Sponsored by:

air intake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 AM
pabafree95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake upgrade

Has anyone with a 997.1 upgraded to a dual air take system requiring to cut the 2nd opening in the deck? If yes, can you share how it changes the sound or performance? I am know that an intake upgrade alone wouldnt add much by the way of hp gains per dyno #'s, but wondering if this added intake makes acceleration more joyful especially at the higher rpms . thanks much.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the x51 power kit air box on my 997S. Here's a pic below. I believe that's the box you're referring to. Along with the air box, I also installed the x51 headers, 200 cell sport cats and FVD mufflers. I did a thread covering the install. You can find it here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68228

The intake seems to add a bit of intake howl, but at full song all you can here is the glorious exhaust wail. It's truly spectacular!

I'm certain the car is making more power now. No dyno runs to give you an exact #. The biggest difference from the driver's seat is how quickly the motor spins up to redline in the first few gears now. If I'm not keeping a close eye on the tach, the engine is hitting the rev limiter way before I expect it. It just keeps pulling harder and harder with no drop off of power up near redline. I think it's making max power now when it's reaching redline.

So to answer your question, yes, acceleration is def more joyful at higher RPM's with the air box and exhaust mods. I can't really answer how the intake alone would effect the drive. I did the exhaust swap first. So should you!

Good luck with your modding, and enjoy the ride.

Phil
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 AM
pabafree95
Advanced

that looks tight. very nice. i appreciate you posting the link and pic. from a mechanical perspective, would does allowing the engine to 'breath easier' allow it to actually run more efficiently, in-terms of maxing power and better for the engine overall?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:15 AM
pabafree95
Advanced

one last question - just looked at your link - the air box alone goes for about $3400 you say, and that is just the box (along with filters inside) is that correct?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for starting the thread - I am considering this upgrade myself. I'm a little surprised about the cost of the airbox - it has gone up about $2k in a year, I believe, which makes no sense.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by pabafree95
that looks tight. very nice. i appreciate you posting the link and pic. from a mechanical perspective, would does allowing the engine to 'breath easier' allow it to actually run more efficiently, in-terms of maxing power and better for the engine overall?
Doing this type does allow the engine to breath easier. You gain some HP in reduced pumping losses but they're probably not measureable. The engine will spin up faster as it's not as "choked" as it was in stock trim. As far as efficiency and being "better" for the engine, I doubt that that is the case.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

one last question - just looked at your link - the air box alone goes for about $3400 you say, and that is just the box (along with filters inside) is that correct?
Yes, this mod allows the engine to breath better thus making it more efficient. Same idea with the exhaust. An engine is akin to an air pump. The more air (and fuel) it can pump with each stroke the more charge is getting compressed into the combustion chamber. The better the cylinder is filled (and evacuated), the bigger (and more powerful) the combustion event.

I wouldn't say that it is "better" for the engine as far as engine health goes.

Yeah, the box is prohibitively expensive. $3400 buys the box, filters and the plastic bit that clips into the new hole in the decklid. Plus you'll still need a new oil fill tube, as the original is too long to clip into the carbon air box. Actually there is a different wire harness also available for the mass air flow sensor too, but the original can be made to fit just fine.

There are a couple other viable air box options available. If anyone's interested we could discuss those.

Phil
Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It might be worth taking note that the center, final, intake airflow duct (MAF/IAT mounting point) has about the same CSA as ONE of the 2 atmospheric intakes/openings. Airflow restrictions are airflow restrictions regardless of placement in the intake stream. Plus which what is the CSA around the throttle plate itsself...??

Quick Reply: air intake upgrade