Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 997 Reliability??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 269 Posts

14,000 miles on my 2010....not even one issue.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=simsgw;9012810]Thank you, Michael. Nothing like a pretty girl to make an image sing, is there?

You obviously did read the manual. You did it correctly adding half a quart at a time. Incidentally, all that business about oil consumption is fluff. Only three or four things on a modern engine cause it to consume more oil than the designers intended should be the case for an engine operating properly. And they aren't hard to spot in other ways. If none of those is wrong, then oil is just... well, a consumable just like gasoline, not a symptom. I joke about it, but I doubt any of us really would care even if we had to allocate two bucks for half a quart of Mobil One every other tankful. If you can afford a 997, you could afford that extra buck per tankful.

As for my own 2009 C2S, it consumed about half a quart for each of my 7000-mile intervals between oil changes. Then I spent a track day testing tire pressures for the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports and aside from pit stops the engine spent about a hundred miles between 5000 rpm and 7000 rpm. I burned half a tank of gas and half a quart of oil in that hundred miles. (Maybe only ninety. Who counts?) That oil consumption was not suddenly 'excessive', it was simply appropriate to the levels of power the engine was asked for lap after lap. That's what oil is for.

Normally, my engine doesn't use enough oil to drop a bar in twenty times that distance, but I doubt it sees ten minutes a month -- aggregate -- above five thousand rpm. (Let's see. That's 600 seconds in 30 days, or 20 seconds a day so 20 high rpm shifts? Yeah. That's about the most in driving public roads.)

That one track day had four sessions. Call them twenty minutes apiece and there's eighty minutes. Discounting warm-up laps (4 x 100 seconds), the engine saw around 5,000 seconds in the band from torque peak to power peak. Call it 4000 seconds to be conservative. Some of that time was spent steering with the throttle, but for practical purposes, we're talking full throttle for more seconds than I ask of it in six months of street driving.

I'd say half a quart is reasonable consumption.

Gary (P.S. That little sweetheart beside me died a few years ago. Lovely Australian Shepherd, and we miss her. I love that picture too.)[/QUOT

only took me 2 days to find a jpeg under 149kb, sadly the tri-color passed away young. Can we have a poll corelating Porsche drivers to dog breeds?
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Campagnolo1
I've done some searches about 2009 997 but can't find much. I was wondering if there is any data out there about the reliability of the 2009 and newer 997s. I understand that the IMS was fixed due to a new engine design but I was also wondering what other issues that car has and if it is a much more reliable car than prior years. Was the RMS issue fixed also?
Thanks
Conventional wisdom recently imparted upon me by a well know P car guru in Torrance CA = 997.2 engines are vast step up in reliability, but may be prone to excess carbon buildup due to DFI. Solution = weekly "italian tuneups".

i think you should buy with confidence and keep riding your bike(s)

[QUOTE=Mark Harris;9012446]Based on your user name you might favor a Ferrari over a 911. Most of us here run plain ole' Shimano components.

QUOTE]

Shimano?
Don't they make fishing reels?

Craig
still running Campy 9 speed on several bikes and quite happy.

why would anyone complicate the simplistic beauty of a bicycle with electronic shifting?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

23K on my 09 C4S with PDK ; 5 track days and 3 Porsche club driving tours in the PNW; fuel pump replaced as part of campaign. No issues. Will be putting on newly arrived Pirelli winter tires on when temps drop some more. Our Aussie moved on 3 years ago and we still miss him. I love reading all of Gary's posts. Was in SB last weekend and came upon the fleet of 991's being readied for journalist write-ups now popping up on the 991 threads. Took a few pics.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:06 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seapar
23K on my 09 C4S with PDK ; 5 track days and 3 Porsche club driving tours in the PNW; fuel pump replaced as part of campaign. No issues. Will be putting on newly arrived Pirelli winter tires on when temps drop some more. Our Aussie moved on 3 years ago and we still miss him. I love reading all of Gary's posts. Was in SB last weekend and came upon the fleet of 991's being readied for journalist write-ups now popping up on the 991 threads. Took a few pics.
How many miles on your tires before replacement?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

09 C4S

PDK leaked oil, was replaced under warranty at 5000 miles or so

New gearbox went into limp mode after some spirited driving in Sport Plus

No other issues besides that
Old 11-11-2011, 04:40 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30K miles on '10 C4S. HPFP replaced by the dealer volunterely (I had no issues with it). I did not have to add any oil between oil changes. No soot coming from the exhaust, pipes are fairly clean. I have no issues with PDK, only because mine is a 6spd. I had a choice between a used .1 TT and brand new .2 4S for the same price.
.2 anyday!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Default Very reliable

I have 42,500 miles on mine. Purchased 8/09. 12 track events over 14 days and I daily drive it to and from work. The wife and I use it as our road trip car, too.
Never had to leave anything behind, either. Somehow the little car can pack away all of our stuff without issue. And, believe me... We can bring some crap.

