Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

GUNDO; name change

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasJ
lets call it Bruce, what are the advantages of Bruce over "the gundo"?
Appreciate the suggestion. Listen to the clip in post #7, I get a bunch of positive compliments about my "sound".

Also see here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BruceinC...11/S4WfF95qI-E
Old 11-19-2011, 10:21 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Appreciate the suggestion. Listen to the clip in post #7, I get a bunch of positive compliments about my "sound".

Also see here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BruceinC...11/S4WfF95qI-E
HI Bruce, I agree it sounds great, but so dose "the gundo" and pse, but I suppose you had a reason for adding the "extra work" in order to reach a different result!? Or is this just how Gemballa do their "hack"?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

HI Bruce, I agree it sounds great, but so dose "the gundo" and pse, but I suppose you had a reason for adding the "extra work" in order to reach a different result!? Or is this just how Gemballa do their "hack"?
Correct that's just how Gemballa does their "hack"
Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I am going to put my .02 in here since my name was mentioned earlier on.
I do sport muffler modifications. I do not consider it to be a "hack". I have been modifying Porsche mufflers for about 6 years. I use only stainless steel tubing and TIG weld everything with stainless. It is a modification that will last as long as your mufflers will last and I warranty all of my welding for life. I use a specific size pipe in a specific location, ensure that the holes are the proper size for the tubing, and take care to weld everything properly. I take a lot of pride in what I do and do not consider it to be a "hack."
Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2011, 11:18 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes you have always had an excellent product Darin. I think some people just cant stand the thought that someone can come out with an idea and product that sounds the same as PSE but at much less cost and therefore insinuate that there must be something wrong with it.

Wish you had something for the 997 like the stage III that I have on my 993 though....
Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Sharkys
Advanced

Darin,

If you made a stage III 997 exhaust, I would order it too. Well, maybe a stage II would be work. Thanks for decreasing my mpg
Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharkys
Darin,

If you made a stage III 997 exhaust, I would order it too. Well, maybe a stage II would be work. Thanks for decreasing my mpg
I just sent a set of mufflers to Darin to mod for my 997.2. I already run Sharkwerks cross over in place of the center muffler. Anyone currently using this combination?

I prefer "Gonzo exhaust mod" to commemorate the spirit of the late Hunter S. Thompson. I feel that this is the approach he might have taken to the project if so inclined.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
You realize the etymology of the word 'hack' has changed significantly in the last 10 years. It is no longer just reserved solely for negative connotations, eg "hack job", or "he is such a hack."

The word now can have a positive connotation. It encompasses the engineering spirit, the idea that you can make modify and existing product and make it better, or tailor it to your needs.

Being offended by the word hack is what I would expect from the old man yelling at those crazy kids to get off his lawn.
Actually, it's a bloody roller coaster of a word. When we coined it back in the fifties or sixties, the connotation was exactly what you describe. Entirely favorable and said in admiration. Across the techno-culture, we applied the word to useful and ingenious feats of adapting existing designs to new purposes.

Old computer coders still get annoyed at hearing system vandals referred to as 'hackers'. (The term 'crackers' is preferred but that brings in a whole additional set of connotations to us really old guys.) The press picked up the term about the time the public noticed that computers could be persuaded to do surprising nasty things no one intended, neither the builder nor the buyer. Of course, by then we'd been making computers do things no one originally intended for at least twenty years. The desirable hacks almost provide the definition of progress in coding and the techniques of hacking into an existing code base to fix problems and accomodate new functions were formalized in the Air Force at least, and probably throughout the business. We also had built some of the most astonishing hybrid computers in that rapid development phase of the underlying hardware -- and yes, we called the result "a hack." A glorious hack, an amazing hack, or even "Did you see that startling hack Sims pulled off?"

The journalistic use of the term led to 'hacker' acquiring a borderline-criminal connotation, but that usage will seem natural only to the middle-aged frumps hollering at kids to get off their lawn. Not us old guys...

Gary
Old 12-19-2011, 06:17 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
I just sent a set of mufflers to Darin to mod for my 997.2. I already run Sharkwerks cross over in place of the center muffler. Anyone currently using this combination?

I prefer "Gonzo exhaust mod" to commemorate the spirit of the late Hunter S. Thompson. I feel that this is the approach he might have taken to the project if so inclined.

I would love to hear your feedback once its done, I also have the crossover pipe but still hesitant on further mods
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to hear your feedback once its done, I also have the crossover pipe but still hesitant on further mods
Will report back and record if possible. it may be a few weeks.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

I do believe that there have been a fair number of guys who combined the crossover with Fisters mod or the gundo (essentailly the same process). As with the 997.1 it will produce a more aggressive and deeper sound than stock (plenty of clips on Youtube).

However the Fister III's on the 993 are quite a bit more aggressive and are an internal mod (rather than a cross pipe). If I recall correctly, when I asked Darin about trying the same internal mod on the 997 muffler he said the mufflers were much more expensive than the 993's and therefore not quite as suitable for mod experiments. I suspect there may not be as big of a market as well, as the 993 guys tend to be a little more aggressive with their mods as well.

Darin pls correct me if I got some of this wrong. I do however have a second set of 997 cans if you want to consider trying it out.....

Thanks

Quick Reply: GUNDO; name change