Sponsored by:

Sedan/SUV for under $50,000

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There were incentives from BMW in addition to the Eco Credit, an alternative fuel tax credit, my BMWCCA rebate, and the negotiated price prior to incentives was under dealer invoice. Mine is a lease as well, so I didn't get it for the long term (after many BMWs, I have learned not to own them outside of warranty). I'm hoping the upcoming Porsche Cajun (or whatever they end up calling it) will be a keeper.
I am hoping for the Cajun release as well when my lease ends, but if not, I will probably go 991 coupe. Owning any BMW out of warranty in today's world is not good. Even CPO warranty is not comfortable to me. but, I would have no problem owning a Porsche CPO.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I looked at the Q5 2.0T, X3, X5d, Cayenne V6, and Touareg TDI. Ended up with an X5d in December; with incentives and discounts, it was just under $50k (~$64k MSRP). With 20" wheels, sport and cold weather packages, and all nav/audio options, any of the others would have been much more expensive, and only the Touareg would have had monster torque. Handles great, and so far averaging ~23 MPG in mixed driving.
Wait...you got a new X5 Deisel for $14k off list?

I'd rather pay a little more and get a deal like this on a X5 deisel than the Audi Q5...tell me who and where!!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd rather pay a little more and get a deal like this on a X5 deisel than the Audi Q5...
That was my thought exactly. While I prefer the Q5's smaller size, I did not have a great experience with my S4 Avant or the local dealers, and with the Q5's sloping rear hatch, I didn't find the cargo area particularly useful for an SUV. With high demand for the Q5 2.0T and short supply, dealers were unwilling to negotiate, so the X5d was better value. Performance and fuel economy numbers are about the same.

It roughly broke down like this - $63,XXX MSRP, $58,XXX dealer invoice (negotiated price was right around this number). Less the $3,500 Eco Credit (still in effect), $2,500 holiday incentive (they probably have something similar at this time), $1,800 federal tax credit (expired 12/31/10), and $1,000 BMWCCA rebate (if you are a member and eligible).
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Because you're getting a 911 your wife should get some sort of cool car. Lots of great suggestions already. Two more: a CPO Range Rover if you're the gambling type or 2005 G500 which also falls under $50k if you can find one.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many kids? - means not only how many kids do you two have, but how many "friends" will need to be carted around? team sports here?

How "sporty" does it need to be "for her"?

My wife has told me once the kids are "out", she expects to be back in something like she had before the minivan - say an Audi A4 Sedan.

My short list of "go to" fun, sporty cars

1) GTI
2) Mini Copper S (Hartop, or Clubman for me, but I know, too small)
3) STI (I know, too similar.. but reall? is 305hp similar to her current one?)

is fuel mileage a concern? Jetta TDI diesel? Maybe a new Passat TDI? or Passat CC? Spending $50K to watch 50% disappear before the contract is signed just doesn't seem great.

Will this be a lease? Finance purchase?

Don't give into the SUV hype.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
talked to my dealer today, he said 500 off for new clients is max, also he said cali dealers are all asking 3-5k over lately so doubt they will even sell for MSRP.

goodluck tho, they are hard to find....
Just got back from the dealer. MSRP was the best they would do for the V6 that's coming in 2 weeks. So, no discount at all. Our original budget was $50k OTD. This car would be around $63k OTD. Decision time... Hold off on my 997.2 and get wife a new car and my 997.2 will have to wait a while longer. You know what they say, Happy Wife=Happy Life...
Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 AM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Because you're getting a 911 your wife should get some sort of cool car. Lots of great suggestions already. Two more: a CPO Range Rover if you're the gambling type or 2005 G500 which also falls under $50k if you can find one.
RR is not gambling, it's almost a sure thing that it'll cost you $$$$
Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 AM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Originally Posted by racer
How many kids? - means not only how many kids do you two have, but how many "friends" will need to be carted around? team sports here?
We actually don't have any kids yet, but planning on having 2 kids. We would like to upgrade before the kids get here, or else we're going to feel too overwhelmed with the additional expenses.

How "sporty" does it need to be "for her"?
Tough call on this one. Want something that drives like a sports car and not feel like a minivan. That's why I don't like the Lexus/Toy options.

My wife has told me once the kids are "out", she expects to be back in something like she had before the minivan - say an Audi A4 Sedan.
A4 is on the bottom of the list.

1) GTI
Also too small

3) STI (I know, too similar.. but reall? is 305hp similar to her current one?)
they only come manual, wife doesn't want manual. Or else, this would have been a great option.

is fuel mileage a concern? Jetta TDI diesel? Maybe a new Passat TDI? or Passat CC? Spending $50K to watch 50% disappear before the contract is signed just doesn't seem great.
Very true. From my research Cayenne has one of the highest resale value compared to Audi, VW, MB, or BMW. [/QUOTE]

Will this be a lease? Finance purchase?
Goal was $50k purchase from savings. Don't really want to Finance this one. I might finance a part of the 997.2 or not buy it now since they are so high. My 997.2 budget is $60k which i'm about $20k away from 09 C2S Cab PDK. Cheapest one I've seen is $75k

Don't give into the SUV hype.
Not giving into the Hype. Bottom line is, I was looking to upgrade to 997.2 for myself (currently driving 1999 3 series with 174k miles). Wife has 2008 Subi Impreza. I drive 5-7 days/week. Wife <3. So, after numerous discussions, I think we're going to sell my BMW, keep her Subi and get a larger sedan/SUV and hold off on the 997.2 for now. Not practical to replace both cars if we're trying to save and start a family. Plus, wife and I both like the Subi. So, if I get a new(er) car and pass on the 997.2., she'll keep the Subi.

hmmm, the more I think about this plan, the more I think it was my wife's plot the entire time for me to not get the 997.2...

As I mentioned in other posts, Happy Wife=Happy Life.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dagolfpro
RR is not gambling, it's almost a sure thing that it'll cost you $$$$
I am now starting to realize this. Slowly, but surely, as my Range Rover nears 40,000 miles, everything is coming apart.
$2,500.00 for a parking brake sensor....does that sound high to anyone besides me?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

get the 997.2 and pick up a cpo lexus GX470 for under 40k. buy her something nice with the $$ you'll save and you have the happy wife / life lined up!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:42 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
I am now starting to realize this. Slowly, but surely, as my Range Rover nears 40,000 miles, everything is coming apart.
$2,500.00 for a parking brake sensor....does that sound high to anyone besides me?
Weren't you the guy defending the RR to the death
Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up pulling the trigger on a GMC Yukon Denali today to compliment my C2S. Figured we need a family hauler. I tried many of the larger suv's out there and though that the Yukon drive the best for the dough.

After rebates, I got it for $53 pretty loaded.

Good luck in your search.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Weren't you the guy defending the RR to the death
I was until the last few thousand miles and with the warranty about to expire, I have some concerns.

I am most likely trading the Range in for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.
I am very impressed with the new Overlands, inside and out.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taurus AWD SHO, its a really nice car for the money! Loaded, these cars sticker for less than $50k new and are lots of fun to drive!

Quick Reply: Sedan/SUV for under $50,000