The only items needing replacement were one windshield wiper motor and the HPFP campaign (engine had slight hesitation when cold and using light throttle, after replacement symptoms have not returned). Otherwise, the engine, transmission, clutch, suspension and everything else has been rock solid. I've never owned a car that I can drive this hard, have this much fun and then turn around and expect it to deliver reliability as this one has. It's still young but it's usability and reliability has been great. Love it.

[quote=Mark Harris;9012446
Holly shi#t....that was my 911th post! What better than a picture with my two favorite material objects in life.[/QUOTE]

Great pic! I love seeing these cars used in ways most people wouldn't expect. These cars really are more versatile than most think.

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Have an MY09 C4S PDK, my DD now with 47,500 mi. It is a dream...8/09 build date. Not one hiccup. Ultra reliable in my opinion, and a blast to drive, every second!
47.5k? You, Sir, are my hero. I thought I was doing pretty good at 42k.

Originally Posted by simsgw
Incidentally, all that business about oil consumption is fluff. Only three or four things on a modern engine cause it to consume more oil than the designers intended should be the case for an engine operating properly. And they aren't hard to spot in other ways. If none of those is wrong, then oil is just... well, a consumable just like gasoline, not a symptom.
That's exactly how I feel about it. IIRC, my manual allows consumption up to 1qt per 622 miles as normal. My car consumes a lot but less than that and there's been no sign of any oil related issues so, all is fine. Drive on!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
mambodoc
Pro

48,100 now ! I have not heard anything about a fuel pump replacement program. O well !? Now running Nitto Invo. On third set of rears and second set of fronts, OEM included. Change oil and filter every 3k.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Nice! I'm a 5k oil changer myself. Very easy to do on the 2009 and later engines. I wonder who has the highest mileage 997.2 car?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:38 AM
mambodoc
Pro

With meticulous care and maintenance...timeless beauty/style in design and engineering...what better car to drive?! High mileage enjoyment!...granted, I've had no problems to date and great dealership support if/when needed.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 AM
mambodoc
Pro

I should rephrase some part of my previous statement...I'm sure this vehicle would rock even without my "care and maintenance" statement. It's my choice to attend to detail. Based upon my experience...my C4S has been pretty much bulletproof.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Default not a 997.2 but a 987.2 but still...

Ok not a 997.2 but a gen 2 Cayman S (similar mechanical upgrades from the .1)

30k miles, 25 track days, winter driven DD.

So far:
1 water pump changed
1 burned tailight bulb
1 weird clunk in the front left suspension wrongfully diagnosed to faulty dampers, new dampers added problem still there

Recall on fuel pump, since then exhaust seems to leave small black speckles on rear bumper. Will get it checked next week along with the susp clunk.

Overall an amazingly reliable all-around sports car!!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

23000 miles and only two issues. The fuel pump recall, no real issue just replaced, and one of the horns. I'd call that a winner.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:13 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mambodoc
48,100 now ! I have not heard anything about a fuel pump replacement program. O well !? Now running Nitto Invo. On third set of rears and second set of fronts, OEM included. Change oil and filter every 3k.
For the OP: The fuel pump that keeps getting mentioned is not the traditional fuel pump all cars need. Those operate at relatively low pressure. Memory fails, but maybe two atmospheres. The one Porsche is replacing on 2009's is a second pump for DFI engines that lifts the fuel pressure high enough for it to injected into a cylinder when combustion already has begun. Depending on the operating mode, the engine computer commands one, two, or three injections of fuel and obviously the pressure in the cylinder must be overcome to force that fuel spray in at the correct stream velocity to atomize properly. That second pump operates at some much higher pressure. Surely six or seven atmospheres. That is, a hundred psi at least. I could research it, but we don't really care. The point is that it's a special unit for DFI purposes and supplemental to the basic fuel pump that shoves the fuel from the tank to the engine.

Some of the units provided by suppliers (or a single supplier perhaps?) early in the production run for the 997.2 did not raise the pressure high enough fast enough in all conditions. With no real information, my speculation would be that the third injection was the problem for some of those early fuel pumps. That one comes after the valves have closed and the pressure already has risen a great deal in the cylinder.

It's not a recall, Mambodoc, because it's not a safety issue, just a bit of a drivability nuisance. So a lot owners don't hear about it. Honestly, I just considered it part of the temperament one expects of a very high output engine, but it is pleasant to have it go away. Ask your dealer if your VIN number shows it is one of the cars that got a fuel pump from that early shipment. If it was, and probably if it's just possible and you complain of occasional issues at low speed, then they will put in one of the versions they began using shortly into the production run.

The work only takes a couple of hours. My dealer gave me a PDK Cab to test drive for as long as I liked and then shuttled me over to a local country club for lunch while they finished the job. Rough life, owning a Porsche.

Gary

Quick Reply: 2009 997 Reliability??