Sponsored by:

Aerokit opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerokit opinion

I understand it's a personal preference, but what are your thoughts on the aerokit for 997.1? Does it make the car more desirable?

I have been looking primarily at ones with the aerokit, but I wonder whether it's too much for daily driving. I love the way the car looks with the kit, but some people say it look too flash. There are also a lot more cars available in the market without the kit, but other desirable options, which will help me with search.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it. It's a BIG time $$$ OEM option......IIRC it was about $7K. What color?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Biggest drawback of the aero kit is the approach angle (vertical clearance of front lip)--couldn't get into my kid's school parking lot, my driveway etc... w/o doing a 45 degree approach. Started driving different routes around town based on clearance. My 993TT is at RoW ride height and has no problems on these same routes.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:38 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I like it. It's a BIG time $$$ OEM option......IIRC it was about $7K. What color?
Black, silver or white.

Does it help or hurt resale value? Is it a desirable option by many buyers?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

I found here in Canada they didnt sell. And imo the carrera is so beautiful as is. If you want "more" I'd do the Gt3 - it just fits. But as for me I always liked more go then show. For example I recall a 997.2 turbo with the rear of a carrera debaged - nice touch
Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the front end, but on the whole i think its too much and draws too much attention for daily driving. On a GT3, well its a GT3 and looks great if thats your choice. I like the clean classic looks of an unadorned Carrera.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Stack24
Intermediate

I personally love the AeroKit and am personally looking for one with it as well. At the end of the day, it's all about what you like to drive and want to spend your money on. You don't want to live for other people, live for yourself and enjoy whatever you get.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by eunsulover
I understand it's a personal preference, but what are your thoughts on the aerokit for 997.1? Does it make the car more desirable?

I have been looking primarily at ones with the aerokit, but I wonder whether it's too much for daily driving. I love the way the car looks with the kit, but some people say it look too flash. There are also a lot more cars available in the market without the kit, but other desirable options, which will help me with search.
It probably depends on who you meet during your daily driving and how you associate with those you meet. For me, the aerokit is a non-starter. Not because of the front but because of the rear wing. In the eyes of the average observer it completely changes the image of the car from an easy to take high end sports car to something that looks like it either just left a race track or is headed that way. Nothing wrong with that but it doesn't work with all client relationships ("so you race cars part of the day?").
Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Depends on where you live but an aero front end would be a PITA and impractical here... I have to do 45 deg angles as it is with my standard front end to get home and park in our driveway. Plus it reminds me of the ricer kids with their lowered "GT" Honda's. Get a GT3 with the real track package to back it up for the inconvenience of recurring nose rubs as a DD... otherwise it looks a bit pretentious IMHO.

BTW, I avoided them when I was searching for a nicely babied C2S earlier this year... off the two I looked at one had carbon fiber strap-on's all over it - cheap and garish. The other was an '06 with a scolded engine(replaced by the p-dealer) and they had to replace the front lip on the aero as well - former owner was a kid who sold it back to the dealer after only two years... translation he drove it hard and not what I was looking for... the aero kitted cars were a non-starter for me afterwards throughout my search for a nicely driven C2S.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

My '84 Carrera had the front lip spoiler and rear whaletail. I loved it but neither my 996 or current 997.2 has the added spoilers. Personally I think the aerokit looks great and wouldn't care what other people have to say or think about it, although as has been mentioned, there are practical clearance issues you have to deal with. OTOH, I also really like the look of the "plain" car so spending the additional $7K on my custom order didn't seem like a solid move. If I were looking at used cars like the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to get an aerokit car if it was right in all the other important ways.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
duke92
Advanced

I love the factory aerokit. The epitome of the 911 to me includes a whale tail or equivalent. The 993 and its turbo tail or the aerokit with the turbo s tail is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. I was looking for something like that in my 997.1. Comments about the GT3 are true--but I achieved that with 4 seats and without the extreme ride.

Comments about clearance are also true. Add PASM and the ride height is even lower (standard on my 4s). I have to watch even moderate rises. Despite this, I have had it for 7 months and the front lip still looks new.

As for resale, You will not get the $7000+ back on a new car that the option costs. The aerokit will add some value at resale if the vehicle is otherwise optioned well and not purple or some other less than desirable color. This cannot be said for non-factory aerokits that others have added. Also, I would mention that I only considered factory installed OEM pieces--you can have problems with the spoiler if the the kit was added after the fact.

Good luck.

Last edited by duke92; 06-02-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is entirely a personal decision. When I was much younger I owned a 911 with an early whale tail. It just 'looked' right for that car. I thought it simply made that car. Today's 997 buyers are generally an older crowd and tend to be a bit more conservative. As they enter the used market younger buyers are out there looking for the more sporty look of the aero kit. I used to drive that thing VERY fast and the tail was truly needed. With the speed limits in America some of the business of the aero kit is simply lost. But ultimately, it comes own to what works best for you. That's why Porsche offers the option!
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I didn't care for it much at first, but it was spec'd by the original owner - LOVE the front

it WILL grow on you - I totally like it now and think my car would look weird without factory aerokit
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I bought the 997.1 C4S because of the aerokit not in spite o it. To me, it completes the car and the front end look is highly desireable. I would have never believed how many folks want to take a picture of this car. As for the scraping front - call FVD and get a black rubber lip spoiler for $175 and scrape away!

Having said all that - I know there are others who can't stand it. They don't have to buy one with it then.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
BTW, I avoided them when I was searching for a nicely babied C2S earlier this year... off the two I looked at one had carbon fiber strap-on's all over it - cheap and garish. The other was an '06 with a scolded engine(replaced by the p-dealer) and they had to replace the front lip on the aero as well - former owner was a kid who sold it back to the dealer after only two years... translation he drove it hard and not what I was looking for... the aero kitted cars were a non-starter for me afterwards throughout my search for a nicely driven C2S.
I will say that the aerokit looks a little funny to me with the narrow body - it's like something is wrong, but you don't know exactly what it is. That doesn't mean I am right.

Quick Reply: Aerokit opinion