Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 997 Reliability??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at 29k on my 2009 C2S now. The only issue, so far, is that one of the horns went out last week. Living anywhere but NY it wouldn't have gone so quickly. It burned one quart of oil in the first 1500 miles, none since.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
I'm at 29k on my 2009 C2S now. The only issue, so far, is that one of the horns went out last week. Living anywhere but NY it wouldn't have gone so quickly. It burned one quart of oil in the first 1500 miles, none since.
A horn? Or even horns? Does mine have a horn? Or was that special order for New York?

Gary, living in the California desert
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 S, 7.7k miles, zero probs.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:55 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Simsgw...great info. What would I be experiencing with the fuel pump issue? I think the an 8/08 build date might be considered early?..I don't know. My tail pipes are black...tough I expect them to be. My mileage is up to 29 highway and avg 20 city. It might be all mental but I actually thnk the car is driving better the past 5k miles or so...more responsive, smother, throatier exhaust note etc...even if it is only perceived...I'm lovin it. I'm considering a TurboS if I can manage it. If I stick with mu C4S...I will have the fuel pump looked into, the tranny flash as well. I did not mention the lower horn note going away about 2k miles ago..happened after a ton of rain over a week. Other than sounding like a circus clown car, it doesn't bother me. I'll be to the dealer within the month anyway.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:59 AM
mambodoc
Pro

PS...mine was a leftover...most likely due to the sports bucket seats. I hesitated at first, but after getting in...they'll be a necessary option for me in any future Porsche. The MOST comfortable driving seat I've ever had. I'm 6'2" and 200lb.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:18 AM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15K on a 2009 C2. Had a cylinder misfire which was blamed on the HPFPI was told all were changed out- must havebeen part of the campaign. Otherwise running well.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by mambodoc
PS...mine was a leftover...most likely due to the sports bucket seats. I hesitated at first, but after getting in...they'll be a necessary option for me in any future Porsche. The MOST comfortable driving seat I've ever had. I'm 6'2" and 200lb.
Same here. It's not just the comfort but the buckets also take connecting with the car to another level imo.

As for reliability, at 9K miles the only issue so far was a CEL light that was cleared by the dealer once but came back days later. Turned out to be a faulty "tank leak diagnosis module". A contraption that detects a leaking fuel tank and triggers a warning. Never heard of it before. "Typical garage queen item" said the tech. Not my fault but the original owner's fault who put 1,900 miles on this car in two years. Getting the car back in good health now with 1,000 miles/month since April and she says thanks every day. Solid as a rock.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:04 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Simsgw...great info. What would I be experiencing with the fuel pump issue? I think the an 8/08 build date might be considered early?..I don't know. My tail pipes are black...tough I expect them to be. My mileage is up to 29 highway and avg 20 city. It might be all mental but I actually thnk the car is driving better the past 5k miles or so...more responsive, smother, throatier exhaust note etc...even if it is only perceived...I'm lovin it. I'm considering a TurboS if I can manage it. If I stick with mu C4S...I will have the fuel pump looked into, the tranny flash as well. I did not mention the lower horn note going away about 2k miles ago..happened after a ton of rain over a week. Other than sounding like a circus clown car, it doesn't bother me. I'll be to the dealer within the month anyway.
My own symptoms were these. I'd start up when the light changed green, but with a slow car in front. The driver would hesitate, trying to find second or listen to a passenger, and I'd have to back off the gas while still going five or ten mph. The engine would die. Or in a parking lot, I'd pull away gently so as not to reach sixty mph by the driveway, so I'd back off the gas right after the clutch engaged. Bingo. Same problem. Any situation that called for a gentle but necessary amount of torque at low throttle settings would cause a stall.

Seriously not an issue, just embarrassing to a hotshot driver. Especially the first couple of times when I hadn't learned that you must completely turn the key to the off position before moving it back to 'on' and engaging the starter. Adding to my embarrassment the first time, I was afraid the guy behind would run into me as the car slowed unexpectedly, so as soon as the engine caught I slapped the shift into the far left corner for first gear. Of course, the far left column isn't one-two in a Porsche, it's reverse-null, so I ended up in reverse and lost another full second correcting that problem. Of course, I suppose my back-up lights galvanized the driver behind better than dinner and drinks with Johnny Depp, but at least she didn't hit me. I pulled alongside at the next intersection, lowered a window and apologized. She got a kick out of it. Darn it.

Basically, all of that except the kinky starter switch and the reverse being upper left is typical of high-performance engines I learned on, so I just adapted a technique with a little more clutch slip. Then they changed the HPFP and it all went away. Now the engine is as docile at low speed as a ... as a... jeez, my golf cart is far worse. As docile as a Peruvian Paso. That covers it.

Incidentally, 08/08 is the build date for my car also. And I also found that it drove better and better as the miles built up. I first noticed the lovely throaty exhaust note around 20,000 I think. Great cars.

Gary
Old 11-13-2011, 04:09 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 566 Posts

Call your dealer and just tell them you want a new HPFP. That's what I did. I had zero issues before but had a new one put in anyways. I think they will do it any ways if your car is in for something. So schedule an oil change or something and have them do it.

I think my build is first quarter 2009.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:26 PM
BC-997
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just over 5000 spirited miles on my 2011 and no issues. One of the most reliable high performance cars I've owned. Like Gary said, read the manual and maintain all fluid levels. Personally, I take the recommended oil change interval and do it twice as often. That has served me well over the past 20 years of driving, even in some very temperamental performance cars.

Campy Chorus all the way...for you cyclists.
Cheers!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
chrcook
Racer

15,000 on a C2S 6-speed and no issues. High pressure fuel pump was replaced at the last service voluntarialy, but it did not fail.

Couple of observations on oil and soot. During the first 5k miles, I drove it shifing at 4k RPM and never 100% throttle. It did go throgh abot 2 qts of oil and soot a bit. As it rolled 5k miles during a trip, I downshifted and wound it to redline in 2nd and 3rd. Hasn't used a drop of oil, or sooted, since then.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2009 997 Reliability??