastic tub. You'll need something to hold your stuff without it blowing away.
6. A hat and sunglasses.
7. Petty cash or a card.
8. A notepad or however you jot notes.
9. A track map.
10. Appropriate apparel for the full day. You'll be driving windows down at over 100 mph, at 8 am AND at 3pm.

That's the bare minimum to me. Food, water, tools, supplies, are all usually available at the track. If you know someone who will be there, see if you can rely on his set of tools and supplies. Don't put the money and effort in on bringing your own stuff until you're committed. Even if you have a mechanical problem, you're not stranded. You're surrounded by car guys, so it's not critical that you bring your own 7mm hex wrench. Special shoes, restraints, driving gloves, etc. are not the limiting factor at this stage, YOU are the limiting factor. You know that douchy guy at the club that blames his racket or club for his profound suckitude? Don't be that guy. The car is way beyond you, and is still beyond most of the people on this forum. If there's any doubt, there's countless videos of Ayrton Senna flogging an NSX in penny loafers and a cardigan, or your Porsche factory driver du jour in Asics. YOUR BRAIN is the is the limiting factor, not the equipment. Get the safety equipment and empty your brain in anticipation of information overload.

If you must bring tools, the only ones you'll need as a beginner are a tire gauge (a good one, not a pen gauge), a torque wrench (with a socket fitting your wheel lugs), and rags or paper towels.

Mental preparation:
1. Track map.
2. Watch videos on Youtube and Vimeo. If you've never been to a DE before, or at that track, watching videos is of limited help. You just won't know enough to appreciate and process what you're watching. For example, I can watch the Godfather like everybody else, but I won't appreciate it the craftsmanship that goes into it without the experience and guidance of an experienced moviegoer or filmaker.
3. Sleep. Get good sleep the 7 days before so that your sleep is banked. You won't get good sleep that weekend.
4. Hydration. Adrenaline dehydrates. And you can't hydrate in 24 hours. So while you're getting good sleep, make sure you're pissing clear those 7 days too.
5. An empty mind. You can't begin learning until you accept your ignorance. Driving a P-car, some things will be counterintuitive, like NEVER LIFTING in response to pucker.

Your first many weekends, you'll be learning car control, track layout, the safe line, getting your eyes up, and locating the corner workers. That's plenty. In fact, that's realistically 2-3 goals too many, even for experienced drivers. Most of the advanced drivers and instructors go in with one or possibly two goals for the weekend. You'll be lucky to finish your weekend with a muscle memory anticipation of the track layout. Car control is a never ending process. The safe line is learned simultaneously with the track layout, but staying on it improves as car control improves. Getting your eyes up takes experience, which means many laps and many hours of doing this so that the mind slows down but you're actually going faster.

Everybody has included a list of things to bring. I'll name one thing to leave at home: your ego. It's an impediment to learning. Fortunately, most of the people who can afford this have been at least moderately successful in life. While that usually involves a healthy ego, it also requires a frank acceptance of your ignorance as a prerequisite to learning more. It's like going from undergrad to graduate school. You may have been magna *** laude in undergrad, but so is everybody else at your graduate school. Similarly, track events are just stupid with senior engineers, lawyers, and surgeons. You're not special here, everybody skis Aspen. It's a refreshing equalizer. You start at the bottom at DE. Empty your hands and pocket and start climbing, because nobody's just going to drop you off at the summit. No worries though, climbing the side of the mountain is the whole point, not standing on the peak. If you golf or run, you know the mindset. The only valid competition is yourself, so have fun and kick your own ***.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might just add that you may opt for track insurance which can be bought for a day or season. Your personal car insurance or even CPO warranty may not cover the track use. I don't buy extra insurance. I try to keep the car on the track but I have seen some misadventures in the 4 DE events I was at last year.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 AM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Originally Posted by seapar
I might just add that you may opt for track insurance which can be bought for a day or season.
This is an excellent point. Be ready to either "self insure" or make sure you have track insurance.

The cars are superbly ready for a novice track day straight from the factory, you really don't need to do anything, other than make sure it is in good shape (good tires, brakes pads, fluid).
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
For your first several DE's, (in my opinion this is good until you're promoted to a solo run group):

1. Helmet
2. Tech inspection (do it early enough to fix issues, not so early that the info isn't good anymore)
3. Tow hook
4. A field chair
5. A duffel bag or plastic tub. You'll need something to hold your stuff without it blowing away.
6. A hat and sunglasses.
7. Petty cash or a card.
8. A notepad or however you jot notes.
9. A track map.
10. Appropriate apparel for the full day. You'll be driving windows down at over 100 mph, at 8 am AND at 3pm.

