Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:03 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boisenelson
My perspective from all options. I own 3 Pcars......one Tip with buttons, one 6 speed manual, and one PDK with paddle shifters. I am not fond of the buttons because of the thumb "up/down" shift. In spirited driving I've lost my hand position on the wheel and not been able to grab the gear I wanted. I love the manual and running through the gears with the exception of every day driving. My last straw was on my way to work with my favorite thermal mug full of hot coffee....between my legs (because the cup holders suck) and on a steep incline....traffic moves, clutch out and zoom forward....coffee all over my white dress shirt. In my crotch too so my day is ruined and I have to go back home and change. Now to the PDK with paddle shifters....for me the perfect compromise. Again, this is MY opinion and works for me, and I realize many others may feel differently. I love the fact that I can drive in "auto" in traffic and switch to auto/manual with the paddle shifters when I want to drive aggressively. The paddle shifters are dedicated to up on one side and down shifting on the other which is intuitive (for me) and adds to my driving enjoyment. I recently did an 800 mile road trip through 4 states in my 997.2 TT (PDK) and used the paddles on canyon drives and "overtaking" on the open roads. I'm a fan

I am very pleased with my buttons in TIP S (997 S + Chrono Sport).
For me this is the only choice. True, it takes time to get used to it - especially on a racetrack.
But, I only drive in manual mode and it is very comfortable and feels natural after you get used to it.
Today, I do not think about transmission - I do everything automatic and always my hands on the steering wheel.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
A couple of months? Check with these guys first. They do mostly core exchanges but I've heard they sometimes have wheels to sell without an exchange. And if it's not built yet you can customize too:

http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_2.html

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm
The dealer would not budge on the price of this used car. But they said they would include a steering wheel with paddle shifters as part of the sale than can be installed later.

So it's pretty simple:

1) Buy the car as is for the asking price, get the paddle shifters included on the sales contract and then play the waiting game.
2) Don't buy the car and look for something else.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
The dealer would not budge on the price of this used car. But they said they would include a steering wheel with paddle shifters as part of the sale than can be installed later.

So it's pretty simple:

1) Buy the car as is for the asking price, get the paddle shifters included on the sales contract and then play the waiting game.
2) Don't buy the car and look for something else.
Well that sounds fair as long as you're happy with their promise of the paddle wheel in writing as part of the contract.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
GTS and Turbo S come standard with paddle shifters....

At the track the problem with the push/pull buttons is the inside of your hand near your thumb can cause an upshift when you do not want it. With the paddles there are no accidental bumping of the push/pull buttons. Accidental upshifts in track conditions and even autocross was brought up in an Excellence magazine interview with Walter Rohl.
I participated in an autocross event yesterday with my "newish to me" 2010 997.2 C2S which is presently equipped with the default thumb shifter steering wheel and this was a problem more than once where I accidentally upshifted while in a bumpy turn. It was annoying for sure. Of course accidental upshifts are better than accidental downshifts. I guess it could have been worse. Other than that the 997 was fun to autocross, though it was fairly evident that the car to have at the event was the GT4.

Last edited by My993C2; 08-20-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. I had no idea that so many people loved the buttons. They drove me mad, even when I held the wheel gently at 9 and 3 etc with thumbs out and so forth and so on. I couldn’t get on with them at all. I ordered the 991.1 paddle shift wheel and I use the paddles every time I drive my 997.2. They’re similar to every other PDK/DSG set up I’ve ever driven (my wife has a DSG equipped GTI with tiny flaps on the back of the spokes…), so I don’t find them ‘unintuitive’. It’s a bit like a manual with an H pattern: first is left and up, second is left and back, unless it’s a dog leg (now that would be unintuitive…) as we all learned on a standard H pattern, which even works when you have more than 4 gears…. 5, 6 and 7. They are all where you expect them to be.Anyway, this wasn’t my first experience with steering wheel buttons: we had them on an Audi A8 4.2 quattro once. Small actual up/down buttons (like buttons for electric windows) on the horizontal spokes. They were truly awful, and I used the gear lever instead. The Porsche buttons were marginally better, but the standard was already set. And at least in my Porsche the paddles are connected to the wheel, so I can still change down with my left hand, wherever the steering wheel is … imagine if you had to remember that the paddle was still attached to the car in the corner? Ah, crap.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

