Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Palo Alto or Bay Area Body Shop

Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Palo Alto or Bay Area Body Shop

My friend's new 2012 997S was just rear-ended by an AT&A service truck. It only has 745 miles. Does anybody know of a recommended or certified Porsche body shop in the Bay Area?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Mathews-Carlsen in Palo Alto or a Porsche approved collision center - Fletcher Jones/EMC in Fremont.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

I second the recommendation for EMC Collision in Fremont. I had work done there in the past. Excellent quality body and paint work.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

That's terrible. I would have cried.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

THAT SUCKS! I once had my Audi of 1000 miles old got hit by a crazy drunk truck driver, it really HURT!

What sort of damage? any engine damage?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig T.
My friend's new 2012 997S was just rear-ended by an AT&A service truck. It only has 745 miles. Does anybody know of a recommended or certified Porsche body shop in the Bay Area?
FMC (not a typo for EMC) repaired my 03 Turbo after I smacked a mule deer with the car. Over $25K in damage but FMS put the back to its pre-collision condition, as it is required by CA law to do.

FMC was at that time still the body shop recommended/used by Fletcher-Jones Porsche, where I bought the car. I specifically asked F-J which body shop to use and *FMC* was it.

(I had another body shop owner who also recommended FMC.)

However, EMC also came in for high praise and in fact at the time I had my Turbo in the FMC shop, F-J Mercedes-Benz had switched over to using EMC.

Because F-J has settled on EMC for all its car brands it would be my recommendation but I have no direct experience with that shop.

Just to give you a head's up:

Be sure to insist, put it in writing and get a response back in writing, that the car must be repaired to maintain the car's new car warranty. (My Turbo retained its CPO warranty after the accident repair.)

Basically this requires the car be repaired by a Porsche Approved Collision Center (look for the certificate in the body shop office) and all replacement parts be new and bought from PCNA, and bought through an authorized Porsche dealer, and any mechanical systems (exhaust, cooling, lights, A/C, etc. damaged in the collision repaired by a Porsche certified mechanic. The body shop techs are not qualified to perform mechanical repairs. Some body shops can be pressured by the insurance company to do this mechanical work in house. The dealer charges (at last check) $150/hour and does not discount to body shops, even those that it partners with.

Then before the car can be certified as road worthy the car must be inspected by a qualified Porsche tech who knows (there is a check list) what to look at/for.

The preliminary work to determine the extent of the damage and the viability of the car being fixed properly begins with the car being partially torn down: bumper covers, wheels/tires removed; and the car placed on a Celette Bench and the car's body, suspension, steering, drivetrain hardpoints checked to see not one is out of position. If any are found out of position they can be pulled into position, unless the damage is too severe. The body shop can make this determination.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 11-18-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Changed 'EMC' to 'FMC'
Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
That's terrible. I would have cried.
I'm afraid I might have some soft tissue injury....
Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely give Paul at Mathews-Carlsen in Palo Alto a call. I used them before. These guys really know about Porsche car, I highly recommend them. Paul is also a really nice guy to work with.

About three years ago someone rear-ended my 997S on 101S, and it was not a small dent (cost about $18K for the repair.) Paul and the shop did an excellent job repairing my car, and the car looked and drove just like new after the repair.

With best regards,

Here my old thread about the accident and the repair.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...way-today.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Palo Alto or Bay Area Body Shop