Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GTS Cab or wait for the 991 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011 | 11:59 AM
mbg
Intermediate

Default 997 GTS Cab or wait for the 991 Cab

Need some advice please: I am after a 911 cab. Really like the GTS and what it represents- in manual with alcantara sports steering wheel and short-shifter manual it seems a tactile drivers car that is just what I'm after.

If anyone has any strong views either way about whether they feel it's better to go for the 997 gts cab or wait for the 991 cab, would be keen to hear your thoughts.

many thanks in advance

mbg
Old 10-13-2011 | 12:12 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Welcome! There are so many variables and in the end only YOU can decide what is best for you.

GTS - that is one sweet ride - I don't know of many who would dispute that. It's not the ultimate 997 (that would be the GT3 RS 4.0), but it is verrrrry nice.

The 991 draws rave reviews by most who have driven it, but there are some subtle hints that it is not the same driving experience - the newest Automobile Magazine article, for example, quotes Walter Rohrl saying he cannot induce the classic 911 oversteer in the 991, even in 1st gear.
Old 10-13-2011 | 12:53 PM
2Utes
Track Day

I love our GTS. Love the looks, the ride (better than the 2002 C4S), the interior. I am sure the 991 will be an excellent car as well. So like others have said, your choice.
It took a few years, but I finally realized someone will always have more of something than I do. So I get what I really can afford to enjoy and forget about the next shiny thing being better in some small regard that does not really matter to the majority of driving time.
In the end, it is a wonderful choice to be able to make. You really can't lose with either in my view.
Old 10-13-2011 | 02:44 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

i know someone who has driven the 991. He is long time porsche guy and works for the company. He has also raced porsches for the past 30years. He said the 991 is totally different car than the 997. It is bigger and lighter. The ride is much better and it is a bit faster with slightly tighter handling. He said the interior is a big improvement in looks and comfort. Overall, he said the new 991 makes for a much better everyday car but still retains the sound, handling and steering feel that makes a porsche a porsche.
Old 10-13-2011 | 03:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Do you want a car now, or are you willing to wait 18 months for a cabriolet in 991 form?

I would go with the proven car--the 997 GTS Cabriolet. It will wind up as a special car, while an early 991 cab will have bugs--they always do.
Old 10-13-2011 | 05:25 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

I was in your situation about 3 weeks ago, I finally decided that the best thing for me was to go with the 997 GTS, firstly its a beautifully well put together car. This is the best of the 997 (IMHO) and I really got a decent deal. I don't have to worry about being a 1st generation 991 with all the new platform issues. Again, I know others may disagree but this is my opinion.

I cannot attest to the how the 991 drives but I really like the solid feel of my GTS. Albeit mine is not a cab. I didn't want to have to wait into year 2 or 3 for the 991 to be completely sorted out. In addition Porsches are classic cars when it comes to 911s (except maybe the 996 again, IHMO).

Either way I don't think you can go wrong but why wait? and pay a more for something that you can get at a better deal and NOW!

If you really want the 991 you may lease the 997 GTS for a year or two then get the 991!

Either way I think you can't go wrong.
Old 10-13-2011 | 07:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Can't imagine Porsche not putting out to market a car that performs great. I expect the 991 to be a great car.

However, I opted for the GTS for many reasons. In my mind it is in the 997 GT category right below the GT3. Hence it's moniker "GTS". It is the ulimate 997 that still has a greater bias for the street then track. Case in point...the back seat was an option in the GTS. Once you put the 3 after the GT its bias is more toward track then street. I think it is destined to be one of the more highly sought after 997s in years to come. It has all the imiprovements and upgrades the Carrera should have had from the start and was manufactured in limited numbers. I'd bet production is also probably done at this time.

The 991 while likely to be great has stepped over the line into the Grand Tourer car realm it seems.. ala Aston and Jag with it's increase in wheelbase, length, width, lower height and Panamera interior (my main objection). The 997 series is still in the sports car genre' and maintains that classic Porsche short wheelbase and classic upright stance.

