Used Porsche purchase dilemma: C2S vs C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:50 PM
tdot_ducati
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Porsche purchase dilemma: C2S vs C4S

Hey everyone,

I'm new on the forum, just wanted to get some input from those of you who have owned your 997s or 996s for a while.

I'm looking for my first Porsche. I'm at that stage where I don't want to ride my Ducati anymore, so I'm looking for a replacement in a 997 I'm also up in Canada so I can't enjoy my Duc all year round.

I was looking at a 06 997 C2S with low mileage. Then along came this 07 997 C4S with full aerokit and many options, priced slightly higher but with higher mileage.

C2S:
06, 30000KM, 1/2 year left on CPO, sport exhaust, bose, chrono, silver

C4S:
07, 80000KM, no warranty, sport exhaust, adaptive seats, aerokit, turbo wheels, chrono, nav, bose, yellow.

The C4S is 5K more in price. The condition of both vehicles are equally perfect.

My dilemma is, should I stick with the C2S with lower mileage or go with something better in the C4S with higher mileage? Considering the fact that I would probably drive 15000KM a year, after 5 years, the C4S would be at 155000km, is that less desirable in the resell market compared to the C2S at 105000KM?

I've tried searching but I haven't found many experiences from owners with 997s with high mileage, so I can't get a good sense of reliability. Most of them have less than 40000miles.

So if you were me, which one would you choose and why?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

The choice for me would be easy; I'd go for the C2S with less than half the KM and $5K cheaper to boot. For that price difference you could almost add an aerokit, for example, if you were in love with that feature, and still have a car that had been driven a lot fewer miles/km per year as well as one with 6mos of warranty. You mention going with something "better" in the C4S; I think that's a mis-characterization as the C4S isn't better, just a different tool for different circumstances. The only thing that might sway my opinion is that if I lived in a snowy climate, the AWD of the C4S would be an advantage. Being from Canada, that may factor in for you as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

A narrow bodied C2S is always the purist's choice. I needed an all-weather high performance car as 5 months of the year my drive involves icy mountain roads .... Hence went for the C4S. Almost as good as the c2S with tons of grip and power along with the added safety net of the 4 wheel drive. As Mike mentioned, it is not "better" or worse.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM
duke92
Advanced

My advice: determine EXACTLY what you want, then narrow your search and then keep looking until you find it. This minimizes the chances that your major investment becomes a case of buyers remorse.

If you want a low miles C4S with aero--keep looking. If the aero isn't that important, don't get it because it makes the car slightly less practical because of the low ground clearance. Etc...
Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 PM
tbrom
Racer

With the kind of money you are considering spending - I'd get the later model and look for one wtih less miles and in the color you want. I wouldn't go for a yellow car with an areo kit unless that is just the more desired color - the areo kit is a really subjective thing while the Nav is something you will use. I'd keep looking - patience is key when you start down this road. The best advice is always and will always be buy the latest model, best conditioned car you can afford.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by duke92
If you want a low miles C4S with aero--keep looking. If the aero isn't that important, don't get it because it makes the car slightly less practical because of the low ground clearance. Etc...
I agree... C4S + aero would not work in snow unless you remove the aero front end during the winter months. I drove a Fiero in Denver during the mid-80's through the winter seasons. Two wheel drive with S&M tires... not ideal but I got around fine w/o incident. Get the C2S. Then use the $5K in savings for an old truck/SUV with 4x4 if you want/need 4 wheel drive for those extreme weather days. "use the right tool for the job"
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 PM
pt767
Instructor

Half of the fun in owning these cars is the "hunt" for the right car for you. With the 991 getting ready to launch, you'll see lots more cars on the market in the coming months. Be patient!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM
tdot_ducati
3rd Gear

Thanks for everyone's feedback, one advantage as mentioned is the AWD of the C4S. Being in Canada it just makes it more attractive. I personally like the aerokit and the yellow combo, but I do think it'll need to take off the front lip during the winter.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdot_ducati
Thanks for everyone's feedback, one advantage as mentioned is the AWD of the C4S. Being in Canada it just makes it more attractive. I personally like the aerokit and the yellow combo, but I do think it'll need to take off the front lip during the winter.
Welcome to RL - You can get a black rubber chin spoiler from FVD Brombacher to use in the winter - that is my plan. If you like the aerokit, an unadorned 997 will look like it is missing something.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Having lived in Canada for 30 years, the AWD would be beneficial...if it was an SUV! A C4S with aerokit would be a snow plow in the winter. Even if you took it off, the car would still have insufficient clearance for many snow storms. That being said, you could definitely drive it all year round if you want to put up with salt, poor conditions, and other drivers. If you have another vehicle, get the C2S with lower miles or wait for a C4S with lower miles. 80K km is pushing it...resale will be much lower. Plus, having driven and owned awd and rwd Porsches, the ride and feel of the rwd is more rewarding, imo. I still love my C4S though.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

I've only driven C2 for one year and I just didn't like the way it handled in the snow........went to a C-4 and Looooove those cars.

it goes in the snow always. I live on the East Coast and I never worry about driving it in the snow and have never had a storm I couldn't get around in.

I vote C4 especially given where you live!

Tom
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '06 is possibly vulnerable to IMS failure. This is about 10% of engines through that year. If you don't know about it, you need to familiarize yourself. My '05 ate the bearing and needed an engine replacement at 17K. I would also factor this in to the equation. Personally, I purchased a C2 and drive an
Audi with snows in the winter. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by sy308
The '06 is possibly vulnerable to IMS failure. This is about 10% of engines through that year. If you don't know about it, you need to familiarize yourself. My '05 ate the bearing and needed an engine replacement at 17K. I would also factor this in to the equation. Personally, I purchased a C2 and drive an
Audi with snows in the winter. Good luck.
while true (for more than just MY06), this is greatly blown out of proportion

Quick Reply: Used Porsche purchase dilemma: C2S vs C4S