Sponsored by:

Experienced Road Rage in my Porsche...DAMAGE

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Get your insurance company involved and let them chase after it. I agree that life is too short and time is too precious to chase after a lowlife.
Best advice, especially since there's a police report.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I was on the 5 freeway in Calif where the right lane was ending. I was in the left lane and held my position since I had already been nice enough to let three vehicles get in. A Yukon tried to push me off the road four times and came within inches of hitting my car. He never got in front of me but I am guessing he got in trouble from his wife since after the incident he stayed about 20 car lenghs behind me. The guy even had his kids in the vehicle. Trucks don't like Porsches!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

The big problem here is the inaction by the police. Please press them for action. If no action taken contact the mayor, etc. and call the local news media etc. The law enforcement community has forgotten, along with the rest of government, that they work for us. Do what you can to get the police to investigate. You will be doing us all a favor.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 PM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy to say pursue it with the police, and I'd like to see justice, but for my time, I'd let it go and be happy he didn't do something that harmed you or your wife...

Funny that he was throwing money at you! He could apply it to therapy or bail or something else constructive...
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Get your insurance company involved and let them chase after it. I agree that life is too short and time is too precious to chase after a lowlife.
+1... this has worked for me twice now. 1st time someone ran a red light and sideswiped my previous m3. Claimed his light was green... the evidence eventually proved me right. There was an undercover cop in an unmarked vehicle who witnessed and wrote up the report. My insurance company did the rest. 2nd time a kid rearended my wife's Lexus. Wouldn't produce proof of insurance and could only produce an expired driver's license. Took off before the police showed up. I got the license plate number. Again my insurance carrier, Allstate, went after the kid and got compensation. In both, cases I had to initially pay for the deductable but Allstate eventually retrieved compensation from the individuals and/or their insurance carriers... It took a month but I always got my deductible back. File a claim with your insurance carrier and let them deal with it.

Lately I've been driving with a vehicle "blackbox"... records it all. I don't even notice it... tucks in behind the mirror. http://www.thecarblackbox.com/
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, the nice thing is that your insurance company should go after the guy. Let them handle it, you might be out your deductible for awhile but you should get it back.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
How did he do that much damage by throwing *coins* at your car?
If the guy has a history he probably has a cup holder full of washers, too.

Sorry to hear Mike. I'd see if the DOT has it on CCTV. If they don't it will all come down to his word against yours. And we all know that goes nowhere. Get it fixed and move on. Karma will get him eventually. It always does.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

If you ID the guy and file a complaint with the police, they should cite him and be done with it. After that it's in the hands of the local prosecutor. If you and your wife are willing to testify that he's the man, it's an easy case for the PA. On the other end - however - he's likely to get cited with a misdemeanor ticket for disturbance or distruction of private property. If convicted, he'll pick up a fine and may get ordered to pay restitution, but won't do any jail time.

If you're lucky - the guy's a real f head and won't show for the trial. Then he picks up a bench warrant and he'll get arrested. If he has a substantial record for being a general F head, the PA may decide to go big on the guy or if he's seen the same judge several times - he could get up to 6 months (usually no more than 30 days) in county jail.

In most places, if you swear out the criminal complaint, the police must go and cite the guy (issue the ticket) if they know where to find him. It is up to the prosecutor - not the police - whether to proceed after that.

One last point. If you file a criminal complaint you become the complaining witness NOT a plaintiff. thus, you have no control over what the prosecutor does and don't have the option to "drop the case" if it becomes too much of a hassle.

If you file a civil complaint, you'll probably get his attention, but maybe no more money than he threw at your car. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was lucky last week on the highway. SUV or Pickup I forget. He dumped the ice from his Big Gulp out his window with me behind him. I was able to negotiate around it. I guess he showed me!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

most excellent Jim!!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

...or do like they do in Miami - concealed carry, or not concealed. That would stop the problem.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd ask the police to press charges. Here in AZ they say they aggressively prosecute road rage. If not, it will only get worse.

I'd also sick the insurance folks on the guy. Maybe even the IRS - I mean, he's throwing away money, I'm sure they would take it!

And write a letter to the editor - asking why the police aren't interested in a documented and confirmed case of road rage? Of course, this is the state where folks have a hard time voting, so who knows about the cops?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well. Mike (as I) are in Florida, so let's not even get into the difficulty voting!
That kind of road rage reminds me of cycling not long ago around here. Throwing beer bottles (empty - rest assured!) at cyclists and trying to get the bottle to break upon impact was a great sport. Not as much so anymore, but you were almost better off being a deer during hunting season than a cyclist on open roads.
I think the Tampa area still ranks worst in number of cyclist fatalities each year. I digressed a bit - sry!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 AM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I understand all the comments about it isn't worth the time and effort, but that attitude has gotten us to where we are today. We need to start taking a stand and fighting for what is right. Sounds like some comments by folks quite knowledgeable in the law have pointed the way forward. Isn't it our obligation to try and stop this kind of behavior? Isn't that why we have what we have in society today?

Quick Reply: Experienced Road Rage in my Porsche...DAMAGE