Sponsored by:

Noise in clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 AM
chuckla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in clutch?

When I depress the clutch pedal, I feel and hear a dull click-like sound. This is heard in the first one-third of the push down, and there are no other symptoms. That is, no grabbing etc. Anyone have an idea of what this is and whether it requires immediate attention?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Micro-switch for the clutch/start function????
Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

do you hear it outside or inside the car?

for a few weeks right after i had mine replaced, i would hear a click outside my window, seemingly from underneath the car when i pressed clutch in the first time after initial start up. havent heard it in a while tho and not even sure what it was.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckla
When I depress the clutch pedal, I feel and hear a dull click-like sound. This is heard in the first one-third of the push down, and there are no other symptoms. That is, no grabbing etc. Anyone have an idea of what this is and whether it requires immediate attention?
if it is clutch bearing going to die you`ll feel a vibration on a pedal and/or some weird sounds a dieing bearing does. it is annoying but not overly critical.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM
jason74
Instructor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
if it is clutch bearing going to die you`ll feel a vibration on a pedal and/or some weird sounds a dieing bearing does. it is annoying but not overly critical.
Can you further describe this noise? My C2 intermittently makes a squealing type noise with clutch engagement. Worse when warm and hard to reproduce. I can't tell if it's from front or back. Car drives fine, there is no slippage with clutch tests described on this board. 32k miles
Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 AM
chuckla
Racer

There is no vibration, no squealing and no slipping. Before yesterday (when this thing started), I depressed the clutch and the action was smooth and soundless. Now, I begin the push down and feel and hear what I can only call a click (that is, an audible sound like but not precisely a click) just below the point at which I begin engaging the clutch-this only happens when I am driving and not when the engine is off. Nothing is heard or felt after that happens either the rest of the way down or as the pedal rises to its return position. I have never experienced anything like this in this or any other manual car that I have driven over many years. Have a call into my service guy but would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

yep, i had same crap with mine, then it stopped. if it whistles/whines when you depress clutch - that is it. it is difficult to mix wioth anything else. it was a high pitch whistle at 50% or so depressed pedal accompanied with vibration on a pedal. I was fightinng a dealer to open it up for inspection for free, but when i finally almost won that fight stupid bearing went silent.

when my clutch was finally replaced 2 weeks ago we saw that bearing was almost completely worn out. you probably have 10-25K miles of live in your clutch left at least if you will not abuse it, when time will come bearing gets replaced durinng clutch job.

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
jason74
Instructor

That sounds like mine. It is when I am releasing the peddle that I get the 'squeal'. It is a little worse if I'm going up a hill when I engage it, meaning it lasts slightly longer. I suppose the bearing is not a warranty issue and will be changed when clutch is done...

Re: the clicking noise, mine also has something like that. I relate it to a switch of some sorts, like the switch that deactivates the cruise control, or allows engine to start with clutch depressed. It is barely noticable when motor off and not noticeable when motor or radio on d/t background noise. Just a guess from me.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Mileage on the car?

Can you easily access another similar model and try it out at your nearest Porsche dealer?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason74
Can you further describe this noise? My C2 intermittently makes a squealing type noise with clutch engagement. Worse when warm and hard to reproduce. I can't tell if it's from front or back. Car drives fine, there is no slippage with clutch tests described on this board. 32k miles
I had the same noise (creak/squeak) while pushing clutch in and when coming out. Sound clearly coming from the rear. Very loud and sounded like it was external. Only when car was warm. No other symptoms. 40,000 miles.

Dealer said they located the sound and that it was internal. They opened it up and said the pressure plate was shot so they replaced the clutch assembly. $2200.

A month later the noise was back.

I went to an indy and they said they know exactly what the issue is. There is a plastic ball/fitting in the clutch linkage that develops a burr. They disassemble and sand the burr and re-grease. $250. I'll do that soon.

Quick Reply: Noise in clutch?