C4S vs C2S

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
how can one person make such a blanket statement? comic gold

anyway, to the OP - please do, go get the C4S if for anything, the stability. I have a lowly C2S and it is SCARY unstable. I mean, it should be on meds it's so unstable.

add in the fact that it is only a 997.1 (you know, that piece of **** Porsche put out to market between the 996 and, our savior, the 997.2, and before direct fuel injection saved the world).

don't ask about PDK... god knows I must have took the cheap *** route (again...read 997.1 purchase vs .2) in getting a 6 speed.

OR - go to the GT3/GT3RS board and get their opinion
lol, glad I was able to provide some comic relief for you. Yes, it's a bit exaggerated. But seriously, if fun to you means sliding the back end, then okay C2S is better but for most average people, the rear end isn't supposed to slide. I have a rwd car as well, I know they are fun but for most people, they don't call that fun.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are a pretty good driver and you aren't in rain or snow, the C2S is the better car, but if you have rain or snow a lot the C4S is a great solution. It is really that simple.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
lol, glad I was able to provide some comic relief for you. Yes, it's a bit exaggerated. But seriously, if fun to you means sliding the back end, then okay C2S is better but for most average people, the rear end isn't supposed to slide. I have a rwd car as well, I know they are fun but for most people, they don't call that fun.
this is my 4th p-car.. have never had any back end slide. accidental or intentional.

imo, Porsche does a decent job in making their cars. even if some think the suspension is not great, or could be better (not me), it still handles quite well

having driven AWD (granted, an A4 quattro), I did like how it pulled through corners. I would like to drive an AWD sports car to check it out, I'm not sure it would sell me as an "AWD only" guy. maybe it would. either way, my C2S is totally stable and handles quite well
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

c'on Dave, you never throttle steered the car when no was looking?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kosmo
c'on Dave, you never throttle steered the car when no was looking?
maybe I'm getting old....

not even sure what that means!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You need a lesson in Porsche driving!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The notion that you need 4wd to go out in the rain is so completely hilarious it has to be a wind-up. I live in the north of the UK. The weather here is at least as bad as Seattle and worse than everywhere else in the USA. Last night my 2wd GTS had to wade through intermittent standing water 6 inches deep for a good 30 miles. All done at 80mph. Cornering at 50mph. Car felt great. There's a lot of weight sitting over those rear wheels giving mighty traction.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2008 C2S and put over 30,000 miles on it. I now have a 2011 C4S and I am approaching 7,000 miles. The C4S feels more planted and I love the wide hips. When low on fuel the C2S front end was significantly lighter, almost twitchy compared to the C4S.

I really like both cars. I think I lean a little toward my C4S because of her fat bottom and I think the color combo I have is killer.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
The notion that you need 4wd to go out in the rain is so completely hilarious it has to be a wind-up. I live in the north of the UK. The weather here is at least as bad as Seattle and worse than everywhere else in the USA. Last night my 2wd GTS had to wade through intermittent standing water 6 inches deep for a good 30 miles. All done at 80mph. Cornering at 50mph. Car felt great. There's a lot of weight sitting over those rear wheels giving mighty traction.
+1. Have driven my 2wd sports cars for 27 yrs in sun, rain, snow, sleet, and ice from sunny SoCal to icy Denver. Also have three 4x4 trucks/SUV but when it rains I still drive them in 2WD mode... 4WD mode is actually bad for the drive system on paved roads... originally designed for loose surfaces like dirt, snow, gravel roads. So when driving in the rain I just let off on the gas when I start to feel any hydroplaning. I understand the sacrifice of adding more weight, complexity, and maintenance to a 997 if I still lived in Denver. But then again I would just drive a true 4x4 truck during the winter and a C2S during the summer. If a Jlo sized rear end was my personal preference then the GTS would be the ticket for that type of ride+looks.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Gadgetman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
PCA's HPDE are awesome! I've been to 2 HPDE events at Roebling Roads and I've learn a lot in driving my C4S on a road coarse. Throttle steering/maintenance throttle, turn in, apex, track out, etc...

C4S is my choice.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
TRUE DAT!!! and I'm eyeing up the Barber school in Alabama (trying to determine best time of year for weather and track conditions)

but you're absolutely right - NEED driving school!!! or a local SF person to show me the ropes!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Easy - either get one of each or the one YOU like. Try to drive both back-to-back and the choice should be obvious.

I've owned a C4S and a C2S. Personally I prefer the C2S in all aspects, including the looks. Not a fan of big booties I guess. Although if I could find a GTS without center lock wheels I'd be tempted. . .
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

I agree, everyone acts like race car drivers here. If one was to drive both C2S and C4S back to back. 9 out of 10 will pick the C4S. It feels more stable, the C2S feels loose. The C4S feels more stable, planted, that gives you the confidence to go faster. Everyone is regurgitating what they are reading in magazines. The avg driver which is most of us will find the C4S more fun to drive. Most of the people who said C2S probably hasn't driven a C4S, just based their opinion on what they have read. Try driving them back to back at a PDE. You will know what I mean.
Not true. Or I am the 1 out of 10. I drove them back to back, brand new C4S and brand new C2S. Could feel a difference and picked the C2S. While it's not dramatic, there is a difference. I'd still be happy with a C4S.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
this is my 4th p-car.. have never had any back end slide. accidental or intentional.
Then you are not driving it hard enough. I am not saying rear wheel drive isn't fun. I had an e36 M3 and have a MB SLK that I track, both RWD cars. My first introduction to the track was an autocross. I found it more fun drifting through the corners than getting the best times. It's not as easy drifting an AWD car. What I am saying is, the average driver will find the AWD to be more planted and more stable.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Then you are not driving it hard enough. I am not saying rear wheel drive isn't fun. I had an e36 M3 and have a MB SLK that I track, both RWD cars. My first introduction to the track was an autocross. I found it more fun drifting through the corners than getting the best times. It's not as easy drifting an AWD car. What I am saying is, the average driver will find the AWD to be more planted and more stable.
wow! the thought of that just made me smile, love the thought of that. learning should be some really good fun!

that said, I have 10 miles commute (of which several miles are just getting through the city) - and I travel a lot for work - so I do suffer a shortage of driving time)

Quick Reply: C4S vs C2S