Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luxury Car Reliability Rating... Porsche falls to 27th spot!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 2 dealers say there's a 2-3mo wait for the Porsche SUV. SO much for reliability ratings.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

While we're on the topic of the 2011 CR ratings, I was pretty happy to see that, of all the 997 model years, the 2007 came out on top BY FAR. The 2007 was ranked much better than average reliability in pretty almost all measurement categories, and it was the only 997 model year ranked much better than average overall. I certainly have nothing to complain about so far.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
my 2 dealers say there's a 2-3mo wait for the Porsche SUV. SO much for reliability ratings.
At the risk of being argumentative... how does a waiting list relate to reliability?

I'm not saying the Cayenne is or is not reliable but a product can still be in high demand even if it isn't reliable.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
While we're on the topic of the 2011 CR ratings, I was pretty happy to see that, of all the 997 model years, the 2007 came out on top BY FAR. The 2007 was ranked much better than average reliability in pretty almost all measurement categories, and it was the only 997 model year ranked much better than average overall. I certainly have nothing to complain about so far.
For the 911, The 2007 came out the best and the 2008 was similar in reliability. It changed, thought, with the 2009 MY. I would suspect the new fuel system problems and unfamiliarity new owners had with the new PDK as the cause. I am interested in what is happening with the Cayenne as I was planning to get a VW Touareg TDI as a daily driver to replace my 535.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
At the risk of being argumentative... how does a waiting list relate to reliability?

I'm not saying the Cayenne is or is not reliable but a product can still be in high demand even if it isn't reliable.
+1000...

I owned an Audi S4 (B5), it was definitely one of the least reliable cars and if you were not careful you could have thousands in repairs... BUT, I LOVED THAT CAR and I wouldn't have traded it for anything but, a 997 ... if someone reported that the reliability rating on my Audi B5 S4 was POOR, I WOULD NOT ARGUE WITH... Not sure why ppl take these things soooo personal and really get off tangent and completely irrational in these forums.

Honestly, I am SO TURNED OFF by all the non-sense posts and back and forth arguments on something as simple as statistics of users reporting issues across different cars?! its simple MATH folks, you can't freaking argue with it. Hence I am done participating.

Read the statistics, take whatever you take from it, and move on!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
what's the avatar boolala? totally compelling to me....
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I am fascinated too by this-much more exciting than anything in CR.
J
Yes 'tis a bit intriguing but it also reminds me (just a wee bit) of this kind of scene.

Boo Lala? Are you in there somewhere? Looks like a group of very satisfied men.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Like I said... who in his right mind considers CR's opinions?
911+

You have no doubt purposely pointed out the issue;

How many real "car guys" read or respond to CU requests for data?

This is for the "had a good beat and was easy to dance to" crowd.

FWIW, I had a 2011 CTT and it was a wonderful car. Ate a bit of oil for the first 10K but after that it tightened up. Faster than stink and 25 MPG while cruising at 75.

No one from CU ever contacted me...

I've glossed CR from time to time but it seems to me that all too frequently when they report on something I know a great deal about I do NOT agree with their derivations.

Whatever...
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vexed
I am a long time CR subscriber and get the auto survey and other surveys every year. I don't always complete them but they are for actual repairs not did the dealer tell you how to do xyz. I do consider their information useful and often relevant, their review of the 997.1 was not much of a factor in my purchase decision but if they had noted some glaring issue I would have tried to validate or eliminate their concern.

The most recent data as noted in many posts above is due to some teething problems with the new Cayenne. Not the 997. And I have read more than one post here to the effect that someone is not going to buy a new 991 to avoid any new model issues.
This demonstrates a "sampling bias" and illustrates more of exactly what Gary was talking about.

Now it's OK to use the data, but you must take into account both the strength and weakness of the sampling.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boolala
I'll answer that one for you: since it's a relative scale this would apply to all vehicle makes as well. The discontents across all brands should even this out and not effect the relative rankings.

For those who would claim that luxury car owners would tend to be more demanding because they spend more money I would counter that, as a percentage of yearly income, the "lower tier" consumer is likely more affected by a bad purchace decision that the upper income group.
Boo, I would strongly disagree. You've just stated that there is a uniformity of "luxury car buyers" and I would contend (and I trust many others would too) that no such uniformity exists.

In fact, betcha a nickel they are as diverse as the cars they buy. It's the low end consumers that are far more likely to be more uniform by my guess.

But, it's only a guess and only data would answer this question. Data which no one really wants to collect.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:34 AM
boolala
Race Car

I didn't say that there was a "uniformity" of luxury car buyers (or didn't mean to imply that). What I do counter is the suggestion that luxury car buyers are (in general) more demanding of their vechicles simply because they paid more money. It's the people who are claiming that this is true that are making the case for "uniformity," not me. If some are and some are not and this reflects a lack of "uniformity" then I suggest the same would apply to the lower income segment as well. These effects should even out and not not be reflective of any relative rankings.

My main point is that if you percieve these rankings to be "innacurate" you should not, on the one hand, "celebrate" the acheivement of a high ranking and then critisize the methodology when it is not in your favor. It's a matter of consistency.

Finally I'm not influenced by CR rankings either for that matter. If I was concerned about reliability over performance, aethetics etc I would be driving a Toyota instead.

Quick Reply: Luxury Car Reliability Rating... Porsche falls to 27th spot!