Sponsored by:

DIY Brake Flush and DE's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:01 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DIY Brake Flush and DE's

I intend to flush the brakes for a upcoming DE. Will the event inspector accept my good word?
Also are there any ABS issues on the 997 while doing the flush? Any ABS tools needed? tks
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes the event inspector will be cool with that.

Any ABS issues...well there could be or maybe not...depends on if you get air into the system when flushing. If you do and bleed the air out and you still have a soft pedal. Go drive the car and brake hard to get the ABS pumps to work...then go back and bleed again. If you are using a Motive bleeder you might need to do the final bleed the old fashing way and get some help from a friend or the wife to pump the pedal while you bleed.

I also recomend Motul RBF660 brake fluid. I am going to use the ProSpeed683 for a few DE's and see how it is. Some of my racers friend love it. I never liked Castrol SRF...to mushy of pedal feel for me.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Mdrums, do you use a motive bleeder? I heard good things and air doesnt seem to be a problem and ABS is not an issue.
Also, I use ATE Amber color as I hate the fact that darker colors stain the reservoir. So when I push out the old w/ the new, how can i tell when to stop, assuming the color is the same? Seems like a lot of new fluid will be wasted.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

at least once a year go to a mechanic whi has PIWIS to do complete flush with opening up ABS module and also flushing clutch line. you can possibly do clutch line yourself but it is quite difficult to reach. to flush ABS lines you need PIWIS to open up valves.

what you can do yourself with a bleeder is to bleed each caliper after each other DE event - like 20-40ml from each bleeder valve, about of 200ml total from all 8 (a glass).
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Mdrums, do you use a motive bleeder? I heard good things and air doesnt seem to be a problem and ABS is not an issue.
Also, I use ATE Amber color as I hate the fact that darker colors stain the reservoir. So when I push out the old w/ the new, how can i tell when to stop, assuming the color is the same? Seems like a lot of new fluid will be wasted.
Yes I use the Motive bleeder. If you do not have air in the system you can flush with Motive. To flush the system you will use at least 2 bottles.

I bleed after 2 de days so I always have fresh fluid in the system...no real need to really ever flush. Motul660 is a darker amber, ProSpeed683 is a light colored amber like the stock fluid.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by utkinpol
at least once a year go to a mechanic whi has PIWIS to do complete flush with opening up ABS module and also flushing clutch line. you can possibly do clutch line yourself but it is quite difficult to reach. to flush ABS lines you need PIWIS to open up valves.

what you can do yourself with a bleeder is to bleed each caliper after each other DE event - like 20-40ml from each bleeder valve, about of 200ml total from all 8 (a glass).
oh yeah, there's 2 valves per caliper! So when doing this are you bleeding both valves at the same time or separately.

Im beginning to think the $99 (I supply the fluid) the dealer charges isnt so bad after all.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

oh yeah, there's 2 valves per caliper! So when doing this are you bleeding both valves at the same time or separately.

Im beginning to think the $99 (I supply the fluid) the dealer charges isnt so bad after all.
well, it is a 10min procedure really, to bleed calipers. you do them consequently - one valve then other. it does not matter.

when you`ll get r-comps and will start driving making your rotors go decently hot (you`ll know when) - you will have to bleed as you will feel how pedal firmness changes. in the beginning it does not matter much as you most likely do not heat up brakes too much anyway so one basic flush at dealer will do.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife and I do ours. Outside-in from furthest caliper to the closest caliper. It is a piece of cake as long as you know what you are doing.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Even bleeding the valve at the clutch isn't that difficult (997.1 only).
Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

If $99 includes a full bleed, with cycling the ABS pump to bleed it too, that's a great price.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Simply contact your registrar and ask him. Regional club rules differ, as they also also have their own respective inspection forms. Wouldn't it suck to be turned away @ the gate?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Or... You can change to Castrol SRF (or Motul) fluid and not have to bleed the brakes all year long. I learned early on that spending $70 for a quart of SRF was well worth it because I never had to fiddle with fluid again. I typically run 10-12 days a year at quick pace (Instructor) and have yet to have any diminution in braking capacity. I pay either my dealer or Indy in mid March to flush with new SRF and enjoy April to October.

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Flush and DE's