Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by alexb76
What about fitting a .1 GT3 engine? I guess upgrade clutch while at it too...
GT3 has a totaly different engine and does not have the IMS.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

GT3 has an oil pump shaft that also drives the chains but its totally different setup.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Menmojo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An idea?

Why not just plug in a gt3 engine with all the right stuff.
I've seen plenty of crushed gt3's at PCA DE events. I'm sure you could find a donor car? Just thought .....
Old 10-04-2011, 01:43 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm pompous
At least we agree on one thing.

Well, two - everyone buys their car for whatever reason floats their boat.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
My engine also let go at Road Atlanta...in August...under similarly hot conditions. It gave NO warning signs. I had accelerated through second gear and had just shifted up into third when the dashboard lit up and I lost power. A photographer standing nearby said the car made no noise. It just shut down. I recall hearing a brief high-pitched whirring sound for a second or two.
Did this happen during an early Sunday run group? I arrived at the track just before my group later in the morning and there was mention of someone getting towed from the track
Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 AM
neun11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

A very good article I received from a friend this morning:

"Higher rpms also increases bearing life as this lessens the viscosity requirements of the lubricant to maintain EHD lubrication, also providing a reasonable explanation of the lack of IMS failures in tracked cars or those driven "like they were stolen." Likewise, far more failures are found in engines with low mileage that are garage queens and never driven to their full potential."

Read the full article here:

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html
Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
it is true. 997.2 bus and sensors are not same. that is why i say - it has to be an alteration of ECU microcode to make it speak to 997.1 bus.
you see, everything is doable, it is just a matter of time and resources. i think for porsche as a company it would be 3-4 months top to make some bangalor based resource to alter and QA such a code.

i only hope that if situation with M96/M97 will continue as it is some aftermarket brains like softronic or other tuners will do the same to make 9A1 to pair with 997.1 car. DFI or not DFI majority of sensors and ECUs are quite the same on 997.2 and 997.1. mechanically all mounts and weld points are also same. so it is just a matter of altering microcode in 2 ECUs. should be quite doable IMHO.
"it is not only possible, it was already done and more than once" - so tell us who did it and how they fit the engine and all the wiring and electronics. Do you know for a fact that all the mounts and weld points are the same? I would think (not know) that that mating of the 9A1 to PDK is certainly different than that of the M96/M97 to the Tip. You make a lot of statements about retro-fitting the 9A1 that sound like facts but I don't see any facts. You're correct that given time and resources anything is possible - I remember tuners stuffing a 911 engine into a VW Beatle. In fact there's a great uTube video of the VW microbus with a 911 engine running on the track.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

all i can say is glad i have 997.2, unless someone has heard of a 9a1 engine exploding
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by TommyV44
If most of the 997 owners I've ever met were like you......I'd be sure I was in the wrong car!
Thanks for posting this... saved me the trouble...

I could use the 17K in my pocket..SERIOUSLY
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

This whole painfully expensive experience has taught me the importance of proper engine lubrication.

I've always used Mobil 1 (0w-40). After this lost engine, Porsche "experts" have told me that "tracked cars" will benefit from a higher grade oil.

Castrol Syntec (5w-40) and Motul 8100 (5w-40) have been recommended.

I've also been advised to ALWAYS CAREFULLY inspect the oil filter and look for metal bits and tell-tale warning signs. Not being a mechanical type, this came as welcome advice. I'll pass it along here for what it's worth.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
GT3 has a totaly different engine and does not have the IMS.
Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
GT3 has an oil pump shaft that also drives the chains but its totally different setup.
well to be clear, the mezger engines do have an intermediate shaft.

It is run with gears driven by the crank, and in turn drives the oil pump and the cam chains.

The bearing setup is totally different. Here are some pics of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
This whole painfully expensive experience has taught me the importance of proper engine lubrication.

I've always used Mobil 1 (0w-40). After this lost engine, Porsche "experts" have told me that "tracked cars" will benefit from a higher grade oil.

Castrol Syntec (5w-40) and Motul 8100 (5w-40) have been recommended.

I've also been advised to ALWAYS CAREFULLY inspect the oil filter and look for metal bits and tell-tale warning signs. Not being a mechanical type, this came as welcome advice. I'll pass it along here for what it's worth.
Mike, when you say a better grade are you saying a better product, thicker or thinner oil?

When warm a 0w40 and 5w40 are the same viscosity....so is Castrol or Motul just a better made oil then?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Default NEVER KNEW

"as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"...
I actually thought that you could take a 911 off the showroom floor and drive it straight to the track and race it..... I knew that there were purpose built 911's that would do a better job but all of the cars could be tracked...
Install a roll bar and a good brand harness and off you went.

I really did!!!!! damn domesticated turkeys..
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
"as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"...
I actually thought that you could take a 911 off the showroom floor and drive it straight to the track and race it..... I knew that there were purpose built 911's that would do a better job but all of the cars could be tracked...
Install a roll bar and a good brand harness and off you went.

I really did!!!!! damn domesticated turkeys..
You can and plenty do...check out BGB Motorsports that races in Grand Am...street cars gutted and raced. Go to a PCA race...95% of the cars are street cars with street engines that race.

Purpose built Porsche Cup cars can have engine issues too....not many do and not many street cars at DE's or races have issues either.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
You can and plenty do...check out BGB Motorsports that races in Grand Am...street cars gutted and raced. Go to a PCA race...95% of the cars are street cars with street engines that race.

Purpose built Porsche Cup cars can have engine issues too....not many do and not many street cars at DE's or races have issues either.
I think I read recently too that the GT2RS drove from California (or Georgia, can't remember) and then raced as is in the Pikes Peak climb.

Quick Reply: Porsche: Not made for the track