Sponsored by:

disgusted 997.2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
...I always request specifically that my car NOT be washed. I figure it's one less step and set of hands where something can go wrong.
It's a good idea to put that in writing under the comments section when they are writing up your service order stating customer DOES NOT want a car wash. I go one step further and place three post it notes stating the same in a black marker pen and stick one on the steering wheel, dash and center console as there often is a communication gap. Most often (9/10 times) IMO the reason for the scratches and swirls is poor drying technique. They often use ignorant guys who use poor quality, dirty microfiber towels. I've seen times where they would dry the door jambs and then when they see a wet spot on the paint, use the same towel to dry that spot
Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
It's a good idea to put that in writing under the comments section when they are writing up your service order stating customer DOES NOT want a car wash.
Absolutely.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

youre going to sell the car cause the dealer scratched it - seriously??
Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's going to sell the car because he can not reliably and safely have the warantee work done at a convienent dealer location.

Yes, seriously.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

he doesnt say anything about the quality of the actual mechanical work on the car - all he talks about is a couple of scratches

i suppose you will say that the quality of the guys that wash the cars speaks to the quality of the dealership and their mechanics ....

seriously?

actually yah he should sell the car
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry to hear of Domer's troubles. That is unacceptable and hopefully it was pointed out to the Service Manager and MI reflected in the satisfaction survey when it comes from Porsche. A negative response on that survey is taken very seriously.

My dealer (Sonnen) is excellent and I've never had an issue with them. That said, responding to USMC's comment, I always request specifically that my car NOT be washed. I figure it's one less step and set of hands where something can go wrong.
Same here, Mike. I've used two different dealers in the Los Angeles area and found them both very satisfactory. And I've heard good words about a couple of others as well.

I suspect the difference is we do have a lot of Porsches in California. So the level of competition is higher and the dealers try harder. I would suggest the OP not just respond to that survey, but place a call to PCNA. In my experience, corporations pay attention when a customer takes the time to call and explain why they aren't happy about something. (And yes, the idea of someone 'scuffing' my car is completely intolerable. That happens with low-end econoboxes and most of the owners don't even notice because they do such things themselves regularly, but with a Porsche?!)

Gary
Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
We have the same issue here in Austin - one p-dealer and they act like it. They'll eventually fix the real issue on the car but you have to deal with all the BS additive services they try to weasel in 1st. Then they give the car back washed but with water spots everywhere... why even bother washing it in the 1st place. Plus I didn't ask for a crapy car wash. I hand wash and DIY my p-car anyway... have only taken my car into the dealer once when I absolutely had to for warranty work and that was enough. 3 yrs left on the warranty plus CPO... hope I never have to take it into these idiots. If anything... I'll probably take my car to Dallas where there are more dealers.
USMC...take it down to San Antonio to the Porche Center there and see Mike (service manger). He has been great with me so far even making sure to give me a Panamera 4 loaner when my car wasn't ready and always has taken great car of me. Md
Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
he doesnt say anything about the quality of the actual mechanical work on the car - all he talks about is a couple of scratches

i suppose you will say that the quality of the guys that wash the cars speaks to the quality of the dealership and their mechanics ....

seriously?

actually yah he should sell the car
I didn't give a complete play-by-play, but yes, each time the dealer has had the car in its possession, it's fkd something else up.

The dealer has gone above and beyond trying to fix each thing it screws up, but the bottom line is that I cannot take the car there without being a net loser...they take two steps back for every one step forward. They are incompetent and they do not care about the condition of the vehicle. I do. In fact, I obsess about it, so I'm sure I contribute. But they should at least be careful while my car is in their hands and they are not.

I had a freak warranty repair that required paint and body work. They had to repair a ding (actually a zit) on the driver quarter panel. The car left the factory with a pop rivet between two steel panels above the wheel well, and at some point the panel flexed under road stress (like a tight turn), and the rivet slid down deeper between the panels while the steel was flexed, and when the car returned to its normal position, the rivet caused a zit because it was then bigger than the space caused by the flexing of the panels, hence it had to go somewhere. No way to repair it without paint and body work.

Dealer's paint and body work resulted in overspray over the entire car. The first time the service assistant caught it and sent it back. They allegedly took care of the problem. While doing this stuff they damaged a window gasket, had to replace, took 3-5 days for the part.

Had a problem with the passenger seat (seemingly off-track), and they held the car for 5 days while they waited on a part they ordered only to find that they ordered the wrong part. I've long since given up on them not greasing up the inside of the car while it's in service--they are incapable of returning it to me clean, and I don't let them wash it.

Anyway, after the dealer had the car a month to fix these two issues, it still came back with over-spray and all the scuffs and gouges out of the driver sill. I had the over spray taken care of by an expert, and the dealer picked up the tab. There is no chance I will give them the car (I haven't and won't ask) to fix anything else because each time I do, they leave me some other present to find after I pick it up.

This is therapeutic. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:04 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

We are all now convinced that it is time to sell the car. It has given you more angst than joy thanks to the dealership. BTW, I've never heard of a dealership that does painting. They usually outsource it to a good body shop.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow... that really sucks. Sorry Man. Sounds like we both need to find another dealer.

mdrobc, thanks for the reco sir. Will try SA out... much closer than Dallas.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Any car will cause you angst if you are overly obssessive. I like my cars to be in good shape and relatively clean but you gotta let go a little. The best part of a 911 is how it drives. How it looks is secondary to me. There's no excuse for your dealers actions. But just sayin that having a $100K car and obsessing is too much work and will detract from the best part of the car (enjoyment from driving it and using it).
Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are all now convinced that it is time to sell the car. It has given you more angst than joy thanks to the dealership. BTW, I've never heard of a dealership that does painting. They usually outsource it to a good body shop.
Most new car dealers that I know of do their own body work.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Any car will cause you angst if you are overly obssessive. I like my cars to be in good shape and relatively clean but you gotta let go a little. The best part of a 911 is how it drives. How it looks is secondary to me. There's no excuse for your dealers actions. But just sayin that having a $100K car and obsessing is too much work and will detract from the best part of the car (enjoyment from driving it and using it).
I agree completely. And I WANT to change, but there's no 12-step for me. I wish I could overlook their carelessness, but that's the challenge. I could probably obsess less, but could never overlook their indifference. P-car owners seem to appreciate their cars on a different level than most, but this dealer treats 'em all the same. This dealer has several brands, domestic, Japanese, German....Porsche is just one of them, and that's how they act. That's not how the sales department acts, but rather how the service department acts.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Woodhouse Porsche of Omaha does and does a great job.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
I agree completely. And I WANT to change, but there's no 12-step for me. I wish I could overlook their carelessness, but that's the challenge. I could probably obsess less, but could never overlook their indifference. P-car owners seem to appreciate their cars on a different level than most, but this dealer treats 'em all the same. This dealer has several brands, domestic, Japanese, German....Porsche is just one of them, and that's how they act. That's not how the sales department acts, but rather how the service department acts.
Domer, I hear you. Don't get me wrong, I'd be insanely pissed if they did that to my car. but at the same time, I have let go about worrying too much. I have no dings etc., and am careful. But the car is a DD and I just love USING it. It has 2 tiny scratches, that I wish it didn't have and I keep it fairly clean. Just saying try to enjoy it more. The engine, the drive, the handling, the steering, the responsiveness, what a joy..

Don't sell

Quick Reply: disgusted 997.2 owner