That's the bare minimum to me. Food, water, tools, supplies, are all usually available at the track. If you know someone who will be there, see if you can rely on his set of tools and supplies. Don't put the money and effort in on bringing your own stuff until you're committed. Even if you have a mechanical problem, you're not stranded. You're surrounded by car guys, so it's not critical that you bring your own 7mm hex wrench. Special shoes, restraints, driving gloves, etc. are not the limiting factor at this stage, YOU are the limiting factor. You know that douchy guy at the club that blames his racket or club for his profound suckitude? Don't be that guy. The car is way beyond you, and is still beyond most of the people on this forum. If there's any doubt, there's countless videos of Ayrton Senna flogging an NSX in penny loafers and a cardigan, or your Porsche factory driver du jour in Asics. YOUR BRAIN is the is the limiting factor, not the equipment. Get the safety equipment and empty your brain in anticipation of information overload.

If you must bring tools, the only ones you'll need as a beginner are a tire gauge (a good one, not a pen gauge), a torque wrench (with a socket fitting your wheel lugs), and rags or paper towels.

Mental preparation:
1. Track map.
2. Watch videos on Youtube and Vimeo. If you've never been to a DE before, or at that track, watching videos is of limited help. You just won't know enough to appreciate and process what you're watching. For example, I can watch the Godfather like everybody else, but I won't appreciate it the craftsmanship that goes into it without the experience and guidance of an experienced moviegoer or filmaker.
3. Sleep. Get good sleep the 7 days before so that your sleep is banked. You won't get good sleep that weekend.
4. Hydration. Adrenaline dehydrates. And you can't hydrate in 24 hours. So while you're getting good sleep, make sure you're pissing clear those 7 days too.
5. An empty mind. You can't begin learning until you accept your ignorance. Driving a P-car, some things will be counterintuitive, like NEVER LIFTING in response to pucker.

Your first many weekends, you'll be learning car control, track layout, the safe line, getting your eyes up, and locating the corner workers. That's plenty. In fact, that's realistically 2-3 goals too many, even for experienced drivers. Most of the advanced drivers and instructors go in with one or possibly two goals for the weekend. You'll be lucky to finish your weekend with a muscle memory anticipation of the track layout. Car control is a never ending process. The safe line is learned simultaneously with the track layout, but staying on it improves as car control improves. Getting your eyes up takes experience, which means many laps and many hours of doing this so that the mind slows down but you're actually going faster.

Everybody has included a list of things to bring. I'll name one thing to leave at home: your ego. It's an impediment to learning. Fortunately, most of the people who can afford this have been at least moderately successful in life. While that usually involves a healthy ego, it also requires a frank acceptance of your ignorance as a prerequisite to learning more. It's like going from undergrad to graduate school. You may have been magna *** laude in undergrad, but so is everybody else at your graduate school. Similarly, track events are just stupid with senior engineers, lawyers, and surgeons. You're not special here, everybody skis Aspen. It's a refreshing equalizer. You start at the bottom at DE. Empty your hands and pocket and start climbing, because nobody's just going to drop you off at the summit. No worries though, climbing the side of the mountain is the whole point, not standing on the peak. If you golf or run, you know the mindset. The only valid competition is yourself, so have fun and kick your own ***.
Big Time +1
Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
I appreciate the comments.
Mdrums - I am not necessarily looking to spend $, but am willing to do so if necessary. CG lock sounds like a good, inexpensive option.
Alan - when I bought the car in July I added about 4 columns to the budget sheet.
Iwas just messin' with ya on the "if you're looking to spend moeny" comment.

I'm just glad you are going to educate yourself more on what your car is capable of and start the path on learning how to drive it in a performance situation.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Default MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!

Wear a watch. You'll be lost without it.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Wear a watch. You'll be lost without it.
yes...with an alarm if possible....

anyone who has seen me snoozing on the benches @NJMP between sessions can confirm this can be an important item.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 PM
lopro
Banned

ACAO very good post. very important information. thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Just add to take along a stop watch! Time your competition.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM
lopro
Banned

make sure its a rolex so you fit in with all the rich track guys. That way when you get addicted you can pawn it for more track time and tires. Because you will get hooked

Quick Reply: Prep for Spring DE