Sponsored by:

Prep for Spring DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Prep for Spring DE

Before any of you gripe, I searched the forum first...looking for confirmation of what I have gathered or additional suggestions overlooked.

I am planning on some DE events throughout 2012. I am running a 2007 C4S with Sports Chrono+, PSE, 3rd radiator. I run on 19" lobsters with MSSs in summer and 18" Carrera IVs with P-Zeros in the winter.

I know I need the following for DE; fire extinguisher, helmet.

What else am I missing? What would you recommend; specific driving shoes? racing suit? gloves?

For a guy that drives his P-car as pretty much a DD, what mods would you recommend that would enhance the track driving experience but not compromise the comfort of a DD?

For example, I have the standard sport seats. Would I benefit from removing the stock driver's seat and installing a more specific track seat? That sort of thing wouldn't bother me in my daily drive, and would allow me to keep the sport seat on the passenger side so my kiddos could easily enter and exit the vehicle, and so my wife wouldn't gripe on our road trips.

What about suspension? or alignment and camber? Again, I am not seeking things that require a lot of leg work prior to and immediately following track days; rather something that can bridge the gap (other than the tire/wheel set-up). I don't care about power (HP/TQ) - the car has more than I can handle as a stock vehicle. I will work my way up to the power mods when I buy my next 911 and turn this one into a full time track car.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

One big plus for tracks is a good seat belt system. If you're not flaiing around inside the car you can concentrate on the driving. (learn how to use what you already have in there).

Suspension setups are something that fall under the 'depends upon the track.' Anyone who does serious racing adjusts their suspension for each road course.

Have you taken advantage of any of the Porsche road programs yet? If not, they will do far more for you than any sort of equipment changes in the car.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Thanks Edgy.
Any recs on seat belt systems?
Can you expand on P road programs? I am headed into PCA regional DE's but have not heard of road programs.

BTW - I hit Santa Barbara 5-6 times per year for my job - I love that place. Should drive out there one of these days.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Since you are starting out what you need the most is a good attitude and open mind.

Your car as it sits right now is way faster than you are so as far as must needed mod's there really are not any. You Michelin Super Sports are awesome tires...just run them at the stock pressure cold 33/37 for your C4S. Once you get better you will start them out at lower pressures for more grip.

However since you sound like you want to buy some stuff I recommend the following that will help you out.

1- change the brake fluid to Motul RBF 660...or 600 if they don't have 660. This is for safety and this fluid is much harder to boil than stock fluid.

2- Yes you will need a helmet. Is there anywhere near you that sells track supplies and stock car helmets? If so go try them on....Aria fits different than Bell for example

3- Go to the mall and get some thin sole Puma shoes....Adaidas sell some fancy thin sole Porsche logo shoes too....Thin soles will help you feel the pedals better, not get in the way and later on you can heel and toe better in them

4- Fold up chair...they sell them at Walmart for $8

5- small soft sided cooler for water and gatoraid type of drinks

6- Order a C-G Lock. This attaches to you seat belt bukle and will allow you to snug it up to your waist and keep you in place in the car .They are only like $30-40....great for Autocross too.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Hmmm... I shall take note. Let's get the season started!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with mdrums but I suggest you skip the c-g lock for your first few events.

IMHO its good to get an idea of the dynamics and g forces that the car can place on your body when you first start.

Not every PCA region requires a fire ext in the lower run groups. Most regions require the same restraint set-up for both the driver and passenger...not sure if that applies to seats and belts both. Email the track chairman to get details.

good luck
Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mike + 1

Go to YouTube and search for "porsche@"name of track you will be attending". You should see hundreds of videos of pcars. Watch the videos in order to memorize the track. The turn in points should be marked with pointer cones.

Check your brake pads as our region wants half or more left on pad thickness.

Good luck..........

Last edited by Harvey in FL; 12-31-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: error

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2011, 05:07 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
Before any of you gripe, I searched the forum first...looking for confirmation of what I have gathered or additional suggestions overlooked.

