Sponsored by:

Solid Colors vs Metallics

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solid Colors vs Metallics

While my car is painted in a metallic color (Meteor Gray), I would have preferred a solid color. It is a beautiful car and I love it. But....

The only solid colors available seem to be black, white, and extreme colors (red and yellow) plus -- and considerable extra cost -- cream. What I would like are a nice solid gray or two, a real dark green (not the absurd metallic not-really-British racing green) and, perhaps, a nice dark brown and/or dark blue.

One more thing, I'd like every color to be protected with a layer of clear coat.

Am I the only one who is tired of metallic paints?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If I'm not mistaken all Porsches since the late 90's have clear coat.

As far as metallic vs solid colors, this is personal preference. Typically companies will offer what buyers historically seek out which means there's probably more demand for a metallic vs a solid color.

You can always order a new 911 with PTS in Azure Blue (solid navy) or other solid colors like gray.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the earlier Porsche colors were quite stunning--Stone Grey, Strawberry Red, Fjord Green, Aetna Blue, etc.
On the 356 Registry here: http://porsche356registry.org/356tal....html?start=15

If I was to order up a new car, it would be PTS, but which of the old colors would be the hard choice.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
While my car is painted in a metallic color (Meteor Gray), I would have preferred a solid color. It is a beautiful car and I love it. But....

The only solid colors available seem to be black, white, and extreme colors (red and yellow) plus -- and considerable extra cost -- cream. What I would like are a nice solid gray or two, a real dark green (not the absurd metallic not-really-British racing green) and, perhaps, a nice dark brown and/or dark blue.

One more thing, I'd like every color to be protected with a layer of clear coat.

Am I the only one who is tired of metallic paints?
I'm with you FI Flyer, it's a crying shame that they offer so few solid's. IMO it's easier to make a metallic look good because of the "metallic" flake that lends the color a "jewelled" look. It takes a lot more to make a solid look good as you cannot make it sparkle. I'm surprised that it looks like the 991 will be launched in blue metalic and silver, nothing special but probably their best selling colors that do not distract nor highlight the machine beneath.

PS I really like the solid gray (called Grey Black?) on the .2RS.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ralt12
Some of the earlier Porsche colors were quite stunning--Stone Grey, Strawberry Red, Fjord Green, Aetna Blue, etc.
On the 356 Registry here: http://porsche356registry.org/356tal....html?start=15

If I was to order up a new car, it would be PTS, but which of the old colors would be the hard choice.
Owning a Pastel Yellow 911 is on my bucket list.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

After a lot of research on this myself I came to the conclusion that metallic colors are more forgiving after they're on the car. You just don't notice things like minor paint flaws because the metallic filings within a metallic paint job distract you from seeing such things. However, metallics are always harder to match if you have to do spot repairs. The world appears convinced that metallic paint jobs are more expensive and exclusive and they have bought into that.

Many silver metallics hide a lot of dirt as well. You can go weeks without washing a metallic car. Not so for a solid. In today's busy society/culture, people just don't want to take the time to wash their cars as often as a solid requires.

Just some observations and thoughts from me on this subject. BTW, all my Porsches have had solid colors. I've never owned a Porsche with a metallic finish.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

welcome to the 20th century, almost every car made for consumers has metallic paint, since the 80s. Its what is wanted most and why it is used most. Along with clear coats, since the 80s. Its modern technology and most widely used in the automotive industry.
If you want to go get your car repainted with a non metallic paint, go have them mix a color and leave all the metallic out.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I found my own color selection to be very emotional based this time and subject to change. Initially I targeted silver, dark gray, or black. Found myself test driving guards red which my wife dislikes and bought it on the spot. Impulse buy? my wife likes it now though and I'm happy as a clam. My two girls are getting along.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something about the pigments must have changed, right?

When you look at classic car solid colors (like those 356's or any of the classic american cars), they have a really deep, layered look, and they subtly change color with different light.

Modern solid paint jobs just look really flat. It seems like they use the metallic just to make it look decent.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for posting the link to the porsche356registry. I was struck by how many colors would look good on contemporary Carreras, Boxters and Caymans. Not extreme, like Guards Red or Speed Yellow or the much-disputed orange, but colors that would look good on everyday cars used as daily drivers -- and more interesting than the grays and blacks that are the norm today.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Just PICK the color you like the MOST... then, if there's both a solid and a metallic version, decide which is the better option for you.

I owned BOTH a solid Black and Metallic Black... Solid black was INSANELY difficult to maintain, it'd get dirty like in no time, show swirl marks very easily, and in general was GREAT when detailed, and CRAP when dirty.

I personally would NEVER buy another solid black, but for instance love the solid White and might consider than for future.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
Something about the pigments must have changed, right?

When you look at classic car solid colors (like those 356's or any of the classic american cars), they have a really deep, layered look, and they subtly change color with different light.

Modern solid paint jobs just look really flat. It seems like they use the metallic just to make it look decent.
Older paints were not clear coated (single state) and this lended to a deeper finish when properly polished. If you look at a properly polished single state Guards Red Porsche built before 1995 it will literally look like the paint is soaking wet and ready to drip off the car. It is stunning and will usually make people stop in their tracks to look at it.

I do wonder if metallics cost more than solid colors. They are marketed that way from most manufacturers so it leads you to believe that.

Meteor Grey is a beautiful color, the color shifting makes it very interesting and gives the car a different look. You won't get that with a solid color.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My use and enjoyment of the car comes from sitting inside it, so I've never cared what color the outside is.

The outside color consumed primarily by other people, so the car color could blind gawkers' unborn children for all I care.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Upkeep is very much a PITA for solid dark colors and somehow I feel it was more apt for the classic era. My favorite being the Aubergine aka egg plant color
Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Here's a good site of various 997 colours.

http://www.europeanspeed.com/excolors.htm

Quick Reply: Solid Colors vs Metallics