Sponsored by:

2007 purchase - logistical advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:09 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 2007 purchase - logistical advice

I'm looking at a 2007 997 with 24K miles, but before I make an offer, there are a bunch of logistical hurdles to get over. Maybe I can get some advice here.

1) The car is about 250 miles North of my home and it's full-on winter there.
2) The current owner has not been driving it during the winter, so it doesn't have winter tires.
3) The closest Porsche dealership is 90 minutes from the current owner's house.
4) The closest indy shop that would do a PPI is 50 minutes from the current owner's house.

So here's the question: How do I get a PPI and DME scan? Can it be driven an hour or two on cold summer tires?

And here's one more: If everything checks out I'd probably have it flat-bedded home, where I can get it into a proper winter set-up. What can I expect to pay to have the car transported 250 miles? I wish I could drive that baby back personally, but I'd be hesitant to drive 250 miles in sub-freezing weather on summer Pirellis.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I you intend to drive it in the winter and will be purchasing a winter setup anyway... you could bring your tires and wheels, swap them out, take it to the indy to do the PPI and if it checks out - you are all set. If not, take your wheels and tires and move on to the next deal.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Maybe the dealer or Indy can suggest a way to flatbed it in for the PPI. Might cost a few hundred dollars but If I were the owner of the car I'd be hesitant to let some guy come over and take my car out, that I've kept out of the snow, and drive it an hour or two away.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Here's a possible plan:

1) Ship the winter wheel/tire set to the indy shop (or see if the indy shop might be able to find me a decent setup for purchase)
2) Tell the current owner to somehow get the car to the indy shop that will do my ppi (the mechanic at the shop believes the summer tires will be ok for the 30 miles)
3) Travel to the indy shop to meet the current owner and do the ppi
4) If the car passes the DME scan and ppi, swap the wheels and have the summer set shipped home
5) Drive my new car home

I guess the only issue is regarding license plates. How can I procure plates/registration, etc for a car I don't own yet and might not even buy? In other words: How would I be able to drive it home?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I used to drive my cars with non-winter tires occasionally but only a little. I would check the weather forecasts carefully and plan on a run up there to move the car over for the investigation (PPI). DME scan is minimum. Recall that tires warm up, even when it's cold outside. Just drive conservatively--which any reasonable person would do with an unfamiliar car anyway.

The whole tire thing is when you are challenging the car in the dead of winter. If you're simply moving the car around a little I wouldn't sweat it for a moment.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would ask the seller to have that done on his nickel, since he would have to do it for anybody anyway. If it checks out, you reimburse him for it. If it checks out, have him ship you the car on a carrier you arrange in cooperation with him and you pay for it.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would NOT move the car on summer tires in snow or wet conditions under maybe 35 degrees. These summer tires really are like hard plastic in wet, cold conditions. I've been caught once in low 30's temps with snow coming down on a wet road on summer tires. That was not even anywhere close to being fun. The car was extremely squirrly even driving extra conservatively.

However, as Dan said, if the weather is dry and sunny, the summer tires will be fine if you drive conservatively even in cold temps.

I guess the only issue is regarding license plates. How can I procure plates/registration, etc for a car I don't own yet and might not even buy? In other words: How would I be able to drive it home?
If you purchase the car during a weekday, you may be able to get to a local DMV in that state and buy a temporary tag that is good for 30 to 90 days (depending on the state).

Here is what Wisconsin does:

Out of state residents buying a vehicle in Wisconsin may purchase a temporary plate that is valid for 30 days from the first date of operation from DMV temporary license plate agents or DMV service centers offering registration services. The fee is $3 plus a service fee up to $5. Out of state residents with valid transferable plates from their home state may use their plates while operating in Wisconsin.

The temp license plate agents in my area include service stations that have longer hours than DMV locations.

If you buy it and can't get a temporary plate, then have the seller write up a bill of sale, date it and put all necessary info on that (VIN, addresses, etc) and keep that document and the signed title with you. I would think that if you get pulled over, you could at least prove that you just bought the car, had no way of getting to a DMV (if after hours) and are just heading home with the car. I'd make a call to the DMV in that state to see what the laws are and how you can legally drive the car. Most states have provisions and solutions for your situation.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Here's a possible plan:

1) Ship the winter wheel/tire set to the indy shop (or see if the indy shop might be able to find me a decent setup for purchase)
2) Tell the current owner to somehow get the car to the indy shop that will do my ppi (the mechanic at the shop believes the summer tires will be ok for the 30 miles)
3) Travel to the indy shop to meet the current owner and do the ppi
4) If the car passes the DME scan and ppi, swap the wheels and have the summer set shipped home
5) Drive my new car home

I like your plan and I agree with the mechanic and Edgy. As long as the roads are clear, thirty miles on a summer compound won't matter. As Edgy says, they warm up in use, but even if they never reach the optimum temp range for grip, they're going to have as much grip as the crap a lot of people drive around on all year long. As he says, just be conservative, as you know you would be with a unfamiliar car.

Unless you're hoping for a used set of winter wheels and tires, your best bet is to call Damon at Tire Rack and order what you want shipped to that local shop. They are quite good about such things. In fact, I had them ship new tires to the shop repairing Cindy's NSX after the mechanic crashed it. They sat there for three weeks until the car finally reached the legal damage limit and had to be declared salvage. At that point, Tire Rack accepted the tires back and gave us a full refund. Memory is fuzzy, but I believe they even mailed the shop a pre-paid return shipping label. Good people to deal with.

As for paperwork, it varies with the state, but first: let's assume this guy holds the ownership papers. If he has a lien, it's more complicated and you need more detailed help. If he holds the registration, what we call "the pink slip" in California, then he gives it to you after signing the back releasing ownership. You keep it safe, maybe sending it home by registered mail, and carry a copy with you. When you get home, just take the registration to your dept of motor vehicles. Bob's your uncle.

The plates are going to be trashed, but you might avoid explaining to some LE if you keep them on until you get the car into the DMV at home. Unless they are vanity plates and he wants to keep them. In that case, I'd print a note (most home computers can create a professional-looking document in no time) that says "New private purchase. Driver has ownership papers and has submitted tranfer of registration forms." Tape that up in the usual place -- lower right front for us -- and the odds are good you'll never get stopped, but if you do, you'll have that copy of the pink slip to show.

This way you can drive the car home, which saves you the flatbed cost, but more important you get to drive your new Porsche home.
Gary
Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Unless you're hoping for a used set of winter wheels and tires, your best bet is to call Damon at Tire Rack and order what you want shipped to that local shop.
I agree that working with Damon at The Rack is a good bet. He's helped me out tremendously.

Keep in mind that new winter tires are very hard to find in 18" and 19" sizes for 997's at this point. The only new winter tires in stock at the Tire Rack are 265/40 18" rears. Other vendors don't have much either. Before ordering from Wheel Enhancement, you maybe would want to PM me on that idea...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:44 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the great info.

I'm hoping to be able to score a used winter setup on the cheap from either craigslist, ebay or other channels - any other sources that might bear fruit?

If I can't get the tires, what do we think about a careful 250 mile cruise on summer tires in a North East January? Kinda scary...

Quick Reply: 2007 purchase - logistical advice