Newer isn't always better in every single sense. Just think of the guy who traded his new 356 for the new 1965 Carrera or the guy who traded his 63 split window Vette for the '64 because of the then criticism over the "split" in the window. Ooops.

Go with your gut.

I bought my GTS and love it, love it, love it. If find excuses to go out and drive it or just start it up and listen to it. I have had multiple Carreras going back to the first 996. The GTS is by far and away the best and the most enjoyable to drive. Wonderful, wonderful car.
Old 10-13-2011 | 07:36 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

One big arguement for the GTS is that no can never beat the here and now. The 991 means waiting and tommorow is never a certainty.
Old 10-13-2011 | 07:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I'd get a very lightly used GTS (some are already on Porsche website) at a bit of a discount... 991 will be produced in MASSES and has many unknowns, including the electrical steering, and is much less fun, even according to Porsche test drivers and engineers (cannot slide the car anymore for instance, even if you tried!)...

Also, GTS is probably the LAST TRUE 911 you can buy, and has been produced in smaller quantities, and to me, has a much better interior (specially if it's speced right - for instance can no longer get painted or Carbon Fibre center console). No one knows, but if 991 disappoints, the 997 will keep more of its value similar to how 993 did after 996 disappointed!
Old 10-13-2011 | 07:48 PM
ph997
Intermediate

Not much to add. 991 will likely be a great car. My GTS is the second P-car I've had. Prior was an '05 C2. The GTS is so much better in every respect and my first cab. As one of their new commercials depicts, when I get in after a tough day at work, it truly is an escape vehicle.

For me, if the 991 comes in strong, something to consider in a few years. Right now I have the best car I could get.
Old 10-13-2011 | 07:52 PM
mbg
Intermediate

thanks for responses guys, much appreciated. My gut is telling me to go with the GTS, as many of you are directing also. Edgy01- NO, I don't want to wait for 18 months either!

Many thanks for the feedback. I think it is GTS time..
Old 10-13-2011 | 11:28 PM
docfink
Pro

Originally Posted by scycle2020
i know someone who has driven the 991. He is long time porsche guy and works for the company. He has also raced porsches for the past 30years. He said the 991 is totally different car than the 997. It is bigger and lighter. The ride is much better and it is a bit faster with slightly tighter handling. He said the interior is a big improvement in looks and comfort. Overall, he said the new 991 makes for a much better everyday car but still retains the sound, handling and steering feel that makes a porsche a porsche.
Wow--I haven't seen a write-up like that one, yet. If that's the gist of every review, it looks like the value of our 997s will drop worse than the 996s...Time to save my pennies, I guess (or at least wait until a test drive).
Old 10-14-2011 | 05:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I expect the reviews on 991 to be great especially from Company insiders.

There is no doubt the 991 will be a great car. There is no doubt it will raise the performance bar. After all they had the 997 as the measuring stick. Question is whether it loses something in the transformation. The 997 is likely the last of the true short wheelbase upright 911's true to the original formula. Last of the Mohicans.

The 997 is a superior car to the 993 or the 911's from the 60's and 70's but how many of us still lust for one of the old school 911s?

Get my drift.
Old 10-15-2011 | 01:12 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

I got a GTS recently, but saw the interior pics of the 991with ebrake, and interior said that just isn't for me...maybe a I will change my mind some day...but for now GTS.
Old 10-15-2011 | 01:49 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

If you have a nice car now, I would wait. The 991 is faster, lighter and handles better. When it comes out and you don't like it, you could always buy a lightly used GTS for much less. The GTS is awesome but my sense is that the 991 will be better. People claiming that the GTS is a limited run, I seriously think that will have zero effect. 997.1 GT3RS is limited and they are close to half their MSRP 4 years later. No recent Porsche, Carrera GT aside, will retain value. All Porsches depreciate, especially when something better comes along. Let's not get nostalgic over a car

Quick Reply: 997 GTS Cab or wait for the 991 Cab