One significant disadvantage of getting paddles. You lose the heated steering wheel. It's a great thing for cold track days with the window down.....
Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Personal preferences. I don't like the buttons and don't really care for the paddles either but take them over the buttons. My gripe with the paddles is that the throw is too long. Didn't realize this until I had a Benz rental with paddles a while back. Much shorter and crisper. Porsche can really take a lesson from Benz on this imo. So I use the gear lever all the time instead of the paddles on the GTS. Brings it back closer to the manual feel, especially in sport plus mode which is where I spend almost all of of my time. Right hand where it always used to be, insanely quick shifts and loving it. For those who absolutely have to press that 3rd pedal and move the gear lever in the H pattern to be happy then it still won't do. I understand.

I've become aware that not all Porsche Sport Design steering wheels with paddles are the same. 2.5 years ago I bought a new Sport Design PDK wheel for my GTS from suncoast. Enjoyed using it, no issues. Then a few weeks ago I got a 987.2 S to daily and needed to get a Sport Design PDK wheel for it as well, went back to suncoast and found they have Alcantara Sport Design PDK wheels on sale, bought one for $900. This more recent wheel came with lights in it for Sport Chrono and Launch control.. the paddle action is different on this one than my other relatively new PDK wheel. The throw is slightly shorter and the feeling at the end of the throw where the shift is actually engaged is more subtle.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I've become aware that not all Porsche Sport Design steering wheels with paddles are the same. 2.5 years ago I bought a new Sport Design PDK wheel for my GTS from suncoast. Enjoyed using it, no issues. Then a few weeks ago I got a 987.2 S to daily and needed to get a Sport Design PDK wheel for it as well, went back to suncoast and found they have Alcantara Sport Design PDK wheels on sale, bought one for $900. This more recent wheel came with lights in it for Sport Chrono and Launch control.. the paddle action is different on this one than my other relatively new PDK wheel. The throw is slightly shorter and the feeling at the end of the throw where the shift is actually engaged is more subtle.
Interesting although "slightly shorter" still wouldn't make up the shortfall imo. On my second PDK 997 now and they've both been the same. Had another Benz rental with paddles a couple of months ago and was again impressed by how much better they feel compared to ours. I don't have exact measurements here of course but impression wise it feels like the 997 paddle throw is about 1" and the Benz throw maybe 1/4". Very short and crisp. Just the right feel.

As I think I've said before, the paddle action isn't really important to me since I like the feel of the gear lever in sport plus manual the best anyway. Just don't understand why Porsche has kept the sloppy feel in the paddles while other brands have done so much better even in their family sedan models.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 AM
johzev
Rennlist Member

As a stroke victim, left side paralysis, buttons are a gift and allow me to shift with right hand. One of the small joys in my post stroke life until I can gain use of left hand/arm and left leg for clutch.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

The shift "buttons" get a lot of hate but they really aren't a bad idea. The idea is that you leave your hands in the ideal position on the steering and you don't even need to move your hand to shift... you just flinch your index finger towards you to downshift or push your thumb forward to upshift... all without changing your grip on the steering wheel. It's actually a pretty good idea.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:28 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crester
The shift "buttons" get a lot of hate but they really aren't a bad idea. The idea is that you leave your hands in the ideal position on the steering and you don't even need to move your hand to shift... you just flinch your index finger towards you to downshift or push your thumb forward to upshift... all without changing your grip on the steering wheel. It's actually a pretty good idea.
It might be good for normal driving on the public roads. But when I was doing the autocross event last weekend driving the car close the limit in a corner, then when hitting a bump in the road mid corner my thumb would accidentally move and the result was an unwanted, unintended upshift with my hands in the proper 9-3 position. No, I do not like these thumb shifters. They may make driving easier for people like johzev, but for me I dislike them and I cannot wait for the paddle shifter equipped wheel (which was supposedly ordered by the dealer) to arrive.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

After driving both, I prefer the paddles because it's much less likely to shift by accident.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:06 PM
997v2cabrio
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently decided to purchase the leather paddle shifter wheel from Suncoast, and the LED interior and license plate lights to modernize my '09 PDK 997.2. After installing everything, I fell even more in love with my car. The new steering wheel looks like the newer cars, and shifts how I feel is natural. Pulling on the paddles to shift feels better feed back from the car compared to my old button wheel.

Quick Reply: Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?