Sponsored by:

Baby seat for 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baby seat for 997.2?

Hi Everyone, anyone recommend a baby seat for the rear of my 997.2? I live in the US (Northeast). Pics would help also. Thank you!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There are very few (if any) options for putting a baby (rear facing) into the rear. Some people have done it, however many (including myself) were never comfortable with how securely the seat fits back there.

You have a few options:
1) Find a seat that fits back there and see if you can get it tight enough for your comfort. I honest doubt you will. I tried everything.
2) Use the front passenger seat for the rear facing baby seat with the airbag de-activation kit.
3) Wait until your little one is forward facing and then put him/her back there. This is the route that I chose.

It sucked not being able to take the babies needing rear facing in that car with me but again everything that I tried I wasn't comfortable with. Was it in there and tied down? Yes. But I could never get it tight enough to be comfortable with the chance of an accident.

There are many other posts on this and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Cheers!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi. Just went through this, and was well said by ELUSIVE. The ONLY option for a rear facing baby seats to get the seat made by Porsche with the infant insert. It is a pretty cool system that fits into the front seat, disables airbag, etc. It's also the safest, which is e most important.

I got mine off of eBay, 300 shipped...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Once they are facing forward:
I have two Britax Marathon seats in my backseat from time to time. But both of my kids are old enough to sit facing forward. The base fits nice and securely into the seat pocket.
I actually take out the padded seat bottom cushion (it's just mounted with velcro). It allows the car seats to be mounted just a little lower which given the "rake" of the front seats gives the kids a bit more leg room.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:05 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
Once they are facing forward:
I have two Britax Marathon seats in my backseat from time to time. But both of my kids are old enough to sit facing forward. The base fits nice and securely into the seat pocket.
I actually take out the padded seat bottom cushion (it's just mounted with velcro). It allows the car seats to be mounted just a little lower which given the "rake" of the front seats gives the kids a bit more leg room.
did you take of the base?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice feedback everyone. So its looks like until the baby can face forward, no luck. Once they can face forward, there are options. Correct?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
krisedwards
Advanced

This is a Chicco Keyfit 30 WITHOUT base in the back of a 997.1.

The problem is; as you tighten the belt, the seat tilts. There's nothing really under the seat due to its shape, so when you tighten the belt there is nothing to push back and allow it to get tight.

The thing is; this problem exists for any car when you use it without the base. The assumption I'm making is that; if the seat is designed to be used without a base, then it has been crash tested in that configuration, and has passed the test. It just bothers me you can get the belt tight.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
krisedwards
Advanced

BTW, fold one seat back forward, and it makes a perfect changing station!
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

For a front facing child seat, I just went through the same thing with my 944... The best fit I found was a Cosco highback child seat that they sell at Target... Very small surface area to the frame, and only $40!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope - they fit in just fine as is with the normal base. removing the padded seat cushionof the car just gets the kids in a little lower
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by krisedwards
This is a Chicco Keyfit 30 WITHOUT base in the back of a 997.1.

The problem is; as you tighten the belt, the seat tilts. There's nothing really under the seat due to its shape, so when you tighten the belt there is nothing to push back and allow it to get tight.

The thing is; this problem exists for any car when you use it without the base. The assumption I'm making is that; if the seat is designed to be used without a base, then it has been crash tested in that configuration, and has passed the test. It just bothers me you can get the belt tight.
I have been trying to find a child seat that will allow rear facing in the beack seat of a 997.2 coupe.
I really want a base because having to install a seat everytime i take the car would suck.

So is there any rear facing system that allows a base to clip in and out on the fly?
If not, I will have to drive something else until forward facing is possible in the 911.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No experience with using a base but I do have an infant seat in the back of my 997.1 (rear facing) which I have to take ~2 min to install every time. The only reason I haven't attempted using a base is because the seat is a loaner from a friend (it's small enough for the Pcar) and the base is being used in my wife's DD. There are three challenges in adding a base.

1- Increase in the overall height of the child seat making it darn near impossible to put the front passenger seat back into its normal position... just a guess, maybe not an issue.

2 - The seatbelt clip sits out pretty far from the backrest of the seat. This may be a challenge in getting the belt to correctly line up with correct designated path on the infant seat base.

3 - The shape of the base vs. the shape of the car bucket seat. My rear facing infant seat fits very tight using a combination of a few towels to conform to the bucket shape of the rear seat, and a small, stiff piece of memory foam to conform to the bottom of the infant seat. In the end I've got a nice flat and level "cushion" which allows me to tighten up the belt on the infant seat, at the proper angle. It's super tight and very safe for my 12 week old. No reason you couldn't do the same for the base.

All said, if you can get the base in tight, at the proper angle, without it moving from side-to-side or front-to-back, you should be in good shape... Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply: Baby seat for 997.2?