Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche eats caviar, we drive their time bombs. Vent. Long.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

If you can't decipher the difference between .5qt in 2400 miles and 1qt per 600 miles or more, than I'm afraid further discussion is not worth having.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I've added 1/2 qt in 2400 miles in the GTS. Each Carrera I've had I've had to top off from Time to time. I'm not an engineer but don't all internal combustion engines consume oil? Aren't boxer type engines naturally prone to oil consumption?
Yes to both. It is in fact the purpose of oil to be consumed. The harder the engine works, the more oil it needs to consume. And the harder the engine is designed to be worked, the higher the consumption level we consider normal.

Originally Posted by Waxer
Adding a little oil now and then never detracted from the enjoyment of owning and driving a great car. Was it supposed to?
It has been suggested that some people can't afford the extra five dollars after every other tankful. It also has been suggested that cheaper oils are to be had than Mobil One for those concerned. And cheaper cars. But no cheaper therapy than an ill-mannered keyboard.

427 Shelby, huh? Cobra or the recent Mustang incarnation? Either is a nice car. Good stable you're working on there, Waxer.

Gary
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you can't decipher the difference between .5qt in 2400 miles and 1qt per 600 miles or more, than I'm afraid further discussion is not worth having.
Three quarters of a cent per mile. Roughly $65 a year for the average owner and whoever you were quoting without a citation. And my own Carrera gets 1/2 qt per 18,000 miles normally. That means I could be spending $125 a year more if I burned that much in 180 miles. My goodness.

Sorry that matters. I'll quit bugging you about it.

Gary
Old 11-07-2011, 10:52 AM
jluff
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my 6th Porsche, beginning in the 70's. None have burned oil excessively. My 86 Targa with 150k on it burned none between oil changes (and no drips...). My 997S.2 burned a little bit when new but has dropped to insignificant loss at 9,000 miles. My 2001 Cab dripped from the RMS, but the dealer replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I can't get VW to admit the brakes on my Jetta are squealing...though by swapping pads the problem is immediately gone (the P dealer would have been more methodical i suspect). It may well be that the cars that burn higher amounts were not properly broken in, or have been driven hard (when cold?). Anecdotal griping is not very useful without more info about how the cars were treated.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 AM
SJSwanson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I suggest you do not infer what I think. FYI, my current car never used oil, and for that matter none of my previous 911s. Does your M97 engine use oil?

To those frustrated with PAG and their customer support, I suggest that they should move on to another brand, and stop wasting energy/sleep/anxiety over cars they no longer enjoy.
My 997.2 tt uses NO oil. I check it every fillup. My 2001 911 used NO oil during the 10 years I had it. My 1978 911 used (or leaked) about a quart every 2 to 3000 miles.

Just my experience.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
After I read the article below I had to think about what Porsche stands for, and I have to come to the conclusion that money and prestige are their motivating factors for building cars. It isn't about the buyers. After spending a considerable chunk of cash on what I thought was going to be a great worry-free performance car with, gosh, real German Engineering, I have to think to myself everytime I drive it, is today going to be the day? With no admission of guilt or support to M96 owners for faulty engineering Porsche just moves forward with newer models sweeping the mistakes under the rug. And if an older model goes boom, well, hey just buy a newer model, we're makin' more! How can an owner feel loyalty to a brand that basically screws the buyer? And damned be he with no warranty. Thanks for reading.

Porsche Said to Target Record Sales Next Year on 911 Revamp
(Updates with shares in sixth paragraph, comment from sales chief in eighth, detail on models in last.)
Oct. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Porsche AG, the maker of the Cayenne sport-utility vehicle, plans to sell a record 140,000 cars next year on demand for the next generation of the 911 and Boxster models, a person with knowledge of the matter said.
The Stuttgart, Germany-based carmaker aims to increase 2012 deliveries after selling 120,000 autos this year, the person said, declining to be identified discussing internal goals. Porsche, which sold 97,000 vehicles last year, said previously it would deliver “more than” 100,000 cars in 2011.
“The goal seems ambitious given the current economic framework but it's achievable,” said Daniel Schwarz, a Frankfurt-based Commerzbank AG analyst who recommends buying the stock. “Porsche is performing very solidly in key markets. A lot depends on how the new 911 will fare and how quickly they'll bring derivatives to market.”
Porsche, which aims to combine with Volkswagen, will begin selling the revamped version of the iconic 911 this December and plans to offer an updated Boxster model in the first half of 2012, the person said. Porsche and rival German luxury-car makers have thus far been immune to Europe's debt crisis.
September Sales Rise
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen AG's Audi all posted September sales advances and are targeting record deliveries in 2011. Porsche said yesterday that sales last month surged 38 percent to 10,560 vehicles on demand for the Cayenne SUV. Nine-month deliveries are up 31 percent.
Porsche dropped as much as 2.7 percent to 37.50 euros and was down 1.6 percent at 1:38 p.m. in Frankfurt trading, valuing the carmaker at 11.6 billion euros ($16 billion).
Porsche plans to increase production of the Cayenne, its best-selling model, by between 10 percent and 20 percent starting in January by adding a third shift at a factory in Leipzig, Germany, where the vehicle is produced. Porsche currently makes about 220 cars a day at the plant and has been unable to keep up with demand for the model.
“Even if economies happen to cool down somewhat, I'm very confident that we have a chance to keep growing next year thanks to our global presence and current product portfolio,” Porsche sales chief Bernhard Maier said in a Sept. 13 interview at the Frankfurt auto show.
Backed by VW, Porsche aims to double sales to at least 200,000 cars and SUVs by 2018. The carmaker will add a compact SUV and a limited series of the 918 Spyder hybrid sports car by 2013. Porsche's current models include 911, Boxster/Cayman, Panamera and Cayenne. Porsche may also develop a supercar positioned higher than the 237,600-euro 911 GT2 RS, its most expensive 911, Maier said.
--Editors: Chad Thomas, Heather Harris

Obama??? Is that you???
Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thread....must...die

Quick Reply: Porsche eats caviar, we drive their time bombs. Vent. Long.