Michelin Super Sports??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Super Sports??

Okay, so I called my dealer and asked for a quote on a set on Michelin Pilot Super Sports for an '06 Carrera S which sees occasional track time, and I am told that this tire is not approved by Porsche.
But other Rennlist threads speak of it's use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
Okay, so I called my dealer and asked for a quote on a set on Michelin Pilot Super Sports for an '06 Carrera S which sees occasional track time, and I am told that this tire is not approved by Porsche.
But other Rennlist threads speak of it's use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
They are not N-rated so Porsche says don't use. I have them on my 08 Turbo and think they are great. Lots of debate/discussion about this over on 6speed.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
Porsche works with the top tire manufacturers to qualify some of their designs for the extreme range of use a Porsche permits. With the same car, though usually different owners, we do everything from 150-mph Autobahn runs, to track and autocross days where high lateral loads dominate, to winter driving that amounts to off-road conditions. And of course all of us do very-high-torque departures from a standstill.

Since no one wants to keep a crew in the garage to mount the best choice from among half a dozen compounds, a certain multi-purpose nature is needed in Porsche tires. Most tires do that of course, but not with the extreme demands of use in each purpose that a Porsche can manage.

The rating program determines that a tire can reach those extremes for whichever set of purposes it intends to meet, and that it can do that while not interfering with the various systems on the car. Right now, we have... what is it? Three different classes of tires available with N-rating? We have "Summer High Performance", Winter, and "mostly track-oriented" with the Cup tires.

The Super Sports design will be for Summer High Performance, but -- for a quick guess -- the N-rated version may need a thinner tread than the ones being sold now. Certainly, it is a premium tire from a manufacturer who knows how to meet demands of Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini performance, so using it won't be a problem in terms of conflict between systems on the car. I wouldn't go for it if you plan any four-hour tours at 150 mph, but how many of us can look forward to that kind of day?

For anything less demanding, including track work, the Super Sports is fine. We've had plenty of owners confirming that already. It doesn't conflict with the ABS, the PASM, or the PSM systems. Absent those conflicts and if you don't plan long runs over ... say 130 mph, you have no problem mounting this new design. I plan to myself later this month.

Gary
Old 09-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks friends. I had ordered a set earlier this morning, then the guy at Porsche threw a wrench in the works with his statement. Didn't want to wind up with $1400 of useless tires.
When in doubt, all the experience represented in this forum is really a help. Much appreciated!!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I am in favor of N-rated tires for a number of reasons. However, we are at the end of the 997 line and PAG will now N-rate tires for the 991 instead. I suspect the Michelin PSS will be rated for the 991 but perhaps not for the 997, we shall see. However, the PSS was extensively tested on the 997 and the test data exists, confirming that it's compatible with the 997 platform and its performance envelope exceeds the PS2's performance envelope. I would not have an issue installing PSS on on a 997.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i see those 20" rims on a 991 car, then look at prices of 20" extreme performance tires and it pops a question - WTF?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Installing PSS's next week.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

I have the Super sports on my car and have had no issues. Currently at around 2300 miles with 3 days a the Glen. The wear looks fine to me. They are good dual purpose tires. They are not 'great' track tires.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i see those 20" rims on a 991 car, then look at prices of 20" extreme performance tires and it pops a question - WTF?
Do not worry. The people who will buy the 20"-rimmed 991 S are going to use the car, for the most part, as an executive express and boulevard driver. The tires will last a long time.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I have the Super sports on my car and have had no issues. Currently at around 2300 miles with 3 days a the Glen. The wear looks fine to me. They are good dual purpose tires. They are not 'great' track tires.
Which N-rated tires do you consider 'great' track tires ?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

None
Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Which N-rated tires do you consider 'great' track tires ?
Aren't the Michelin Cup tires N-rated? Or is their dual-purpose nature what renders them less than great on the track? I'm having a little trouble shifting gears into the 21st Century, you see. When last I was serious about track work, we had road tires which might be great at "fast driving" and race tires which were 25% better on track but absolute rubbish if you went on a road where a maiden's tears had fallen within the last hour.

Now we have this range of R-compound tires I know nothing about, but from conversation here I gather they are workable on public roads yet they reach well over toward the grip levels of our race tires.

Gary
Old 09-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

The Michelin Cup tires are indeed N-rated. It's a good tire but I'd go to an r rated compound for the track like a Hoosier if I wanted a great tire. I tried the Cups once and didn't like them. Others may well consider the Cups as 'great' N-rated track tires. Since I no longer trailer I have settled on the Super Sports as dual purpose and I think they do a very good job in that role. I'll buy another set.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

The MPSC is a track tire, but not a full slick. It's actually not a very good street tire, especially in wet. The Hoosier is a slick tire.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

I have super sports on my GT3 right now. Not as good as the sport cups on the track, but having gone through 2 sets of tires in 2500 miles (75% track, 25% street), I thought I'd compromise. Super sports good for the money and possibly best dual purpose tires. Don't worry, Hoosiers or more MPSC are coming my way soon though!

Quick Reply: Michelin Super Sports??