Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced Road Rage in my Porsche...DAMAGE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

what if your window was down and you took a nickel to the eye?

would the cops bother doing anything then? pursue, with gusto!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Get a blackbox for your car... no dispute if you have it on video.
more info on this "blackbox" you speak of please
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I experienced road rage this last month while driving my Cayenne with my wife to the beach in St. Peterburg FL going through a toll plaza and trying to merge back into traffic. A guy in a old Dodge pick up truck got pissed I and a few others were trying to merge and he threw a hand full of change at my Cayenne denting the side door, window frame and chipping the window.

I got his tag number and called the police. They did not really want to do anything about it. I pressed on gave them his tag number and they called it in. They said they would be back in an hour with a line up of pictures. This guy has obviously been arrested before and I pointed him right out. The police went to the other side of my car and my wife pointed out the same guy.

His mug shot lined up with the tag number I gave the police so we were right on track and the police said they would go question him. The police paid him a visit and of course this guy said he didn't do anything and doesn't know what they are talking about. So far the police have done nothing about this.

Is it worth it to pursue this and press the police to go after this guy?
Haven't read all the other posts so if this repeats sorry.

Let it be.

If you press for charges and the guy is found innocent -- and he almost has to confess to be found guilty -- he can then turn around and sue you and he'll win.

Your insurance company will not go after the guy because there's not enough proof to file a claim against him and his insurance company.

So, as distasteful as it may be let it be.

Thankfully neither you or your passenger were not hurt and the car's damage is not that serious.

While this guy should be off teh road adn probably locked up there's not enough for you or the law to do this.

BTW, I've seen road ragers (thankfully not in rage at me) throw things at the object of their rage. I spotted a guy in junky old Jeep throw a large plastic bottle of water at another vehicle over something.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Vehicle Video Blackbox

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
more info on this "blackbox" you speak of please
There are several different types out there. I went with the Smarty BX1000 from D-TEG... I bought my unit from Amazon. Here's a link to some info/details:
http://www.gpi360.com/index.php?page...emart&Itemid=6
Small enough to fit hidden behind the rear view mirror n I like how it rec video, speed, location, and links into Google(still gotta get that to work).

Good for accidents, ticket disputes, and when I'm parked JIC someone gets p-car envy and does the unthinkable. It records back over itself so you always have the current event needed. Note that this is a single channel forward or rear facing only unit. There are other products from different manufacturers with 2 channels(front and back facing) but they're to large for my liking... plus I'm not sure I want myself recorded in the cab. I just got it a few wks back and learning but I like it so far. I feel unprotected w/o it in my wife's Lexus. I would share an AVI video but it takes about 8MB's for 20 sec which is too large for the RL site.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM
ask
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
what if your window was down and you took a nickel to the eye?

would the cops bother doing anything then? pursue, with gusto!
A friend of mine had someone throw stuff at him while he was in his car with his family. (Small rocks I think it was). It made dents. He called the cops and followed the jerk. The cops came and made an arrest for assault since the dents in the car showed that he was throwing the rocks at the person (not the car).

This was in Orange County, CA.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

pissedpuppy:

I got a different black box from Amazon, also small, fits behind mirror. It was $199 no tax free shipping. It is a "Itronics ITB-70G Car Black Box Dash Camera Video and Audio Recorder with GPS Record"

After 3 months I'm still happy with it. Only gives a front view, so it would not work in all circumstances, but I figured it could help in most cases to eliminate false accusations re fault. I've also left it running sometimes when I park, since it might provide evidence, esp. if you back into a space.

Here's a link:
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

More reason to have conceal carry...well it would work in Oklahoma.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this happen in the Bimmer, but usually get the opposite response in the Porker!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 AM
dc88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Get your insurance company involved and let them chase after it. I agree that life is too short and time is too precious to chase after a lowlife.
Not sure how it works in the USA but in Ontario with no fault insurance, you file a claim with your own company with the police report and other driver info. Your insurance company will pay for your damage (probably no deductable if proven not your fault). Then your insurance company will go after his insurance company or him via civil lawsuits. Even if the police will not go after him, I am sure the insurance will make him pay in some fashion after they pay out to recoup their money.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:58 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I must say I am truly amazed at the number of folks who are willing to ignore or recommend ignoring a criminal activity. How can our country survive with this attitude?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
I must say I am truly amazed at the number of folks who are willing to ignore or recommend ignoring a criminal activity. How can our country survive with this attitude?
Well, then work to change the liabiilty and false accusations laws.

Recently, I had a run in with a neighbor over noise. To make a long story short after trying the usual things -- I consulted with an attorney to make sure I did the things necesary to build a case of loss of enjoyment to my apartment due to the actions of the neighbor -- I went to the local police department (after having to call them 3 different times to quell the noise sometimes at 2 or 3 am) to ask about making a citizen's arrest for disturbing the peace.

To my surprise one of the police officers who I spoke with started out telling me how he interpreted the peace and quiet ordiances in the city.

His interpretation of the law vs. how it was written essentially meant he didn't enforce the law properly, effectively rendering the laws (city, county and even the state noise laws) useless.

The officer went on to say that while I could, next time I had to call out the police, file a complaint and make a citizen's arrest which he would follow through with.

But if the case came to trial and the citizen I 'arrested' was found not guilty or the charges dismissed, the citizen could then turn around and sue me for false arrest.

The police officer told me he was protected from this to some considerable degree by the fact he was a police officer, while I as a private citizen, I had no such protection. Given how much sympathy the criminals get vs. the victims for even more serious crimes I decided against making a citizen's arrest.

Instead, I took the steps I needed to break the lease (at very little cost to me) and moved away to a much quieter apartment.

I found out later the owner of the apartment (condo) I had left was in the market to sell the unit and that explains why she and the property management company didn't make any effort to help me resolve the noise issue.

Then the apartment owner had the gall to ask the property managment company to ask me if I'd be willing to help her, share with her what I had done, gone through, to help her deal l with the noisy neighbor so the sale would go smoothly.

In the case of the OP, it would be his word against that of the accused. The court would have to dismiss the charges (if they were even brought in the first place). Then the OP could be facing a false arrest lawsuit and even if he was found not at fault the legal fees and time and so on would extract a huge cost.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Experienced Road Rage in my Porsche...DAMAGE