Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indicated vs actual speed - observation

Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Thats not about a supposed fudge-factor, that is about the required accuracy of the speedometer. All that reg says is that the speedometer needs to be within a certain tolerance at 50mph.

It just mandates the quality of the speedo be at least this good.
Exactly. According to that quoted regulation and spec, the accuracy range is plus or minus 5mph @ 50, meaning it would also be okay per the standard if the speedo read 45mph when you're really doing 50. It may be perfectly reasonable that manufacturers err on the optomistic side with their speedometers so that customers don't end up with tickets due to them going faster than their instruments tell them they are going. But as to this being mandated by government regulation, I doubt it. At least the regulation posted above doesn't prove the case.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-15-2011 at 02:53 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Don't forget........

There are other regulatory bodies in the world besides the US DOT. There's several others in Europe (EU, Switzerland, UK) and Japan. A manufacturer only wants to build one version of a product that will meet all regulators. So they usually choose the toughest and meet it. The only exceptions is for regulations for a very small market. For those, they might build a special version if it makes economic sense.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I'll look up the real reference that used to refer to an intentional error. Just been a little busy lately to go look it up.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After going through a multitide of local, low speed road radar sensors, the digital speedo seems to read 3 mph high consistently. No observations for speeds over 50 mph.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ditto on the 3 over
Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another marginally interesting note:

3 mph seems like a rather arbitrary figure. But, 3 mph is roughly 5 kph. 5 kph is slightly less arbitrary. It would be interesting to see if, on metric digital speedometers, the difference is 3 or 5 kph. The needle of course, would be 3 mph & 5 kph.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've gone through several low-speed radar signs and they don't read consistently. They are not calibrated either.

As I pass one sign with an indicated speed of 40, its telling me I'm doing 43.
Two miles up the road I can pass one with a speed of 35 and it tells me I'm doing 32.

In the end, all of the speedometer solutions need to account for variances in wheel diameter due to inflation and temperatures and a host of other variables. Having the cars speedo that is using wheel rotation, transmission rotation, or even GPS try to estimate speed results in some variance in that estimate.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather have a speedometer that "fools" me into thinking I'm driving faster than I really am. Better than the other way around.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
There are other regulatory bodies in the world besides the US DOT. There's several others in Europe (EU, Switzerland, UK) and Japan. A manufacturer only wants to build one version of a product that will meet all regulators. So they usually choose the toughest and meet it. The only exceptions is for regulations for a very small market. For those, they might build a special version if it makes economic sense.
No, it is not as if they build a speedometer and plug it in, and that is it. Speedometers are individually calibrated, and they can even be recalibrated. I have one on my truck which I change the setting on depending on which tire set I mount on it. on the p-car it makes perfect sense to indicate a couple of miles higher speed than is actually being driven:

1) The driver thinks he is going really fast so he is happy
2) The police officer sees the happy driver driving the speed limit, so he is happy
3) Porsche does not get sued by the happy driver for the ticket or the accident which was due to a misleading speedometer, so Porsche AG is happy

Everyone wins!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 PM
cuttysark
7th Gear

Indicated speed on our 997.2 is 3 MPH higher than the GPS on the radar detector.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

GPS is great for average speed over a distance, but not very accurate for instantaneous speed determination over a very short distance traveled because of the geometry of the calculations and precision of the system.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

My aim solo dl shows speed below 100km/h as about 4% slower than instrument cluster, and above 100 it goes to about 5-6%. My scooby is much closer like 2-3% slower. But would tend to agree w minor ^^

Last edited by HiWind; 02-12-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I see around 3 mph high on the digital speedo of my 11 GTS compared to 2 different GPS units.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
In case anybody is wondering, I had the opportunity to observe the indicated speed as shown by three sources: speedometer, OBD, and GPS. The OBD and GPS signals came from my Aim Solo DL.

OBD and GPS show the same speed value. The speedometer displays a higher value. The delta varies, but at 65 mph on the GPS and OBD, the speedometer shows 68.

The bottom line? The car has a more faithful measure of speed, but Porsche has chosen to not display it on the dash.
No link to post to the info but I take it on faith it is mandated (at least in the EU and obviously since the EU countries represent a large market for Porsche it is going to adhere to the mandate) that the car's speedo must not ever indicate less speed than the vehicle is going.

IOWs, the speedo in the car can be optimistic -- indicating 70mph when in fact the car's only traveling 65mph.

OTOH, the speedo can not be pessimistic -- indicating 65mph when the vehicle is actually traveling at 66mph.

Also, years ago when I first encountered this difference in indicated speed vs. speed from the OBD2 link and GPS speed, I have tested my Boxster's odometer over 200 miles of driving and found it disagreed with a GPS's distance traveled by just 0.2 mile. This works out to 50 miles in 50K miles.

I have a very good sense of both of my cars' speedo optimism -- the Boxster's I had a speed shop calibrate it -- and adjust my driving to allow for speed optimism.

In the case of my Boxster the speedo reads 5mph fast and in the case of my Turbo 2 mph fast.

Relax. The speedo in your car reads a might higher than actual speed. The odometer is not affected, so no biggie.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM
sdawsonracing
3rd Gear

We just purchased a 2006 911S and while the wife was following me on the ride home she asked me why I was driving so slow. After a little testing we found our Speedo display reads 3mph fast compared to our newer Chevy Suburban. Will test with a local state trooper soon and report findings to the group. I think I will need a calibration. I would prefer it be accurate.

Sincerely,

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Indicated vs actual speed - observation