Sponsored by:

Long Term Ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I don't see myself getting rid of this car anytime soon! It's the color I want; I've put way less miles on it than I expected and.....I love it! I was ready for the 997 and couldn't wait to get one....I don't feel the same about the 991!
Tom, do you think I can borrow my brain for the weekend?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
I turn over cars like it's nothing, becoming quickly bored. A month after buying my 997, I was already looking at Autotrader.com.

It's not the car, it's a sickness.

I suppose I should always lease, as a means of forced "ownership" or have Jay Leno's income.
+1. I constantly look. I'm like a bluetooth device searching for a signal. Better p-cars than women. What happens is that every time I get close to swapping cars mine breaks down out of protest. Rather scary. Sort of a fatal attraction kinda thing.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeus993
+1. I constantly look. I'm like a bluetooth device searching for a signal. Better p-cars than women. What happens is that every time I get close to swapping cars mine breaks down out of protest. Rather scary. Sort of a fatal attraction kinda thing.
I'm with you. I love cars. Give me a $30,000,000 raise and I could easily do cars like Jay Leno.

I'm fighting like hell with myself to keep my 997 for another 14 months, when the warranty is about up.

Better fine German cars, than women. No argument there.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by jason74
As the 991 seems to have gone up in price, does this help to support 997 value? To get a 991S with options you're looking at $110-120k. Even base 991 gets to $95k without a lot on it!
well, my '08 C2S had a sticker of > $108K (with no dash wart).....so it's all relative
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by hpowders
Better fine German cars, than women. No argument there.
German women.

I can't get enough of 'em.

Each new model I ride is a little wider, it's true. I still think back to my first. She was an original 1963 model and I was 18. Even at that age, I really appreciated how direct and unfiltered her responses were.

As I've matured, so the models have become more sophisticated (and less demanding) and the ride more comfortable.

But there's still no substitute.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Tom, do you think I can borrow my brain for the weekend?
Yeah sure.........just give me some advance warning as to what weekend you need it......it's too late for this weekend!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Told him the new Porsche isn't so exciting (really guys, you'd better be a better driver than me if you plan to lose me at the track with one).
Not to be argumentative, but Porsche has gotten significantly better times at the Nurburgring with the new car, presumably with the same drivers or at least ones comparably skilled as drove the old one. Seems like a reasonable yardstick for assuming that the new car is actually faster. Just wondering what makes you believe that someone with your skill level wouldn't be faster on track in a 991 than you are in your 997.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
German women.

I can't get enough of 'em.

Each new model I ride is a little wider, it's true. I still think back to my first. She was an original 1963 model and I was 18. Even at that age, I really appreciated how direct and unfiltered her responses were.

As I've matured, so the models have become more sophisticated (and less demanding) and the ride more comfortable.

But there's still no substitute.
I do Porsches and BMWs, always using proper protection*. Nothing else will do. These cars have spoiled me for life.

*Valentine One

Last edited by hpowders; 12-07-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i kinda like that RonCT recently did - sold his '09 C2S and got nice clean 993 car. Now he does not care about this rat rce with newer models and owns a car that runs great and will run great for 20 more years, at least, or may be even more.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm going to drive it till the wheels fall off. I like it when a car gets a bit worn in with a few minor minor dents and I can sort out the mods I really like in a car. I get more comfortable with it and less uptight. I don't like models either- when women are too perfect they get too high maintanance.

I bought a BMW a few years back with 25k miles and drove it to 430k miles in 8 years (I do a lot of driving). The wheels didn't fall off but the trans did. I sold it to some kid as a project.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Planned obsolescense: just say NO!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
chrcook
Racer

I was fortunate enough to find one a 09 C2S on a lot optioned EXACTLY the way I would have ordered it, so fate says this is the car for me for 20+ years. Only change is she will get a companion in about 2 years: a ’10 GT3RS 3.8! While not exactly a rare car, I believe it will become a classic as the last of the raw 911s. Of course, I have no idea what the 991 GT3 will be, but I suspect it will have more electronic aids to than the 997.2 GT3. Could be wrong…
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not to be argumentative, but Porsche has gotten significantly better times at the Nurburgring with the new car, presumably with the same drivers or at least ones comparably skilled as drove the old one. Seems like a reasonable yardstick for assuming that the new car is actually faster. Just wondering what makes you believe that someone with your skill level wouldn't be faster on track in a 991 than you are in your 997.
Thanks, not to be argumentative either!

"Ring times are among the biggest capers in Automotive Marketing. You can bet your next 911 that no company brings anything but a ringer (pun not intended, but employed nonetheless) to the parade. While not every manufacturer does, Porsche closes it for their runs.

There is NO independent verification of anything for these runs, you're trusting...what? The manuf. know this and with this much at stake, can and will cheat.

Finally, the difference between WR or his comrades and you and me is enormous. Their time around the ring leaves enough for toast and coffee while they are waiting for us. Just not a valid comparison as to what to expect from us mortals. It is unlikely that with the same driver that the new car could lap more than a couple/few seconds faster on, say Road Atlanta. A gulf easily spanned by better driver.

Ever been passed at the track by someone in "inferior" iron? I have...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i kinda like that RonCT recently did - sold his '09 C2S and got nice clean 993 car. Now he does not care about this rat rce with newer models and owns a car that runs great and will run great for 20 more years, at least, or may be even more.

Ron did acquire a beautiful car. But he is commited to air cooled. Not because he wants out of the "latest and greatest" new car treadmill. I have had a number of 911s and each generation advances the abilities of these cars. The only cure is to have more than one example of the generations Porsche has created.

Mark
Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chrcook
I was fortunate enough to find one a 09 C2S on a lot optioned EXACTLY the way I would have ordered it, so fate says this is the car for me for 20+ years. Only change is she will get a companion in about 2 years: a ’10 GT3RS 3.8! While not exactly a rare car, I believe it will become a classic as the last of the raw 911s. Of course, I have no idea what the 991 GT3 will be, but I suspect it will have more electronic aids to than the 997.2 GT3. Could be wrong…
Too many examples to be a classic. The 2012 GT3 4.0 has been built in very limited numbers and is a whole lot more raw.

Mark

Quick Reply: Long Term Ownership?