Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Super Sports??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Has anyone tried Pirelli Corsa System? It has directional front tires, and asymmetric rears, to provide both good wet and dry handling.

The reviews are very good, and there's an N-rated one available as well (N0 and N1).

Front (Directional):

Rear (Asymmetric ):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....oModClar=Coupe

N1:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....oModClar=Coupe

2007 GT3 Review:
Although this car is a daily driver, I also Autocross it and do the occassional track day and I have never been as pleased with this system of tire to date. I got an incredible 7000 miles out of the rear tires (more life still left on the front of these AR compound tires. They stick like glue at high speeds and when the front tire was fresh, I was able to drive at 75 miles per hour in a pouring rainstorm with no hydroplanning. Highly reccomend them for both track and street.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Which N-rated tires do you consider 'great' track tires ?
There are no N-rated track tires. They slapped the N rating on a Faux Pilot Sport Cup, but it's not a real cup. I've driven both real cups, which are great track tires, and the N-rated versions and they are night and day different. Damon from Tire Rack wrote a post here on the forum years ago comparing the real cup to the N-rated and they are different (photo below is from that post). The rain channels on the N are twice as wide, meaning you have that much less contact patch. The rubber formula is very different too, re-formulated for superior cold and wet traction, or something like that was written by Michelin / Porsche. To me, the N-rated felt like a PS2 compound on a modified Cup tread pattern. Lap times and G-loading were almost exactly the same between 19" PS2s and 19" N-rated Faux Cups on the same car (mine).

Unfortunately, there really aren't many dual-purpose track oriented tires out there in 19" format. Hoosiers are fantastic, but not a street tire and won't last that long. RA1s were great, but not even available in 18" Porsche sizes any longer. R888 are OK, but man are they loud on the street (drone headache after 4.5 hours driving to / from The Glen). And on and on...
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
There are no N-rated track tires. They slapped the N rating on a Faux Pilot Sport Cup, but it's not a real cup. I've driven both real cups, which are great track tires, and the N-rated versions and they are night and day different. Damon from Tire Rack wrote a post here on the forum years ago comparing the real cup to the N-rated and they are different (photo below is from that post). The rain channels on the N are twice as wide, meaning you have that much less contact patch. The rubber formula is very different too, re-formulated for superior cold and wet traction, or something like that was written by Michelin / Porsche. To me, the N-rated felt like a PS2 compound on a modified Cup tread pattern. Lap times and G-loading were almost exactly the same between 19" PS2s and 19" N-rated Faux Cups on the same car (mine).

Unfortunately, there really aren't many dual-purpose track oriented tires out there in 19" format. Hoosiers are fantastic, but not a street tire and won't last that long. RA1s were great, but not even available in 18" Porsche sizes any longer. R888 are OK, but man are they loud on the street (drone headache after 4.5 hours driving to / from The Glen). And on and on...
Hey Ron,

See post above... have you used the Corsa system? I got a good review of these from the rental race car company at Nurburgring, he said he recommends the Corsa over Michelin Cup for the Porsches. The Corsa also comes in N-rated.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard good things, but I think the Corsa is discontinued. In any event, they were extremely expensive. Like $2300 for a set?!? Really trying to figure out myself what comes after my RA1s are used up...
Old 09-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pirelli Corsas are easily the best tyre for the 911 if its not a dedicated track car as they perform great on both road and track, plus last a decent amount of time too.

The new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a close contender with better wet traction but the Corsas are still the better tire in the dry and for track use.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:49 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had very good luck with the N0 rated cup tires. I've been through two sets so far this season. For a change, I bought a set of Hankook Ventus R-S3 tires last time. I've run them for 200 miles on the track and they've performed well. Once up to temperature, they're quite soft and exhibit good grip. The car is fun to play with on the limit and has very good turn-in. They do have more limited endurance than the cups. The grip falls off around 15-20 minutes into a session. The cups could run for a full 30 mins.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

just removed my RE-11's and put on PSS. Have about 500 miles on the PSS and I want my RE-11's back

One of the things that I always found a bit amusing was when people would write a tire review and start by saying "...my tire x was down to the cords so I put new tires on - these new tires are fantastic". Well, at that point, anything round and made of rubber will feel better LOL.

Not wanting to do this, I removed the RE-11 with quite a bit of tread left so it would be a better comparison.

I don't pretend to be an expert racer, nor an expert in rubber compounds; this is just one man's opinion.

Before mounting the RE-11 I had PS2 and the original RE050A's that came with the car. I found the RE-11 to be better than the PS2 in pretty much every way. Even wet grip was comparable - i don't drive like a nut in the rain so can't really say this for sure. Was also pleasantly surprised at how they behaved in the cold during the winter.

The PSS is clearly superior to the RE-11 in the noise / comfort dept. they're almost too comfy. it feels as though the car is just not as sharp.

I haven't had it on the track yet, but i've done all the roads/curves i'm very familiar with. no doubt the dry grip is not up to the RE-11. turns at the same speeds do not give the same sense of confidence that i got with the RE-11's. In fact, i'm probably down a few mph in most of the turns on my usual "circuit".

My car is not my DD so I'm not concerned as much with noise/comfort. If you DD the car and looking for a great street tire, you'll be very happy with the PSS. If you've used R-Comps, RE-11, etc. and like them, you may not love the PSS.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had my dealer tell me that they do not have the Michelin Super Sports in stock. They did say that they would order them for me if I would like. So they didn't say they wouldn't install them but just not stocking them on a regualar basis. I had a great deal on them from a local dealer so I went that route this time. Overall I can't really give a real review as my PS2's were down to the steel belt. I will say that so far I am pleased with them but when you take a 600 mile trip with bad tires and then replace them anything feels great when replaced. I would recommend them if you are looking at PS2's as a replacement.

Quick Reply: Michelin Super Sports??