Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardwiring V1 and video to auto-dim mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwiring V1 and video to auto-dim mirror?

I have a little video device stuck to the windshield in front of the mirror, and a V1 on the passenger's sun visor. That means two annoying wires and plugs. I am thinking of going to a shop and having them tap into the power in my auto dimming mirror, and attach the 12v wires that go to each device, but only long enough to reach their spots (5" for the video, 15" for the V1). I like where they are, and don't want to do the mirror-mount V1. But I have a few questions someone might have answers to:

(1) Would these draw too much power?

(2) Any recommendation for a shop in Los Angeles area to do this sort of thing?

(3) Should I be worried about someone messing this up, or is it pretty simple to get the plastic parts back together?

Thanks in advance for thoughts/suggestions.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

An alternative would be to get the power from the fuse box and run the wires up along the edge of the windshield post and headliner. I used the Bussman product below for the positive connection.

Amazon Amazon

The ground can easily be obtained from a fuse box mounting screw where it connects to the body.
Edgy01 did a good write up of how he hardwired his V-1 this way . . . along with the V-1 remote units below the PCM. Works great !

Dave
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Thanks Dave. I'll look into that option as well (and Edgy's posting). I can see the advantage of having the remote display below the PCM -- I'm always wondering if LEO see the red display and might latch on to me for that reason alone.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I would suggest bringing power up there from the fuse box. It's easier than you can imagine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tallation.html
Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I get my 12v for a radar detector from the celing console light power, wont draw excess power unless you have a abnormal device you are trying to hook up
Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I get my 12v for a radar detector from the celing console light power, wont draw excess power unless you have a abnormal device you are trying to hook up
Power to the ceiling console light isn't switched, is it? I find having to remember to turn the detector on and off a PITA. That's why locating a switched source in the fuse box is a great solution.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 AM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Thanks guys for the good suggestions. And Dan, thanks also for surfacing your prior description of the install down to the fuse box. I will explore that option.

Quick Reply: Hardwiring V1 and video to auto-dim mirror?