Sponsored by:

Launch Control and its hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Carrera Jack
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch Control and its hesitation

hi guys, just last friday, my car (997 GTS) has reached that break-in period as recommended by Porsche and have oil changed. Everything was fine and during the weekend, me and my friend went to have a blast with my GTS. And boy..... we had lots of fun!!!

But, when I tried the launch control, it is weird.... Everytime I tried to launch the car, there is a 1 or 2 seconds delay after I released the brake. I thought I did something wrong in the procedure so I checked the manual, and I didn't. Press Sport Plus botton. Press the brake with your left foot, hit the gas all the way to the kick down point, at this momoent I heard the beep and says "Launch Control Active" and I let go the brake. I got this 1 or 2 second of delay..... Up til now I've tried three times and they all have same result of hesitation so I gave up... I have reviewed several youtubes and didn't see anything like that, did I do something wrong????

Is this normal, has anyone experienced what I have?????

I have searched the forum before I post and don't want to get into the debate of "You shouldn't launch control the car like that...." I'm the kind of guy that spent this much money and expect to see the car perfom as Porsche has claimed.

I also wonder if there is something wrong with my car???? 0 to 100km/hr clocked at 4.96 sec (Porsche claimed 4.2 sec.)????
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Sounds like something is wrong. That's a very slow time too. I haven't done very many launches. But they worked. It's kind of a weird process. Got to keep the gas pedal floored. It's weird having both pedals fully depressed. Did you keep the gas pedal all the way down throughout the entire process?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I launch all the time. First thing, make sure you are in a safe place. At launch your car sometimes goes off line a little. You also want to make sure your tires are warmed up.

The PSM hangs the car up a little. It may seem like a long time but it's not. Shut off your PSM and do your launch. Let the car shift. Keep the throttle to the floor. Be very deliberate in your actions. Put psm back of after.Make sure you're in sport plus.

There's nothing wrong with your car. Practise until your rears go bald then replace and repeat again.

Attached pic is from C&D.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott997
I launch all the time. First thing, make sure you are in a safe place. At launch your car sometimes goes off line a little. You also want to make sure your tires are warmed up.

The PSM hangs the car up a little. It may seem like a long time but it's not. Shut off your PSM and do your launch. Let the car shift. Keep the throttle to the floor. Be very deliberate in your actions. Put psm back of after.Make sure you're in sport plus.

There's nothing wrong with your car. Practise until your rears go bald then replace and repeat again.

Attached pic is from C&D.
Nice little tutorial...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Carrera Jack
AutoX

Originally Posted by rodsky
Sounds like something is wrong. That's a very slow time too. I haven't done very many launches. But they worked. It's kind of a weird process. Got to keep the gas pedal floored. It's weird having both pedals fully depressed. Did you keep the gas pedal all the way down throughout the entire process?
Yes I did, all the way until I've reached over 1/4 miles.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Carrera Jack
AutoX

Hey guys, thanks for your help. Especially for Scott997 of posting an instruction from C&D. I went and tried three runs again after I read your post. The good news is that having PSM On or Off doesn't effect the launch control, I did 4.45s, 4.61s and 4.48s of 0-100km/h. I guess heavy driver (172lbs), hot weather (87F), and cool tires and others(???)... contribute to these results.

But, all three runs have the same "hesitation" after I released the brake. I also found the harder the brake pressed, the longer the hesitation. I guess I have to find the precise position of the brake to have a "perfect" launch????

Also, my engine only revs to about 4500rpm instead 6500rpm as mentoned in the manual or C&D. This is again I don't understand at all???

Anyone has any experience like I have?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Remind me not to buy your car when it comes up on the used market.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Jack
Also, my engine only revs to about 4500rpm instead 6500rpm as mentoned in the manual or C&D. This is again I don't understand at all???
Don't know about the hesitation part, but the fact that your launch comes at 4500rpm instead of 6500 is in itself an issue and no doubt part of the reason your times aren't all that great. That said, I've had my C2S for 2 years and never used launch control. All due respect, but I agree with Dan's (Edgy) comment above.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Remind me not to buy your car when it comes up on the used market.
Ditto
Old 10-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PSM does effect the launch.

When you lift of the brake make sure its very quick.

When someone is asking about launch why do you guys jump in and bust *****? You fellas may have fun washing your cars, I have fun beating on mine, then washing them. Get over yourselves. Its worth the same at the end of the day.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scott997
You fellas may have fun washing your cars....... Get over yourselves.
So THAT's the way one expresses a contrary opinion or disapproval. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't know about the hesitation part, but the fact that your launch comes at 4500rpm instead of 6500 is in itself an issue and no doubt part of the reason your times aren't all that great. That said, I've had my C2S for 2 years and never used launch control. All due respect, but I agree with Dan's (Edgy) comment above.
I thought I was the only 997.2 PDK owner who had never used his launch control. Just don't feel the need to punish to car just for the fun of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
I thought I was the only 997.2 PDK owner who had never used his launch control. Just don't feel the need to punish to car just for the fun of it.
Well there are at least two of us! As you can see from my sig photo I don't baby the car, but I've had no reason or occasion to use LC.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Well there are at least two of us! As you can see from my sig photo I don't baby the car, but I've had no reason or occasion to use LC.
Yep, exactly.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Can't help you with your question, but do have one of my own to the no-LC crowd here: Why? Does using LC stresses a car far more so than tracking it? Or is it improper use of LC that the next owner should be concerned about? In that case, I would stay clear from buying any PDK car.

Quick Reply: Launch Control and its hesitation