I am planning on some DE events throughout 2012. I am running a 2007 C4S with Sports Chrono+, PSE, 3rd radiator. I run on 19" lobsters with MSSs in summer and 18" Carrera IVs with P-Zeros in the winter.

I know I need the following for DE; fire extinguisher, helmet.

What else am I missing? What would you recommend; specific driving shoes? racing suit? gloves?

For a guy that drives his P-car as pretty much a DD, what mods would you recommend that would enhance the track driving experience but not compromise the comfort of a DD?

For example, I have the standard sport seats. Would I benefit from removing the stock driver's seat and installing a more specific track seat? That sort of thing wouldn't bother me in my daily drive, and would allow me to keep the sport seat on the passenger side so my kiddos could easily enter and exit the vehicle, and so my wife wouldn't gripe on our road trips.

What about suspension? or alignment and camber? Again, I am not seeking things that require a lot of leg work prior to and immediately following track days; rather something that can bridge the gap (other than the tire/wheel set-up). I don't care about power (HP/TQ) - the car has more than I can handle as a stock vehicle. I will work my way up to the power mods when I buy my next 911 and turn this one into a full time track car.
everything mdrums said. do not worry about car at first events.

for car -spare set of brake pad, make sure your brake pads on the car have more than 50% of material left. do sport oriented alignment of your stock suspension, max negatinve cambe in front (-1 degree probably), 0.5 degree more in rear, front toe set from 0 to 0.05. it 0 car turns in better but steering may feel unstable on higway if you got used to the way how it gets set for general public.

for yourself in addition to the chair - a gallon of water, towel, spare socks/shoes, hat, golf umbrella (not so needed in the spring), sunblock.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
i agree with mdrums but I suggest you skip the c-g lock for your first few events.

IMHO its good to get an idea of the dynamics and g forces that the car can place on your body when you first start.

Not every PCA region requires a fire ext in the lower run groups. Most regions require the same restraint set-up for both the driver and passenger...not sure if that applies to seats and belts both. Email the track chairman to get details.

good luck
Oh he'll feel the forces even with a CG lock...the tighter you are straped in the better you can feel what the car is doing as your bady is not as tense and you are not useing the steering whel to actualy hold yourself in the seat. Yeah the CG-Lock is not a must have but he asked about belts and wanted to spend the money and a CG Lock on the seat belt surley does help with feedback and feel.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

mdrums gives some good advice. Go to an event with the mindset of having fund and learning some new skills. You'll be surprised at how much you learn about your car in that first weekend.

Have fun and create a new column in your budget sheet.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the comments.
Mdrums - I am not necessarily looking to spend $, but am willing to do so if necessary. CG lock sounds like a good, inexpensive option.
Alan - when I bought the car in July I added about 4 columns to the budget sheet.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who only started doing DE events last year, I can tell you these guys are spot on. However, a five point harness becomes needed real quick. I have not found a way to get one installed yet without replacing seats and getting a roll bar but I am sure I am going to start figuring that out.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
6- Order a C-G Lock. This attaches to you seat belt bukle and will allow you to snug it up to your waist and keep you in place in the car .They are only like $30-40....great for Autocross too.
A simple techniqu that costs nothing but works well is to put your seat way back, tighten up your seat belt, and then run the seat forward to where you would normally drive. That will put constant tension on the belt and will definitely hold you in your seat.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

A passing thought as you have added 4 columns. Never ever go back and add them up !
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edgy01
A simple techniqu that costs nothing but works well is to put your seat way back, tighten up your seat belt, and then run the seat forward to where you would normally drive. That will put constant tension on the belt and will definitely hold you in your seat.
Yep that works but you have to do the old autocross trick and do a few twists to the seat belt buckle for it to really stay.

With the CG-Lock it doesn't tear up your belts and you can still do the part you mentioned about reclining your seat...tug hard on the shoulder strap to lock that part of the belt and move the seat back up to tighten the shoulder belt to your body....works like a charm!

Quick Reply: Prep for Spring DE