Sponsored by:

disgusted 997.2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The dealership is then taking a risk. There are very limited occasions when a customer should be allowed on the shop floor (i.e. major issues that need to be seen to be believed). Its no secret that a shop floor is a dangerous place, and no dealer with a worthwhile management staff would let a customer look over a tech's shoulders as he or she performed a service.
Time to return the favor, Quadcammer. You're right; I've never been to a dealership's service area that was not posted to prevent non-service personel from entering the area. To do otherwise would be a huge liability that no dealer in their right mind should allow. That said, it is possible to watch from a distance depending on the layout of the shop (my dealer has a big window in their waiting area) and on occasion I've come in for a closer inspection. But to allow customers to look over the mechanic's shoulder as a matter of course is bad business practice and simply unsafe, IMO.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

1. How are you determining the "rank" of your dealership? What evidence do you have to support these conclusions?

2. The dealership is then taking a risk. There are very limited occasions when a customer should be allowed on the shop floor (i.e. major issues that need to be seen to be believed). Its no secret that a shop floor is a dangerous place, and no dealer with a worthwhile management staff would let a customer look over a tech's shoulders as he or she performed a service.

Lets say, for whatever reason, a lift fails or a tire bead explodes. The customer who was standing there looking for scratches and then he ends up owning the dealership after the massive lawsuit.

Not to mention, I have heard from techs that having someone watching over their shoulder asking endless questions or giving them dirty looks every time a wrench clanks on something is the most annoying and unproductive thing possible.
I know from experience that everything you mention are definite issues. I learned years ago how and when to approach the car. Generally when the tech walks away to get a tool or check something on the computer I'll ask if I can take a peak. I also do not scrutinize, ask endless questions or glare, I simply look around the garage, other cars and will occasionally take a peak at my car.

Using this approach I've found that the service guys will actually call me over to look at something or show me something when its convenient. This has been my experience, YMMV.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
I won't even take it back now. Whenever I do, it's two steps back for every one step forward. I will be selling it before the next oil change.

disgusted...
i know such a feeling and if a single scratch bothers you so much - sell the car and save your nerves.
it will be dy when you`ll get a real dent. or a crazy kid will bump into your car with his bycicle. or shopping cart will hit it. or you`ll drop a wrench yourself on a hood. stuff happens and it is just a car. it is not worth to waste your nerves all over it.

also, oil change at a dealer? if you want your car to be perfect - no one can any job better than you as no one will ever care about your property more than yourself. it would be silly to expect otherwise, it just not going to happen. dealerships hire cheap labor, that is how all world runs now. and cheap labor does not give a crap about your values.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My story about the OKC dealer is this. When I was shopping for a car about 9 to 10 months ago, I talked to a sales guy about a '09 C2S they had for sale with less than 5K miles on it. In discussions, the guy proudly informed me that it was lightly used by the owner's wife and a "really nice car" akin to the proverbial car driven by the little old lady to church. When I started asking him about maintenance records, he let slip that the clutch had to be replaced, apparently because that wife did not know how to drive with a clutch. I asked if they would give me a dme scan, and the answer was "No" with the excuse that it cost too much. I asked if they would CPO the car, and again the answer was "No." Too many red flags for me, so I walked.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 217 Posts

1. How are you determining the "rank" of your dealership? What evidence do you have to support these conclusions?

2. The dealership is then taking a risk. There are very limited occasions when a customer should be allowed on the shop floor (i.e. major issues that need to be seen to be believed). Its no secret that a shop floor is a dangerous place, and no dealer with a worthwhile management staff would let a customer look over a tech's shoulders as he or she performed a service.

Lets say, for whatever reason, a lift fails or a tire bead explodes. The customer who was standing there looking for scratches and then he ends up owning the dealership after the massive lawsuit.

Not to mention, I have heard from techs that having someone watching over their shoulder asking endless questions or giving them dirty looks every time a wrench clanks on something is the most annoying and unproductive thing possible.
1) Top 1 or 2 in US Sales, Top 1 in US Customer Satisfaction. Being 10 miles from PCNA HQ does not hurt I'm sure.

2) You are correct, they are accepting the risk. I never said that clients look over the shoulder of the tech as he does his work - and neither did you in your first post. At the last customer party, we spent 20-30 minutes with a rep crawling under a lift looking at the Carrera GT getting some surgery. Granted, I'm not there often but its very common to poke around the service area discussing cars or showing a needed service item. It is an accepted risk, and does not automatically make a dealership a poor or stupid one.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I never said that clients look over the shoulder of the tech as he does his work
if I am not mistaken dealer i had to deal with had an option for this 'customer supervision' for additional ($50 or so) hourly rate.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
if I am not mistaken dealer i had to deal with had an option for this 'customer supervision' for additional ($50 or so) hourly rate.
Hahaha, that's awesome.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership I now use has no problem with me viewing the shop floor. Also on my first visit I was introduced to the tech who was going to be working on my car. Every member of their staff has been willing to take time to explain some feature of the car or give me advice on running it at the track. They also book me in within a couple of days and give me a Mercedes loan car if I need it. I've spent a lot of money with this business.

I had a conversation with a gentleman who owns a car dealership and he advised to always be clear and specific about the kind of service you want to receive. I wouldn't expect to have to tell a service manager to return my car without scratches and dents, but it seems like that's what the OP has to do in his case.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

The last time I took my car to the stealership they washed it without asking me. When I got the car back they had cracked off the upper part of the "C" of the Carrera script on the back. I noticed it with in 10 seconds of them driving up the car. I had to hound them for a month with weekly phone calls. They finally gave me a new one. I definitely did not let them put it on the car. I can guarantee they would put it off center and crooked.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My dealership is one of the top 1-2 dealerships in the country an they have me in the service area all the time. I think your "dropped the ball" comment is ill-informed at best.
Here too. At both dealerships I've used. I was wondering if it's just a California thing, but clearly they extend that courtesy in Georgia also.

Incidentally, for the skeptics: they stop work to show me what's going on with my car. They don't operate power tools around a customer and they keep their attention on the visiting customer who might back into the lift in an adjacent service bay or any of several other mistakes. I don't know if they've worked out these procedures particularly for Porsche customers with their insurance carrier or if it's standard practice. But I do remember going into the service area with all our other cars as well.

Gary
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,036 Likes on 734 Posts

Granted, I'm not there often but its very common to poke around the service area discussing cars or showing a needed service item. It is an accepted risk, and does not automatically make a dealership a poor or stupid one.
Same with mine. Pretty much an open door policy in the service area. As with any other courtesy extended, I'm sure some ****** abuse it and hang around bugging the techs no end but I never saw it. I have seen owners doing what I do though......quick visit - often at the advice of the service manager - to talk directly with the tech working on the car, explaining an issue face to face and maybe a little shop talk. Works for everyone. As long as they have signs posted, how do they lose in court should something happen? "Well......he just wandered in there, ignoring the posted signs".
Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Domer
I agree with you 100% there is absolutely no reason for your car to be returned with ANY DAMAGE at all.
Obsessive? Ha,...I keep our cars as perfect as possible, and if it were to be returned damaged I'd be PISSED.
But, sell it ...no way. (let me make you an offer......................)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

gents, lets remember that what they do, and what they should do are not the same thing.

It only takes one accident to give everyone a new perspective.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do what I do when I bring my car into dealer service. I use painter's tape on the door sills and speaker grill. One time on my 997 S, some dufus service guy totally scuffed up both areas. Can't they get in and out of cars without dragging their, what seemed like baseball cleats, when they work on our cars? I try and avoid service as much as possible for this reason.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^This.

Quick Reply: disgusted 997.2 owner