Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcm "voice control" on 997.2 worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
What about for phone use? Can you say "call Diego" and it will reliably work?
Yes, I can. However, I never use that feature much. As is, I don't really make calls while driving and only rarely receive them. You would have to have the number filed under "Diego" in your phone book, of course.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cchan
I guess it depends on what you expect from voice recognition too... Pretty much on most car systems out there, you need to know the exact format/order/pattern of commands and when to say what, as they don't really understand normal spoken "conversation".

But the best so far has been the 997.2 Porsche... without training the system yet to recognize my voice,...

I agree with that. Now I have gone through the training sequence on my PCM3 voice recognition system where it has you read a bunch of stuff so it can adjust to your particular way of speaking.

If you are listening to a USB playback, you cannot say "change the audio to FM station KJAQ" for example. You have to say "Source FM", then issue another voice command "Station Jack" and it gets there (saying "Station Kay Jay Ay Keww" doesn't work).

And it works just fine, even with both side windows rolled down and the Targa roof fully open while whistling down the interstate at 70mph. Depending on the wind, sometimes I have to raise my voice a bit. The rule seems to be, if I cannot year myself clearly, the system probably won't hear me clearly either.. but I'm not yelling in any case.

Quick Reply: pcm "voice control" on 997.2 worth getting?